"Are 'Friends' Electric?" The English Electric Lightning F.1 by Airfix 1/48

1 hour ago, Bell209 said:

Yes, you are! Just going through that pain at the moment, although as I'm doing a B.III (Special) I don't have to worry about the bomb bay stuff. I bought a couple of Tamiya folding pliers that are working quite well. About 2/3 through the interior stuff so far with a looong way to go!

Ooh, are you going to do a WIP?

They should be clear panels in a fine metal frame covering the sensors

To be fair most earlier models didn't have them, this recent trend for models to have the clear panels is very welcome but its a shame Airfix haven't shown something of the sensors inside them

Picky aren't I?

😁

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

They should be clear panels in a fine metal frame covering the sensors

To be fair most earlier models didn't have them, this recent trend for models to have the clear panels is very welcome but its a shame Airfix haven't shown something of the sensors inside them

Picky aren't I?

😁

I just did a google. I did wonder why they were clear. The pics I found were solid so I think I’ll carry on with that. “nothing to see here, move along” :police:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The pics I found were solid so I think I’ll carry on with that.

Might be dummy rounds? Could you see any coloured stripes on the missile bodies in the pics? If so one of the BM armourers would be able to confirm!

Keith

• Like 1

7 hours ago, perdu said:

I have seen pictures that showed a kind of lantern glazed front but I agree with you, paint and be damned

If Airfix wanted it glazed they should have said so

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Might be dummy rounds? Could you see any coloured stripes on the missile bodies in the pics? If so one of the BM armourers would be able to confirm!

Keith

Ok panic off. Mr hobby thinners has made it clear again. :police:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, The Spadgent said:

Ooh, are you going to do a WIP?

I would, but posting pics up here is quite painful as I have to keep linking them to my other posts on AMI. I'll put up the RFI for it and the Spitfire XVI here, though.

• Like 1

It would be quite acceptable to have your Firestreaks in overall green. These were often carried as ballast rounds as they generated a small amount of lift. Lightnings selected for display flying almost always had them fitted.

If you google XS904 at Bruntingthorpe you will see it has them fitted.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2018 at 9:00 PM, massimo said:

You did a really good job at every stage and the decalling and weathering brought her to life!!!:clap:

You've got another nice project in mind, from what I can see!!!:like:

Thanks very much.:lol: and yes I’m not lying when I say I’m a little bit intimidated by my next choice. Excited too.;)

On 27/01/2018 at 10:35 AM, Bell209 said:

I would, but posting pics up here is quite painful as I have to keep linking them to my other posts on AMI. I'll put up the RFI for it and the Spitfire XVI here, though.

Ok cool. But excuse my ignorance, what’s AMI?

23 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Looking quite splendid, I look forward to seeing her on her legs.

Martian

Thanks. Me too. Nearly there now.

22 hours ago, Scarlet said:

It would be quite acceptable to have your Firestreaks in overall green. These were often carried as ballast rounds as they generated a small amount of lift. Lightnings selected for display flying almost always had them fitted.

If you google XS904 at Bruntingthorpe you will see it has them fitted.

Aah cool thanks for the info. I have actually done them white now. I hope/think that’s ok?

18 hours ago, Leonl said:

Caught up now. Proper good job there, spiffing I say!

Why thank you sir. 

A little hung over as I was out with our kid last night. (Always messy) so here is what happened over the past day or two.

I need to power through now and get this show on the road. Masking mojo ahoy and POP!

26070619718_6bbf536af4_b.jpg

Weathering time! note the anaemic wheel wells. These got a metallic blast then it was time to test the cheap AB and metal varnish thinner.

39044740635_735e757b4b_b.jpg

everything seemed to work well. No clogging as yet. I cleaned everything out, fingers crossed for next time.

the gloss dried over night and I started the oil wash.

26070620948_ed09c640e4_b.jpg

here’s the start on the front.

WIP on the rear.

26070628208_6a0bc41efb_b.jpg

and the wing.

26070622118_738aeac0ff_b.jpg

The wheels got done, tyres to do.

25071322727_630fcd9b2c_b.jpg

Legs with an oil wash.

39942874271_ba8b1fa2a5_b.jpg

And the covers. (I forgot the decals):o I’ll try and squeeze em on after the fact. Wish me luck.

all done, I’ll leave it and check on Sunday. (I haven’t been to have a look yet) 

28163218449_5dbaa91532_b.jpg

remember the Wells?

28163217979_91df45503f_b.jpg

I’m falling in love with oil washes. :wub:

The cans look the part too.

39910753392_240180e7f6_b.jpg

Looking at it this morning I’m happy with that. I’ll pop up to the grotto later and see what the damage REALLY is. More soon.

hope you all have s lovely weekend. 

Johnny boy.

