+++ British AFV Group Build Now @ 30 !

Hello Fellow modelers ...  We have Multiple successful Single type Builds for Armor. The M3/M4 last year. The Panzer IV, Mk.VI Tger, and Patton S.T. builds earlier this year. Currently we have the T-54/55 build running. With T-34 & Panther Mk.V next year. Let me ask you this question? Would there be any interest in a Group Build of British Armored Fighting Vehicles ? This would most likely be in 2020 or later so plenty of time to gather everything together. This would cover From 1945 to present and each has countless variants and progeny to offer up as options. 

Im just curious as it seems we have interest in both German, US , and Soviet Armor. However no one has offered up British Armor ? I’m proposing this as a group build that will cover British Armored Fighting Vehicles and Tanks. This would incorporate all British Armor produced and operated by any country from January 1st 1945 to the Present day. This of course would include both UK & Commonwealth units. 

Since this build has gone through a few rewrites. As a result of this I've been asked to clarify the rules. To Clarify the restrictions or rules for what is allowed this is what is allowed. 

A.) The Vehicle of choice would need to be operated By the British military, Commonwealth, or others post January 1st, 1945. To clarify things. This includes AFV’s and Tanks procured, built, or used in WW2. If they saw use after January 1st 1945 they are good to go. So for example a Cromwell, Comet, or Churchill built in WW2. If the vehicle type was used after the 01/01/1945 it counts, and can be used in the build. This also includes tanks that were built in WW2 and used into the Korean war.

This group build does also include specialized vehicles that didn't originate as an Armored Vehicle originally. Which includes jeeps, lorries, and Technicals that have been field improvised with armor and armament. Lorry soft-skins that have some form of defensive armament. They do transport troops so in a sense are APC’s if they have armor and/or armament ? Mine resistant Armored personnel MRAP’s vehicles are included. Specialized vehicles operated by Special units are ok if they have armor and armament. So long as any of these were made, procured, designed, or used post January 1st 1945. 

Im sure there were plenty of types built and used during World War Two that were  also operated by the British and Commonwealth after the war for varying lengths of times. Again if you or anyone else is interested but are not sure please contact me. I would be glad to research and give you an answer. Im always looking for input and help so please feel free to offer ideas and/or constructive criticism.

I realize this might upset some of the original joiners of this group build. That isnt my intention. I asked for input and votes earlier towards this idea. The results are in and of those who voted this was how the votes tallied out. Final count was 4 votes in favor of inclusion of all AFV/APC. And 2 votes of inclusion of all “C” Type tanks. This is 6 of 13 members. Less than 50%, however it seems no one else voted. So I will incorporate both post 1945.

“ALL SCALES ALLOWED”

Now some quick ideas for the qualifying variants. Heres an Airfix 1/72 centurion kit.

ANKWhIS.jpg

Another one is this Centurion in Australian service. 

aRQUNBz.jpg

Then heres a quick look at a couple of kits of the Chieftains. First up is this Chieftain Mk.2 from Takom.

D4pd1Ae.jpg

And an interesting option with the Berlin Camouflage is Takom’s Mk.10.NNASksy.jpg

Next up is a Tamiya Challenger Mk.1.Jx4r5vy.jpg

and a Tamiya Challenger 2

q1NP7kg.jpg

As there are a substantial number of Variants, Versions, and Prototypes just in British service I cant write down all of them. If anyone knows of a type they would like to build. That or an offshoot that they are not sure about please ask ?  I will investigate and let you know. 

🔺-Standard build rules apply such as the 25% rule.

🔻If you are using individual track links talk to me as i consider those to be a kit in there own right. 

🔻I will hold the same absolute here as I did with my Patton build. NO WHIF’S - there are so many  versions and sub-types of these that we dont need paper/imaginary tanks. 

🔹 I will consider working prototypes so long as they aren't paper projects. A paper project is just another form of whif to me.  please ask i will research and advise. 

