TRUMPETER STURER EMIL

Good evening all.......I've posted this as it might be my next build when the SIG33 and Wespe come to an end. I have a partial built Sturer Emil by Trumpeter.

jnKyUK0.jpg

I started it a few years ago and just had too busy a life since the top came off the box back then to finish it.

Now my issue now is........I've lost the instructions....:swear:

My request to get this one back on the bench is, has anyone done this kit and do you still have the instructions. Some scans emailed would be perfect. If not, I'll have to wait and see if they turn up one day.....:idea:

Simon.

Cheers Sairou, that's fantastic......just what I needed...:yes:

I've done a few step's already, just needed to check some detail and make sure I don't fit something in the wrong sequence.

I have a PE set for it also. So this weekend I am going to asses what i need to do and make a plan. I'd like to get this one done. It will be nice to have all the odds and ends e=finished from the aborted many attempts to do my hobby in the past.

Thanks again mate.

Simon.

• Like 2

Evening all.......just finished looking over the pile of bits on this one.

m10wgxQ.jpg

Quite a rag tag pile. I discovered I actually started putting together some of this with soldered joints....(that was a revelation)...don't remember doing that.

HJeDGw5.jpg

Some of the Voyager PE frets....lots of tinny bits (bugger...:swear:)

tU0HK5f.jpg

BOztVUF.jpg

The fenders......halfway done. First time I've done fender replacements.....looking forward to seeing the result myself.

g5BW1p5.jpg

Internal view. I might try and put actual wood planks in-place of the ones moulded. I have some stirring sticks from Starbucks that might

fit the bill...have to see.

wWKecTE.jpg

And the main gun......I think I got it from RB...not sure now. It has the resin gun mantlet with bolt detail......I might take them off and

use the bolts I got from Masterclub. They'll have more definition. You got to give it to the Jerries...when they put a gun on an AFV, they

don't do it light heartedly do they.....wouldn't liked to have been in a T-34 at 2000 meters to be sure......:huh:

ZrSclJ3.jpg

Anyway chaps.........tempted to shelve the Wespe and SIG33. But I think I'll get them done, before I get my teeth into this one.

Night all

Simon.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, spitfire1677 said:

Fantastic looking build so far :) I have this kit with all the bells and whistles you have in the stash, I have put it off for a couple of years now as the Voyager PE looks like to much hard work. But I may have to break to out soon.

Hi Spitfire, I have to be honest; getting back into this one after re-boxing about three plus years ago....I'm starting to realise why.....:swear:. The PE is a nightmare. If you start it, I can't wait until you get to the shell racks.....they have been designed by a PE sadist. I've done both. Both differently. They are impossible to bend the way they are designed - the sequence makes no difference. The first one I finished and then discovered as the instructions aren't clear I had missed a bend all together. So had to dismantle the whole thing, clean off the cryo, flatten and bend again. That one needs major repairs. The second I sat for nearly 15 mins, but discovered it can't be bent. So after many expletives that one needs repairs too......crap. I have a good mind to buy the aftermarket canvas cover and be done with the interior..............:swear::swear::swear:

When you start it mate, let me know and I'll try and keep some notes to help you out. At least eliminate the trial and error I'm going through....but I will persevere....:D

Regards

Simon.

On 07/12/2017 at 10:51 PM, Blaubar said:

Great one there and all that PE!

I am in! That gun is huge

14 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Very nice mate, will follow this one with interest. 

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Nice progress, A whole load of PEs, often work ... I do not envy you ... lol, a very curious subject...:popcorn:

Cheers mate :yes:

Cheers chaps

It is a whopper Blaubar........and as I said to Spitfire, the PE is a "whopper" of a challenge too. I might have to consider building the shell racks out of styrene strip. I'll have to see what my mood is in the morning. I just had to call it a night after screaming so loud I got complaints from the family.....:think:

Thanks Kev........I hope to keep this one going as a filler in between my other two projects on the go, so might be a low burn......I'll do my best to keep posting regular as I can.

Thanks Francis, and yes to the PE and I don't envy me either mate.......:unamused:. Plus I am discovering a lot of issues with the kit I created back then. My gluing technique wasn't as clean as now. So lots to clean up hear and there. Still, onward and upward......

Have a good night chaps.

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1

Evening all. Late night post.

Not much to show for a snow day....on and off efforts. I decided to concentrate on component PE parts as I need to get the primer off the chassis before I can start adding the fender parts in PE.

Managed to get the hand grenade base's, headlights, horn, no-tek light, MP40 racks, "Jerry"can frame (interesting, no strap to hold them in), tool box's, rear convoy light, partial jack block and the infamous shell racks......:think: The jury is still out on them and maybe still be remade with styrene.

Anyway, off to figure out how to strip the Tamiya primer that the chassis is in. I heard oven off or maybe medical alcohol.

vQhvV2w.jpg

Night all.

Simon

• Like 7

13 hours ago, AgentG said:

Very nice work.

G

Hi G

Cheers for that. I’m getting back into the swing of things again. 

2 hours ago, Soeren said:

1/16th PE is already tiny. But this 8O

Hi Soeren

yes. My eyesight is at its limit on some bits, even with a magnifying lamp. I think I’ll look more like a watchmaker than model maker😊..... I think I might put on my Christmas list a set of magnifying glasses next year....🤓

thanks both for taking a look

many regards

Simon

Hi all, hope the night is going well.

