+++ British AFV Group Build Now @ 30 !

I almost signed up, but noticed the start point is post 1945.  I've no modern subjects in the stash, nor am I inclined to add to the pile, but still wish this one a good luck.

regards,

Jack

Hello @JackG ... If you have questions I would gladly answer them. You're correct the starting date is January 1st 1945. That does include types used in WW2. The tank/afv would need to have been used or procured after that day. So a tank designed and built in 1944 yet used in NWE in the last months of the war is allowed. 

To help Clarify the restrictions or rules for what is allowed.

A.) The Vehicle of choice would need to be used after January 1st. 

B.) The vehicle of choice would need to have been purchased by the British, Commonwealth, or Foreign military( Army, navy, marines, or royal air force) after January 1st.

C.) The vehicle would need to be designed after January 1st 1945 (Centurion, Chieftain, & Crusader). 

D.) The vehicle had to be built  in Britain or  a Commonwealth after  the date of January 1st 1945. 

This includes tanks like the Late Churchill’s that were built and used into the Korean war. Im sure there were plenty of types built in and used during World War Two were operated by the British and Commonwealth after the war for varying lengths of times. Again if you or anyone else is interested but are not sure please contact me. I would be glad to research and give you an answer. Hoping you have a better idea about the build and change your mind. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

In the interests of solidarity with my fellow modellers (even if the poor benighted beings do grub around in the dirt), add me to the list if you will Dennis. I have a Berlin Brigade Chieftain from Takom to do, which fits in nicely with the GB's original remit.

Of course, the chance of me actually finishing it bears some resemblance to the chance of a plasticene dog catching an asbestos cat in Hell, but ay-up lad, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was planning on a Berlin Brigade Chieftain myself originally. However i may go with something else possibly an Aussie centurion from Vietnam ? 

Dennis

Don't let my plans stop you from doing what you want. If I do manage a BB Chiefy as an entry, it will be nice to have another interpretation in the GB. If I don't manage an entry, it'd be a crime to miss out on one of the most distinctive camo jobs done on any tank, ever. I have the AK Interactive (or is it the MiG Ammo??) paint set for the beastie, so the hardest part is done.

I also have an AFV Club Centurion (but not the Aussie one, sold that a couple of weekends back). So I's gots options (and I saw a photo of a Chally 2 in interesting colours a few months back...)

Please continue with your original intention!

Its more Financial than any other reason. I am restricted by budget to purchases only a few times a year. I tend to buy my kits for the group builds coming up next at that time. It really Just depends if i have the budget at the time for the next few builds. Nothing to do with you wanting to build it. 😉

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

22 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nothing to do with you wanting to build it.

Fair enough. If you don't yet have a kit for this GB, the world is your mollusc of choice. Choose away, good sir!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Dennis,

I was spun around and pointed in this direction by Stix, as I'd mentioned I was interested in suggesting a Churchill STGB.

I see now that this thread isn't for suggestions, but here I find an excuse to build a Churchill. The only problem is, I'm normally WWII subjects ONLY and I'm a bit unclear as to whether a Churchill built pre-1945, and used in NWE up to the end the war is 'allowable'. The other rules would suggest it would have had to have been in service post WWII as well.

I would definitely take part if a Churchill that saw active service up to the end of WWII were allowable, but would have to have a think about whether I'd break my rule and do a post-war vehicle.

Badder

Edited by Badder

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi Dennis,

I was spun around and pointed in this direction by Stix, as I'd mentioned I was interested in suggesting a Churchill STGB.

I see now that this thread isn't for suggestions, but here I find an excuse to build a Churchill. The only problem is, I'm normally WWII subjects ONLY and I'm a bit unclear as to whether a Churchill built pre-1945, and used in NWE up to the end the war is 'allowable'. The other rules would suggest it would have had to have been in service post WWII as well.

I would definitely take part if a Churchill that saw active service up to the end of WWII were allowable, but would have to have a think about whether I'd break my rule and do a post-war vehicle.

Badder

Was it in use after Jan 1st 1945? If so then its allowed as per rule A)

8 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Was it in use after Jan 1st 1945? If so then its allowed as per rule A)

Hi Kallisti,

This is what confused me - the question mark at the end of this quote:

On 3/5/2018 at 6:20 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you have questions I would gladly answer them. You're correct the starting date is January 1st 1945. That does include types used in WW2. The tank/afv would need to have been used or procured after that day. So a tank designed and built in 1944 yet used in NWE in the last months of the war is allowed ? 

Edited by Badder

Sorry Kallisti, i was unable to continue typing after the quote in the previous post. I have issues with that and the '@member's name' function, so don't think I was being abrupt/rude

I was unclear because the quote ends in a question mark and doesn't state YES A TANK USED UP TO THE END OF WAR II IS ALLOWABLE.

