"Are 'Friends' Electric?" The English Electric Lightning F.1 by Airfix 1/48

Here we are again, another year in the bag, well nearly:penguin:. Now the Float plane GB build has been completed it's time for a shot in the arm with this, my "spanning the gap" or "Christmas" build from 2017 to 2018.

I had planned on going all Spitfire but I don't want to detract from @CedB's wonderful work he's carrying out at the moment.

I scoured the cupboard of joy and like a magnet this one chose me rather than me choosing it. The Mahoosive RED box and the beautiful angles. This piece of 60s aeronautical wonderment begged me to open it up and dive inside.

Looking at the instructions there are three schemes. Two in metal finish. (been there too often lately) and one in full camo with a shiny silver bottom all the way from the 80s. I was helpless so hence the name. Here is a Jet of the 60s with a very 80s paint job.

Ladies and gentle men please feel free to tag along with this lovely little WIP of the.

Englsh Electric Lightning F.1 1/48 By Airfix.

Obligatory box shot as I tend to always do after a nice bench clean up.

24977729798_aff84622b6_b.jpg

Ain't she a beauty.:wub: and now some shots of the sprews.  Not many of them to be fair but they're perfectly formed.

38850411971_3c61aa0f25_b.jpg38134361994_76dc0f8af0_b.jpg

I'll post now as not to lose what I've added.  See y'all in a bit.

Johnny lightning bolt.

• Like 15

Right then that worked. :rambo:

as i mentioned I'll be building this scheme.

24977729238_28728babf4_b.jpg

There seems to be quite a few silver ones knocking about and I fancied something a bit different.:yahoo:

Every thread I have read seems to have folk rushing to buy a new bang seat. I did look but although not super expensive £12  and most were from abroad so wouldn't arrive before Christmas. Si I decided to go back to basics and use the kit parts and scratch something better. thats the BM way after all.  Right?    right ? ........... ok then. :huh: 

23985084687_825a9dcafb_b.jpg

Here are the bits. Not super detailed but not terrible and a solid base to work from. I started with the ejection seat.

38134362534_5bc44bf643_b.jpg

a bit of sanding and my first use of Perfect Plastic Putty for getting rid of nasty pin marks. not bad. :christmas:

pads were added made from Tamiya tape.

38134361064_68c9810ae0_b.jpg

I usually go for Milliput here but this option seemed quicker and more effective.

Dang! Dinner time over. I'll carry on tonight with the bang seat chronicles. :)

Hope you're all having a lovely week.

See you later on.

Johnny.

• Like 17

The Airfix bang seat isn't a bad starting point and, if you're going to model the jet with the canopy shut and/or a pilot in situ you're not going to see much of it anyway.  I've got a Mk. 6 on the go at the moment so, if you don't mind, I'm going to pinch borrow your tape padding and parachute pack plan.

Airfix have dropped one here: despite what the instructions say, XR751 is/was an F. Mk. 3, so no guns and beware of the lower fuselage cable ducts: another member on here recently discovered, too late, that following the kit assembly instructions will have you position them too far forward.  Looking at the colour scheme drawings above (rather than the stencil location drawings) should give you the correct positioning.

• Like 1

Cracking choice! You have my undivided attention; whether this is a good thing or not, I leave you to decide!

A detailed kit or scratch built bang seat can often end up looking better than an after market replacement IMHO.

Martian

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Tubeway Army - what's not to love...

As it happens I'm ripping a recent CD purchase of Living ornaments '80 to my FLAC library as I type this.  I was suckered in by the title, and will probably stay for the Lightning :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike said:

As it happens I'm ripping a recent CD purchase of Living ornaments '80 to my FLAC library as I type this.  I was suckered in by the title, and will probably stay for the Lightning :)

I was suckered too...  I do assume you have Living Ornaments '79 and '81 too ('81 is the rarer Wembly 'farewell' gigs).

I do love the way Jonty has correctly used the inverted commas and the question mark - accuracy is everything - the amount of times I've seen 'our' substituted for 'are' is amazing...

...sorry thread hi-jack over :D

• Like 1

:offtopic: but no, I've not yet got '79 and '81 on disc.  Need to rectify that, so I might put them on my wishlist for Chrimbo.  Now - back to the Lightning japes :)

• Like 2

Off to a great start here, John! :clap:

I'll tag along, if you don't mind :popcorn:

Care to explain the thread title to a poor Italian Fellow with not enough knowledge to decode it? :please:

:D

Ciao

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Damn good show old chap.

Great choice with the camo scheme too.

Why thankyou sir. I hope I do it justice. ;)

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

The Airfix bang seat isn't a bad starting point and, if you're going to model the jet with the canopy shut and/or a pilot in situ you're not going to see much of it anyway.  I've got a Mk. 6 on the go at the moment so, if you don't mind, I'm going to pinch borrow your tape padding and parachute pack plan.