As I was house bound due to the ice and unable to get out. I managed to get something done in between chores etc. I managed to strip the old Tamiya Panzer grey off the chassis today. Picked up some really good stuff from B&Q. No fumes, water soluble and took it off in an hour.

Started to finalise the fenders and ammo containers. But once I did a dry fit of the wheels, I really need to get on with the tracks. It'll be nigh on impossible to fit them once the fenders are on the chassis....so next step the tedious task of putting the tracks together. I can't remember now if this kit came with the separate links I have, as I also have the all in one's too in the box too. The separate link ones are OK, not brilliant. But they'll have to do.

ay3wdKV.jpg

Night all.....hopefully I'll have the tracks on their way to completion.

Simon.

• Like 6

Cheers guy's

I actually enjoy the PE Glynn, good challenge. Although it can push you to the edge sometimes........:D

Well it's track day for me from now on with this one. Trying to figure out the build schedule with the tracks being in two pieces, (top run and bottom run).

Cheers

Simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I hope your festivities went well; weather permitting. The weather at least gave the excuse to get some table time in. Managed to get some of the Sturer done (and finished the SIG 33, see other post.......:idea:)

So far all the fenders are on. I decided on some battle damage, not too much, and one missing section to expose the tracks. Headlights, and front fender bits all on and wired up......at present getting the tool attachment parts in position. I intend to paint the tools separately this time and add at the end.

97LTNko.jpg

All wired up.......

xFFAx7y.jpg

I have to admit I gave up on the workable hinges, and will go for no front fenders (battle damage.....:D....) I also wasnt too fussy as regards perfect alignment of the fenders. I like the slightly off kilter look. Looks more used.

TmsZjLd.jpg

Overall, a tough one to get through, but will persevere. I'll switch over to the Wespe and see if I can knock that off first.

XBFELOU.jpg

vimLKq7.jpg

The pencil lines on the deck floor are there as I intend to re-timber them with Basswood planking. I'll have to paint the deck section first then add the wood.

Cheers all, off to post the SIG33 (finished at last)

Regards

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

Evening all. I hope your all well. Havn't had much time lately for the bench, but have tonight to myself; so managed a little work on this hand-full. Decided after an aborted attempt to use HobbyBoss tracks for this one to go for the Friuls......all I can say is gorgeous....what a dream to put together. A million miles away from Masterclub stuff.

Anyway. Managed to get the tracks on for a test fit. 

fF9YcdP.jpg

All the tools have clamps and ready for painting. Just put in place to test location. I also decided to go ahead with re planking the fighting compartment. It'll look better as regards the wood brain and I can rub gently with sandpaper to get a worn areas where they have been standing. Still have to tackle the shell racks. So getting ready for that........:huh:

jjBFrxs.jpg

DPJYALZ.jpg

K5HcdJI.jpg

Right side tracks. They really give this one some weight I have to say. Also the drive sprockets come with the tracks as they need to be the correct width as the Trumpeters one's are a little too narrow.

VFnbOtF.jpgAnyway, that's it for now. I might shelve this one for a bit and concentrate on finalising the last detail's on the Wespe and SIG33. Painting will have to be held off a ittle longer. So I might in the end start another to keep me busy. Have a good weekend all.

Regards

Simon.

• Like 10

Hi Spitfire. Thank you.

I have be honest, this one is turning out to be a real tough one. Getting the tracks on with the brass fender work is a nightmare. So I'm going to get as much done on it then await the time when I have my painting area set up. I need to take the tracks off one last time. Paint and weather them. Then paint the running gear area. Fit the tracks and then I can add the front sections of the fenders. Mask out the track area and then finalise the painting of the upper hull.

So a bit more work on it. Then shelved until later in the year along with the others awaiting their undercoats etc. I'm weighing up another build. Deciding between a Tamiya "Stuka Zu Fuss" or a Sd.Kfz.11 Leichter Zugkraftwagen 3t by AFV. Have to see.

Thanks again for taking a look mate.

Cheers

Simon

• 5 years later...

did you get this one finished? tempted by it, sort of put off by the rubber band tracks in the kit but thinking what if the prototype the russians captured was put in to their service... 4BO, big red stairs and red russian slogan.... think it would look immense

14 hours ago, robw_uk said:

did you get this one finished? tempted by it, sort of put off by the rubber band tracks in the kit but thinking what if the prototype the russians captured was put in to their service... 4BO, big red stairs and red russian slogan.... think it would look immense

Hi Rob, how are you. Unfortunately mate it had to be canned and to the breakers yard. It was too severely damaged in storage last year when I had to pack up the bench as the room was used for guest to stay. It's on the list to do again though as it'll be a part of the Panzerjäger series I'm working on. The problem being the photo-etch is hard to find now specific to the Trumpeter kit. I still have the barrel. So if I see the photo-etch, I'lll pick one up again and complete it.

Sad to hear that, Simon.

The problem being the photo-etch is hard to find now specific to the Trumpeter kit.

Couldn't you just relocate the PE parts from the damaged kit to the new one, or 

are these destroyed beyond that point?