+++ British AFV Group Build Now @ 30 !

5 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I also had a chat with the staff from AFV at the show & found out that the Centurion Mk.I will finally be released around Christmas this year.

Now that would be nice to see. May have to reconsider my build choice now ? 

1 hour ago, Mig Eater said:

cent1.jpg

I be;ieve that AFV Club have the designation of this vehicle incorrect.  It is actually a pre-production A41, not a Mk.1.

There were 20 pre-production vehicles.  T352417 was P11.   The earlier vehicles carried a 20mm Polsten cannon in the turret, as shown in the photo, but P11 onwards had the cannon replaced by a BESA machine gun.

P11 was part of Op SENTRY, where A41s were deployed to Germany for field trials shortly after the end of the war.  It carried the Op SENTRY logo and the name "Sheila" on both sides of the turret, which seem to be visible in the photo. 

• Thanks 1

The kit includes both the Polsten & BESA so you can build it as either the prototype or production Mk.I, I know because the Mk.III shares a few parts with the Mk.I kit & comes with nearly a sprue's worth of unused Mk.I parts.

• Thanks 1

Is this potential GB just for armour ?

Many topics concerning AFV include 4 wheel vehicle such as Bedfords etc. 

Granted it is referred to as a 'Softskin' but so often they are linked ?

I have such a 4-wheel soft skin by Bandai and it might just be an opportunity . . . . .

9 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I have such a 4-wheel soft skin by Bandai and it might just be an opportunity . . . . .

To your first question the answer is yes.

To the next question see the next post.

And for the third question if you still aren't sure let me know what it is, and your thoughts why it should be included. I will review and give you an answer. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I just reviewed and added some new rules that cover this type of vehicle. Here is a quote. 

“This group build does also include specialized vehicles that didn't originate as an Armored Vehicle originally. Which includes jeeps, lorries, and Technicals that have been field improvised with armor and armament. Lorry soft-skins that have some form of defensive armament. They do transport troops so in a sense are APC’s if they have armor and/or armament ? Mine resistant Armored personnel MRAP’s vehicles are included. Specialized vehicles operated by Special units are ok if they have armor and armament. So long as any of these were made, procured, designed, or used post January 1st 1945. “

I hope this helps you decide if your subject matter counts ? If you still aren't sure please let me know and i will review the vehicle ? 

Dennis

I have the Bandai 48th Austin K5 kit that I would like to build  . . . .

So I've done a bit of digging, it meets the criteria of service use. It was purchased and procured in 1945. Two it has a history of use post war both in Britain and other locations. I found pictures of its use all over the world including former colonies and non colonial locations. Three it has a turret ring and in some variants were used to mount and fire A/tank guns so it does or can carry armament. My last question was it armored ? In some cases i think yes, in particular the Anti-tank carrying versions used in North Africa. I can see plate armor sitting on either side of the gun, not just the guns own forward plate.
    I did find some examples with what appears to be folded down armor plate around the cab. In the first photo note that the serial on the door has a horizontal line running through it. It looks to my eye that theres a hinge and numbers painted below the plate. So that serial is visible either way.

https://m.facebook.com/austinmilitarylorries/photos/a.879869245490411/879869252157077/?type=3&source=43&refid=56

In these photo’s it looks like some type of armor plate is hinged down in front of the main windscreen. 

https://m.facebook.com/austinmilitarylorries/photos/a.879869245490411/879869255490410/?type=3&source=43&refid=56

https://m.facebook.com/austinmilitarylorries/photos/a.879869245490411/882495828561086/?type=3&source=43&refid=56

These verify in my mind they did indeed wear some kind of armor plate. Which then qualifies them as some sort of armored people mover ? Yes its a loose connection and very debatable however in the interest i think I can allow your soft-skin in provided it has these features. A turret/gun ring in the roof and some type of armor even if its folded down. If you're planning on doing the Anti-tank gun it wont qualify as it precedes the dates for the build.  

Dennis

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

The GB is currently last place in the poll thus far, I thought there would have been more interest in a British GB given the name of the forum 😦

I did to when i started it but seems to be not all that much interest. Ive had to change it continuously to keep it interesting. Ive tried to encourage people in Armor to come look at the group builds available. So hope that may get some to vote. If we don't make it this year we get a 2nd chance next year. We also have a Bumper crop of great build options to choose from this year. Which makes it harder for people to choose. 

On 12/6/2017 at 12:33 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@DAG058

3. @Patman

4. @Dads203

5. @Arniec

6. @PlaStix

7. @Plasto

8. @SleeperService

9. @Bullbasket

10. @Etienne

11. @sampanzer

12. @Blitz23

12a. @Giorgio N

14. @Sgt.Squarehead

15. @badger

16. @Julien

17. @MarkSH Churchill 

18. @AndrewE

19. @bull-nut - Warrior/Charioteer

20. @Sabre_days - Challenger 1

21. @Kallisti

22. @Rob G

23. @Hewy

24. @Badder

🔶25. @Threadbear - Co-host.

🔶26. @German Armour - Co-host

27. @GREG DESTEC

28. @exdraken

29. @Yetifan

️30. @wimbledon99

31. @Mig Eater

32. @Enzo Matrix

33. @Col.

34. @SoftScience

35. @swat11

I know some of you have voted, this is a friendly reminder to check out the group build poll and vote. I hope to see this through but if not we get a 2nd chance next year. 

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Sorry to all the members that voted for this and signed up for it. We will get a second chance at this next year. If anyone has any ideas for the build, or think they would be a better motivator to try and get it through please contact me ? 

Dennis

Hello everyone... Ive discussed this with Enzo and Ive decided to withdraw and end this build. Ive started a new build which is more inclusive here. 

If you're signed up here and wish to stay please go to the new build and sign up again. 

@DAG058

@Patman

@Dads203

@Arniec

@PlaStix

@Plasto

@SleeperService

@Bullbasket

@Etienne

@sampanzer

@Blitz23

@Giorgio N