Airfix have dropped one here: despite what the instructions say, XR751 is/was an F. Mk. 3, so no guns and beware of the lower fuselage cable ducts: another member on here recently discovered, too late, that following the kit assembly instructions will have you position them too far forward.  Looking at the colour scheme drawings above (rather than the stencil location drawings) should give you the correct positioning.

Aah yes I think I saw some of your comments on @propforward‘s build. I’ll look out for the cable ducts for sure. Thanks for the F.3  heads up. I tend to learn about the aeroplanes as I build them.

are you doing a WIP? 

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Cracking choice! You have my undivided attention; whether this is a good thing or not, I leave you to decide!

A detailed kit or scratch built bang seat can often end up looking better than an after market replacement IMHO.

Martian

Having the betentacled one olang for the ride is always a pleasure sir. :worthy:

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

Tubeway Army - what's not to love...

I know right. :D

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I was trying to get the title all day then guess what popped in there. :lol:

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

I was suckered too...  I do assume you have Living Ornaments '79 and '81 too ('81 is the rarer Wembly 'farewell' gigs).

I do love the way Jonty has correctly used the inverted commas and the question mark - accuracy is everything - the amount of times I've seen 'our' substituted for 'are' is amazing...

...sorry thread hi-jack over :D

You’re more than welcome. It’s a pleasant hijack. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

:offtopic: but no, I've not yet got '79 and '81 on disc.  Need to rectify that, so I might put them on my wishlist for Chrimbo.  Now - back to the Lightning japes :)

It’s been an 80s bonanza of late on Spotify.:emo:

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Off to a great start here, John! :clap:

I'll tag along, if you don't mind :popcorn:

Care to explain the thread title to a poor Italian Fellow with not enough knowledge to decode it? :please:

:D

Ciao

Thanks G.

Ok here goes. It’s a 60s jet done in an 80 scheme. I was trying to think of something quintessentially 80s and English with “electric” in the title. Aaaand I arrived here.

I won’t appologize for the ear worm as it’s been with me all day and to be fair it’s  a doosie. I’m honoured to have you all olang dear chums. 

Johnny

• Like 3

Interesting Johnny, shall be looking forward. Oh and:

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I decided to go back to basics and use the kit parts and scratch something better

That's what I like to see.

and while I'm at it, couldn't resist, and afterall it is an 80's remix:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

something quintessentially 80s and English with “electric” in the title.

Alright, got it :thumbsup:

Quintessentially English, hence my trouble in getting the reference... :coolio:

Thanks heaps for the clarification, Johnny Numan :)

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok. Back from work, chores done,dog walked, kids in bed....well almost.:blink: ...... right kids in bed. Wine poured and something a bit synthy on the sonos. I can continue.:lol:

here are some more Tape pads added. Maybe not 100% accurate but I’m happy with that.

38818911282_9dcabf725e_b.jpg

38850410111_92c365566b_b.jpg

A bit of Mr Surfacer 1000 and primer for all.

38818908852_4abcdc9ff7_b.jpg

I really don’t think that tape belts would work sooooooo quiche tin to the rescue. Cut to thin strips and glued on tag points alw me to position the belts Willy nilly.

(Technical term)

38818907592_2463e8f53d_b.jpg

I made a little ejection handle? From fuse wire and a plasticard head rest too.

38818906192_b76477e466_b.jpg

starting to get somewhere.  :wicked: I even got to use the punch to make a buckle thingy.

23985083117_8d0ecb8407_b.jpg

after much bending and twisting we arrive here.

38818907772_8a76c4e787_b.jpg

i know you all think I’m mad as I’ll have to paint those belts on but I really don’t care. I’m quite looking forward to the challenge.

and here it is with a whiff of primer.

23985082607_38e538f175_b.jpg

im super happy with that. I think I’m going to go canopy open too.

Thanks for popping by for a swift half. Next instalment.  Paint. :christmas:

As always. Happy moddeling.

Johnny many belts.

• Like 31

6 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

i know you all think I’m mad as I’ll have to paint those belts on but I really don’t care. I’m quite looking forward to the challenge.

I think you'll find you're in good company round here. Anyroad my kind of madness. Like the Tamiya tape pads for the cushions. Great tip, and I like the texture.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

super happy with that.

You oughta be! Foil belts are definitely the way to go in this scale, IMHO. :clap:

And for a man of your skills, some brush detail painting it's going to be real fun :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Some may be aware I am a sucker for a goodly built seat Johnny  ;)

Already outstanding so I will be up here watching from the balcony, I have discovered there is a price reduction on beer and popcorn from the nice lady at the back

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squibby said:

Looking smart, Great work up-detailing that seat!

With the tape pads did you just fold the tape over itself a couple of times to get the thickness? I really like the way they turned out.

Thanks. Yeah, I always have used milliput for such things but I read that someone used tape. I didn’t know how but guessed you just folded it over so I did that, creased it a bit on the way in and cut it to shape. You can fold bits over the sides too to add shape. I do love learning on the job. :lol:

• Like 6