🔶 = I am happy to announce the Two Co-hosts will be Threadbear and PantherII. 

INTERESTED MEMBERS

🔶1. Corsairfoxfouruncle - host

2. DAG058

3. Patman

4. Dads203

5. Arniec

6. PlaStix

7. Plasto

8. SleeperService

9. Bullbasket

10. Etienne

11. sampanzer

12. Blitz23

12a. Giorgio N.

14. Sgt.Squarehead

15. Badger

16. Julien

17. MarkSH - Churchill 

18. AndrewE

19. bull-nut - Warrior/Charioteer

20. Sabre_days - Challenger 1

21. Kallisti

22. Rob G

23. Hewy

24. Badders

🔶25. Threadbear - Co-host.

🔶26. PantherII - Co-host

27. GREG DESTEC

28. exdraken

29. Yetifan

️30. wimbledon99 

31. Mig eater

32. Enzo matrix

33. Col.

34. Softscience

35. Swat11

36. John

Dennis

* any photographs used are strictly information use. All rights belong to original owners.
Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Re-write of the rules for clarification.

@DAG058, @Patman, @Dads203, & @Arniec ... Im changing this too a Standard Group build. This will still cover the Chieftain and all of its Variants. I’ve decided to take it to the three MBT’s used by Britain since 1945. Please feel free to opt out if you want to. Im hoping i can still count you in. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dads203 im glad to see someone with the Accurate Armour conversions interested. I looked at there products and really liked what i saw. Im really not able to purchase any of them. But would be happy to see them in use.

Its your lucky day then :D as they say on the TV “ Here’s one I prepared earlier “

• Like 1

I copied and pasted this as i was unsure which you would see first.

Hello glad to try and answer this. A group build is a timed build in this case 4 months from opening to close. You can usually have some work already started with the kit but almost never more than 25%. I would think with armor that would cover the tracks alone if you use Aftermarket Individual tracks by companies like Friulmodel. You are usually limited to types and or era’s. In this case post World War Two. You would also need to have a picture hosting ability to do a work in progress. This to show that the kit is mostly instarted As well as the progress and any modifications you are doing. And after the allowed time the Group votes for the favorite and runner ups. If you're interested you can follow the link to the group build section and sign up. Theres nothing set in stone until it gets 30 signatures to move it to  the voting stage in november of 2018. If we survive votes we get the dates for the group build. If not it comes up in 2019. Hope that helps. 

There are Four Single type group builds in the Future group build category. The First one is starting on December 30th and covers all versions of the Sherman/Lee/Grant chassis. Then we have the Panzer IV, Patton, & Tiger tanks to follow. You may sign up for anyone of them or none its up to you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Dads203 ... I went through your Chieftain Mk.11 build. My hats off that is a superb piece of model building. 

Thank you :yes:

For anyone looking at building a Challenger 1 

A bit of inspiration for anyone thinking of joining in the GB :D

best save what pics from my builds as Mafia Bucket are going to take them down soon as I refuse to pay the extortion fee.

BR

Dan 

• Like 1

Hello fellow members and anyone else reading this. Some of you may be aware that I am advertising this build in the Cold war armor forum. I did the same with my Patton STGB. There has been some discussion there about the scope and angle of this build.

I feel that AFV/APC’s could get there own build. I also Feel that this should Focus on post war types. Considering that is quite a large pool as is of types/variants to pick from. That being said I am here to open this up to discussion. 

🔺 - I am open to having a vote on the inclusion of AFV/APC into this build to expand the idea to all British Fighting vehicles not just the Three tanks. 

🔺 - I am open to having a vote on the inclusion of WW2 Tank Types that served Post war. Including Comet, Cromwell, & Churchill. 

Please let me know what you think ? I dont like either idea to be honest. However I am open to changing my mind to some degree and encourage discussion provided both it and we stay polite and friendly. 

Have a great modeling day.

Dennis

Additional