The rest of the rules muddy the matter, talking of purchase dates procurement dates and design dates as having to be post Jan 45.

Does the subject have to meet EVERY RULE, or just

SOME of them?

Rearguards,

Badder

1 hour ago, Badder said:

So a tank designed and built in 1944 yet used in NWE in the last months of the war is allowed ? 

Yes thats just my mistake way at writing. Sorry @Badder & @Kallisti a tank operated in NWE. post Jan. 1st 1945 is allowed.

Please try to understand that when the build was 1st proposed it started as a Chieftain Single type build. Thats was morphed into a post war “C” Tank build. Which then through popular consensus morphed into a post war all armor thing ?

Honestly if you wanted to try and do a “Churchill” build i wouldn't stop you ? Im not so sure this build should happen ? Its become this ever changing thing and im not 100% happy with it as is. 

However in an attempt to clarify my muddy rules. 

On 3/5/2018 at 12:20 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This includes tanks like the Late Churchill’s that were built and used into the Korean war. Im sure there were plenty of types built in and used during World War Two were operated by the British and Commonwealth after the war for varying lengths of times.

So a Churchill procured in 1944, operated in NWE in the winter and spring of 1945 does qualify. I will attempt to re-write the rules today so they are clearer. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

I`d be up for this at no 23? Does this include all British AFVs built after 1945? Armoured Cars, CRVTs, FV432s etc or just main battle tanks or variants of? 

Having read the thread, I would suggest that this GB doesn't include AFVs designs that were used in WW2? So the Comet, Cromwell and Churchill are out of the equasion even though they were used post WW2 in Korea etc? 

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

I'm up for this , put my name down please

My apologies for taking so long to answer. I have added you to the list. 

2 hours ago, Badder said:

You can add me for starters. (or should that be 're-starters'?)

Im happy that “clarification” helped. Ive added you to the list. I will try and do a re-write of the rules today.

2 hours ago, Threadbear said:

I`d be up for this at no 23? Does this include all British AFVs built after 1945? Armoured Cars, CRVTs, FV432s etc or just main battle tanks or variants of? 

Having read the thread, I would suggest that this GB doesn't include AFVs designs that were used in WW2? So the Comet, Cromwell and Churchill are out of the equasion even though they were used post WW2 in Korea etc? 

To your first question - Yes. To your statement in the second paragraph. 

On 3/5/2018 at 12:20 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You're correct the starting date is January 1st 1945. That does include types used in WW2. The tank/afv would need to have been used or procured after that day. So a tank designed and built in 1944 yet used in NWE in the last months of the war is allowed. 

To help Clarify the restrictions or rules for what is allowed.

A.) The Vehicle of choice would need to be used after January 1st. 

B.) The vehicle of choice would need to have been purchased by the British, Commonwealth, or Foreign military( Army, navy, marines, or royal air force) after January 1st.

C.) The vehicle would need to be designed after January 1st 1945 (Centurion, Chieftain, & Crusader). 

D.) The vehicle had to be built  in Britain or  a Commonwealth after  the date of January 1st 1945. 

This includes tanks like the Late Churchill’s that were built and used into the Korean war. Im sure there were plenty of types built in and used during World War Two were operated by the British and Commonwealth

In this quote, I believe this includes AFV & Tanks that were used in WW2. And continued being used post war. That includes tanks or AFV built in 1944 or earlier, that was eventually used either in NWE after 1/1/45 or post war WW2 in Korea. As ive explained to Badder the Rules are confusing as this build has gone through three complete changes and ive attempted to modify and amend the rules to suit. Im hoping this clarifies things a little. Im also hoping you will decide to sign up. I know you gave a tentative yes already. However if the rules don't make sense, i will take your name off the list if you would like. 

Dennis

21 minutes ago, Panther II said:

Hi, I might be interested in signing up, would it be possible to do a 

1/48 Military Miniature Series No.94
British Tank Churchill Mk.VII Crocodile
Item No: 32594

top.jpg

Yes the Crocodile definitely can be built. I do believe they were used in Northwest Europe and Italy in 1945. And in Korea in 1950-51. That qualifies this as a good build vehicle. 

Dennis. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes the Crocodile definitely can be built. I do believe they were used in Northwest Europe and Italy in 1945. And in Korea in 1950-51. That qualifies this as a good build vehicle. 

Dennis.  

Hi again, Dennis

Just a thought, but perhaps deleting rule 'C' would help clarify matters?

No tank designed AFTER Jan 1st 1945 could possibly have been used prior to that date.😁 By highlighting that the tank HAD to have been designed AFTER Jan 1st 1945, it implies that no tank used up to and beyond that date can qualify.

Sorry, I understand this is all a bit of a pain!

Rearguards,

Badder