• Like 11

Johnny Cold...!!! ;)

How's it going, my mate? Much better now? Your electric fella is turning into a beauty Lightning. I've got the Airfix kit and the Aeroclub T.4 conversion set to go with it + the QMT detailed cockpit set as well. Will use yer thread to detail the Airfix kit - especially, what you did to the MLG bays.

Now playing:

Cheers, Johnny! :cheers:

Unc2

PS: Me hasn't looked quite well, but are there any Eduard photoetched flaps to go with the Lanc among yer evilBay collection?

• Like 2

Hello Spad,

What did you use as a blue tack ?

You've got a wonderfull result, beside my own disaster... I'm a bit jealous :P

I used patafix, but the color entered in through some kind of capillarity !

Carried away a bit of gluing stuff and let awful smear of altered color Inside the mask :swear::swear:

So I went back to maskol...

Sincerely.

CC

• Sad 1

Looking very dirty... in a good way

I did find a live Firestreak for you to look at but on the ground it would be most likely to have the protective cover over the nose, so either way will serve

2dguxhz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CC, I normally use Patafix myself, but: I always spray a light Future coat prior to masking, and avoid brand new Patafix to mask. This way I reduce the chance of leaving marks on the bottom paint layer and I can press it on quite hard, to avoid any paint creeping. My :2c:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Coming along verrrry nicely.

Yup, can recommend oil washes.

Pete

Thanks. I’m loving them too. Unfortunately the white spirit I use plays havoc with the Vallejo metal varnish. I’ll have to remedy that.

14 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

What did you use as a blue tack ?

You've got a wonderfull result, beside my own disaster... I'm a bit jealous :P

I used patafix, but the color entered in through some kind of capillarity !

Carried away a bit of gluing stuff and let awful smear of altered color Inside the mask :swear::swear:

So I went back to maskol...

Sincerely.

CC

Hey CC. I used “blue tac” it’s the stuff I use to hold bits and bobs on sticks. It’s got mixed up with a bit of paint here and there but it seems to have worked ok for me.

5 minutes ago, perdu said:

Looking very dirty... in a good way

I did find a live Firestreak for you to look at but on the ground it would be most likely to have the protective cover over the nose, so either way will serve

2dguxhz.jpg

Ooh thanks. That’s one of my last jobs. :penguin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening you lot. After a long walk with the dog and the boy this afternoon everyone was a bit knackered so I managed to slope off up to the grotto.

I took the masking off, I wasn’t worried as I had gloss coated aaaand mat coated. Those decals are safe right? :mellow:

39954620081_630ba8ba67_b.jpg

ooh look some of the lines have come off, aaah that’s because these weren’t top coated. The others will be fine right? :mellow:

39244372914_ab454ef7d1_b.jpg

wrong.:poop: “oh my good lord” or similar was to be heard from the grotto.:rant: I really wasn’t sure what to do here but calmly decided to patch with one of the other roundels.  I thought I’d taken WIP pics of the fixing but I must have been in the zone so I’ll exlpain and show the result.

basically I cut out one bit of red and two bits of blue and added them to the hole. Micro sol added and a Flory wash to bring it all in line.

26082070388_88afb56f21_b.jpg

not perfect but good enough for me. :phew:

As you can see the hound was loving every second of this. Guarding the prize.

39922552682_ef7a2ec98f_b.jpg

More of the little bits got done too.

leg on.

28174979329_0c37126721_b.jpg

and the other.

39922552862_6a30f5caf8_b.jpg

Pipe painted.

39954619471_10dd5b3f05_b.jpg

Tyres done on the back.

39954618561_a8c3cfd717_b.jpg

and front wheels.

39954619031_937364561a_b.jpg

I’ll add weathering powder and Matt them up a bit before they go on.

I popped the canopy off and unmasked.

39056633535_264c139aaa_b.jpg

yay!:heart:

and the other one.

39954619201_6f2c62b56a_b.jpg

double yay!:heart::heart: I also glued the seat back in. 

Right then we are nearly done. I’m off to catch some zeds. Pooped I is.

hope you all had a lovely weekend.

take care and as always, happy modelling.

John.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

PS: Me hasn't looked quite well, but are there any Eduard photoetched flaps to go with the Lanc among yer evilBay collection?

Thanks for your kind words Unc. To answer your question. Yup there are flaps. It’s the Eduard BIG Ed set. There’s loads of CrAzY in there. I must be mad.

• Haha 1

Aargh! The curse of the flaking decal. It seems to happen more frequently recently ( at least to me ). Perhaps it's a result of our increasing demand for thinner decals.

That canopy is splendid, and I also like the underside weathering.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ok cool. But excuse my ignorance, what’s AMI?

Aussie Modeller International website. Many of us colonials frequent it, too.

• Thanks 2

Great save with those decals, and canopy and tires look terrific too :clap:

I know it's too late, but I never mask on top of decals, whatever the protective coat is. Ask me how I know ... :chair:

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1