1/48 Supermarine S6B

Thanks. Looking better as it goes along.

I did a little more and got the covers attached. Not too clean, but I'll straighten the edges out. I'm using a toothpick to apply small amounts of Mr Dissolved Putty around the edges, and then wiping it off quick. I'd rather build up small layers rather than gob it on and have to do a lot of sanding. Still need to, of course, but the lesser the better!

I also painted the interior details black, and I'll glue a curtain of plastic between the halves as a light block.

nTbXnnf.jpg

D9ZJ4wv.jpg

87EkYFK.jpg

• Like 3

I'm trying! :D Pretty sure it won't be done for the end of the GH, but that's okay. I'll continue in the main aircraft forum.

Tonight I got a little closer, this time in the cockpit. I put in a firewall, and a little more detail on the floor, with some styrene runners and the flats where the rudder pedals around going to be.

Cei3HXc.jpg

Here's the new seat cushion, and the backrest just sitting in place.

AWVzblD.jpg

I still need to do the pedals, as well as the lines leading back along the sides, and start on the instrument panels. There is one down low on the floor, in front of the stick, that'll have two instruments, plus the five on the main panel just under the coaming. I have some unused decals from a Tamiya Corsair that'll be used.

MjRssox.jpg

And I've ordered some PE bezels, that should be here in a week or so.

And now, back to work tomorrow...:rage:

• Like 2

If there is any wondering, this is the reason why it needs a light block. The exhaust detail, I think, were too fragile to be ground down to clear the join between the nacelle bumps and the fuselage. So, I cut out some plastic to make room.

MX86Cf7.jpg

And, I think the sanding is almost done, except for just smoothing it out.

TjDH4bW.jpg

57UGntO.jpg

And with that, off to work!

:penguin:

• Like 2

It is here! I got a little more done today, in the cockpit.

I got the 'rudder pedals' in place, as well as their control lines. (Those pedals look a lot better from the outside!) The one on the left has since come out, which is good as I still need to add things!

Onwqt4a.jpg

FyYM6tx.jpg

Then I started on the coaming, where the canopy's front edge hinges to. It's just thin styrene and a cut peice from tube plastic for the curve.

niQBr6C.jpg

A little fettling taking place. The triangle left on is just something to hold onto.

4MTinLI.jpg

NnJSwZF.jpg

cSs8sMh.jpg

Then it was glued to the right side and trimmed to fit.

mmG3N5b.jpg

LNrvQGy.jpg

Next, I'll start work on the IP, which will go under that part, as well as having some hoses underneath it. The bezels should be here in a few days, then hopefully I can start painting this up and closing the fuselage.

Maybe I should get started on the floats...

• Like 3

Another update brings me to the floats. Since I don't have a beaching dolly and I want her to sit nose level, I added weight to them in the form of Plumber's Putty.

z9T9eOi.jpg

iRkjsfI.jpg

That were, of course, then glued and set aside to dry.

AW2IwjC.jpg

After that was a quick pic of the instrument panel, made from styrene, styrene rod, metal wire and PE bezels.

VrXlShp.jpg

It's not perfect, but it'll sure do!

• Like 2

Okay, I know the deadline has been extended to the 14th, but I still won't be finished. :P No big deal though, as I'm not a fast builder any way.

So saying that, some more progress pics!

The cockpit is pretty much done, except for paint and dials. The seat is done too except for belts, which will be PE. And I need a control stick, but that can be just a simple length of rod...

zweuInK.jpgcAn5QTk.jpg

MA23xcD.jpg

It's a little rough here and there, but much of that will be hidden by the narrow view into the 'pit from above, so I'm not concerned. Now, onto paint for that part!

As for that, the pics I have show a dark grey IP but with a bright green color for the rest of the interior, and that's from two planes, both a restored and non restored, and also from a colored diagram.

And I need to do a headrest. Forgot that part. Oh, well, always more to do...;)

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 2

Excellent scratch built interior! Don't worry about the deadline. I'm also a slow builder and don't think I'll finish my entry either before the deadline. Please keep updating your thread nonetheless, as it is a really interesting build and should become a great finished model!

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much! I have some paint on order for the cockpit. I'm going for Tamiya Park Green, which looks to closely match the color in one of the pics I have. But it will take a bit to get here, so the build is on hold til then. While I'm waiting for that, I'm going to jump back onto the Matchbox build of my 1/72 Lancaster.

Wish me luck!:penguin:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I really love your build. I hope you will post more. I started mine a few years ago but never finished. You inspired me to finish mine. I will follow your lead in the fantastic upgrades. I have about four or five of these kits and was planning to convert one to a S5 in the future. It looks like that it would be doable.

Edited by Otakar

I am using a bit different method for the exhaust openings. I decided to scrape the inside of the fairing until I scraped almost to the level of the openings and than I removed the remaining thin layer with a hobby knife. It came out perfectly. 

IMG_3496.jpg?t=1555364869

IMG_3497.jpg?t=1555365058

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Otakar said:

Since Photobucket now charges for any pictures that are shared with other sights, I no longer can do it that way. I am not going to pay to post pictures. It seams like a URL is the only way to post pictures here.

Actually, now they don't...  at least the ones left on PB now show though with 'proudly hosted on photobucket' overlay.   

Flickr are still free, but capped at 1000 photos.   

Your images need to be hosted somewhere online,  and the url added here, so if you have some webspace,  or even on Facebook, and then right click, ''copy image location' and paste in.

I only mention Facebook as many people have accounts and they host photos..... 

HTH

I found that it might be easier to just start from almost the beginning than to continue the original build. I did absolutely nothing in the cockpit which I should have. One thing I did do was to sand the wings down and re-scribe them with recessed panel lines. To do the blisters according to the available pictures from the museum will take some work though.

IMG_3498.jpg?t=1555427578

Edited by Otakar

• 3 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 11:15 AM, Otakar said:

I found that it might be easier to just start from almost the beginning than to continue the original build. I did absolutely nothing in the cockpit which I should have. One thing I did do was to sand the wings down and re-scribe them with recessed panel lines. To do the blisters according to the available pictures from the museum will take some work though.

Sorry I didn't see this reply before! Your plane is looking good. Do you have a build thread for her?

New build thread for this plane is here,