+++ British AFV Group Build Now @ 30 !

Hello Fellow members Im here to correct a possible slight injustice. In my less than scholarly knowledge of British Armor it seems i have made a mistake. I had thought that the Challenger 2 was just an Upgraded Challenger 1. I’ve been informed they were two seperate tanks that share a name. So please forgive me and understand they were both part of this group build. I guess that means we have Four tanks not three. My thanks to the Etienne for pointing my mistake out to me. 

Dennis

Hello fellow members im here doing a bit of Cheerleading for this Group Build. This is my Third attempt at a Group build idea. You may remember the first two. The first was the Movie and TV Aircraft build. Which has been rolled into the film, fictional & speculative Group build . My 2nd was the Patton Tank STGB for which i am always looking for more recruits. 

This group build is designed to cover the Main Battle Tanks of the British military since 1945. Lets start with the Centurion, and go over some of the production models. First up is this kit from airfix in 1/72nd scale. 

ANKWhIS.jpg

These are merely examples and im not familiar with quality or accuracy. Second upnis this version from AFV club.U1gHsUC.jpg

This particular version saw combat with the Royal Australian Armored Corps. in Vietnam. Another from AFV club is this Centurion 5/2.

b4txXE3.jpg

which i believe represents an upgraded main gun. Last kit here is a Centurion Mk.5 with a Dozer blade. This one is from AFV club.USEhmCL.jpg

Here are some photo’s of some of the Engineering versions of the Centurions including the Dozer tank above.Fi2f2Js.jpg

Next up is an example of a AVRE or Armored Vehicle Royal Engineers. K7LB86G.jpg

This is an example of an ARV, or Armored Recovery Vehicle.

SqdjMcI.jpg

Or a variant of this ⬆️ is this a BARV. A Beach Armored Recovery Vehicle. I’ll be a bit honest ive always had a softspot for BARV’s. Both the Sherman variant and the Centurion version.

Ubm9dcF.jpg

Last but certainly not least will be the ARK. Which is similar to a bridge laying tank but designed to form a ramp to go over inclines. 

D0h9en8.jpg

Next installment of cheerleading I will attempt to show some foreign versions of the Centurion. Have a great modeling day. 

Dennis

* any photographs used are strictly information use. All rights belong to original owners.
Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Correction
  • Like 1

Hello All just a bit of cheerleading here. Lets look at a few foreign operators of the Centurion. First up the Australians, the first photo shows a Centurion doubling as a double-decker Bus. q3XbbuH.jpg

And heres another Australian Centurion in use in Vietnam. gXAvUTM.jpg

Next up is an Israeli S’hot or S’hot Kal with reactive armor. 7a5uZdQ.jpg

Last up is the Oliphant Mk1.a and Mk.2 tanks from South Africa. Both are modified and upgraded Centurions. First the Oliphant 1a ⬇️mymbzIL.jpg

Next the Mk.2 ⬇️

pvYpCDt.jpg

This is just a touchstone of the users. I will post more photo’s of foreign users here soon. 

Dennis

* any photographs used are strictly information use. All rights belong to original owners.

Hello Fellow members a quick addition looking for my recruits. Lets look at a few Centurion APC’s Three from Israel and one from Jordan. First is this Hobbyboss kitbUAnVAn.jpg

of an Israeli Puma. Next up is an Israeli Nagmash’ot.

YuhqpG0.jpg

Last up from Israel is the Nagmachon APC

QIUcZPX.jpg

Last up is a Temsah APC from Jordan. 8dhfUwl.jpg

Just a few options to consider. Im not sure about the Nagmash’ot or  Temsah in model form. Though neither looks to impossible to scratchbuild. But i do know the others are available in kits.

Dennis

I though quite a bit about this... I'm really mainly an aircraft modeller although I've built a few small scale tanks in the past. A couple of them were British postwar tanks (what little I know about tanks is mainly on postwar types) so this is not totally new territory for me. Not totally new but not something I often do...

However, as group builds that cover "non aviation related" subjects rarely happen, I feel that it would be good to get back into tanks and support this proposal, so please add my name to the list !

I have a couple questions though: is the GB meant to cover only those 4 types? Or would all postware British tanks be covered ? The Conqueror was a postwar type, not an MBT strictly speaking but undeniably a tank (and a recent kit exists in 1/35 scale), would this be eligible ? What about the Charioteer ? Not a brand new tank maybe but still a postwar development and IIRC there are conversion sets on the market.

And what about the Scorpion ? Ok, it's not really a tank but would you consider opening the GB to this very succesful type ?

• Thanks 1

You are signed in Giorgio 👍 thank you for joining.

I think somewhere on the first page i have included the option to expand this build to other types. I offered all the members the option to vote on this. I will put you in as a expansion to other types. 

• Like 1

🔺TO ALL MEMBERS 🔺

ANYONE THAT SIGNED UP FOR THE BRITISH MBT BUILD. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PULL OUT OF THIS REVISED BUILD I UNDERSTAND. I WONT ASK YOU OR BEG YOU TO STAY IT IS ENTIRELY UP TO YOU. THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST. 

Please have a great modeling day. 

Dennis

Dennis :bye:

I applaud you for sticking to your guns with this. 

It is not easy to get a GB off the ground, and when you do, there will always be quite a lot of people that say why don't you add this, or that or everything.

I think you should stick to the original idea, British MBT's, and run the group build on the 4 tanks mentioned and I'm quite sure you will get the numbers you need.

Sign me up, and If you are still looking for a co host, then i'd be happy to help out.

Mad Steve 

• Thanks 1

Count me in. I have a Cheify, 5 x FV432s and a Saladin in the stash.

Is it just for MBT or all AFV/APC as I saw a post which said this and then only MBT?

Julien

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Julien ... Original it was only MBT’s. I’ve since opened it up to all British AFV’s designed and built since Jan. 1 1945. So all of your options are good. I will certainly sign you up. 

Excellent.

If you are doing British designs from this period then dont forget the Vickers MBT, deisnged here but not used by the British Army.

Not sure if anyone does a kit of it though?

Julien

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have one AFV in my stash bought ages ago, partially started (<25%) and abandoned mainly through lack of knowledge of the subject, it happens to be Tamiya's 1/35th Churchill so I may throw caution to the wind and give it ago.

• Like 2

Put me down for this one please, no idea what I shall build yet though. 

• Like 1

Hello Fellow Forum Members... Just thought I’d Bump this back to the top of the pile. Im always looking for Recruits and if you’re interested please sign-up. This build will need 30 signups to be considered in November. Then it will still need to get through Novembers voting, if it survives would be in later 2019. Plenty of time to choose and gather everything together. 

Dennis