Tiger moth G-ACDC color

neillbill

Started in on the 72 scale Airfix Tiger Moth as G-ACDC to complement the Fox Moth a building.

Got a problem with the red color, the Airfix callout is for humbrol 20 Crimson, but when I look at my tin of that looks way too dark compared to pictures of ACDC on the web.

Anyone built ACDC yet or got a better suggestion for the color?

Thanks

Bill

Hi, I built the airfix kit of this aircraft a couple of years ago and did paint it quite a dark red, think I used Games Workshop paint. Dont remember all the details now but I believe it was originally quite a dark red but is now in a brighter shade. Will check my references,

Cheers, Paul

I believe that the original DH standard colour was a dark red, but a private owner is free to paint his aircraft whatever colour he likes, whether intentionally different from the original or not.  So this may depend upon just when in the aircraft's life you wish to model.

I've seen 'DC a few times in the flesh, although not for some time, and it was quite a dark shade, though bright, direct sunlight can make it look considerably lighter. I suspect that's what you're seeing in the photos.

Personally, I didn't think that Humbrol No. 20 was too far off the mark.

19 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

This is mine. I used a Tamiya red. Knowing how unreliable colour photos were on the internet, and not having the real aircraft as reference, I just went with the Tamiya.

tigermoth_2017_003.jpg

tigermoth_2017_004.jpg

Thanks that looks about right. do you recall which Tamiya red it was? I got TS8 Italian red and TS49 Bright red, the Italian red looks closest?

Next modelling day I'm going to lay down three stripes of white/silver/black then at right angles over that the three most likely reds and see what looks good. Red in particular seems quite sensitive to the under color

Bill

Humbrol Crimson is fine!!!  My 1/72nd Tigers are finished that way.

However deciphering the colour from online images etc can be a bit of a mine filed. But it also depends  if you want to finish it as the real one flies today or in its earlier more authentic  darker colour. Also one thing to bare in mind is the fact the Airfix decals depict the real, full size 'CDC as it is now. That is the font style of the lettering and walkways for example is not to my liking( despite the full size CDC flies in such fonts) I very much prefer the 1930 style font and reggies across the top and across the bottom wings.  Aeroclub did these decals for their kit although the red used on the decal is a bit bright... and probably not really available.  The Pavla kit had the right font for the reg and right colour but it was for G-ACDA.

ACDC was originally a dark Red de Haviland  School of Flying but IIRC it wore a brighter Red at some point in it's long history, we used the old profile for the colour reference, a long time ago. I still have loads of those old 1/72 decals and they're still fine. 

If anyone has built my 1/48 Tiger and not used the Civil Registration, I'd be pleased to hear from them as I want a couple to restore some of my old models.

John

Hi John. Good to hear that you still have some of those decals.  I think I  can help you with the 1/48th ones I'll have a look. Almost certain I have some some where as I had two of your 48th kits and only built one .

Well now I really messed it up, this was going to be a quick oob to go with the Hornet Moth which is now in paint....

But once I start veering off the box stuff then I start thinking get some more decals for the deeper red scheme which leads to looking at alternative schemes which leads to 60 odd quids worth of Moth kits and decals inbound now I have to buy the wife something of equivalent value.

Oh well I was going to get into a 72 scale British civil series anyway so what better than a bunch of Moths.

Bill

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:49 PM, John Aero said:

ACDC was originally a dark Red de Haviland  School of Flying but IIRC it wore a brighter Red at some point in it's long history, we used the old profile for the colour reference, a long time ago. I still have loads of those old 1/72 decals and they're still fine. 

If anyone has built my 1/48 Tiger and not used the Civil Registration, I'd be pleased to hear from them as I want a couple to restore some of my old models.

John

HI John

Could I trouble you for a couple sets of your ACDC decals? Two because of my hamfistedness . I found another Tiger kit, actually your Aero72 one, so I'm shooting for both ACDC plus another scheme to be determined when I get the rest of the Moth thread bits in.

Let me know please how I can pay you

Thanks

Bill

Ahhh, John Aero's lovely 1/48 Tiger Moth kit, one of my all time favourites!

I built this one about 15 years ago. I mixed my own shade of dark red/maroon from Humbrol 19 red with about 10% Humbrol 20 Crimson, if memory serves me correctly. Finished with a brushed coat of Johnsons Kleer. (Mind you, I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, so why can I remember paint mixes from years ago? :smile:)

Tiggie2.jpg

Tiggie1.jpg

Tiggie3.jpg

HTH

John

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...