IDF Puma with Nochri mine roller

06/24

Alongside the mojo restoring airplane builds, my next big build in 1/35 will be this, the IDF Puma (Frankenturion?) with Nochri mine roller. Basically because it looks such a fearsome bit of kit. This will be, by my standards, a somewhat involved project, as you can see from the obligatory box shot:

23972200017_5577dc32df_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

This is built on the old Centurion isn't it?  I love the way the Israelis take the older stuff and modify it into something useable.

That Achzarit I just finished was originally a Soviet T-55 captured during the 1973 war I believe.  Amazing what they can do

with so little.

I like the old Centurions and I think there's an AFV Club kit that may come home with me one of these days.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Your Achzarit is one of my inspirations! If I make a decent fist of this then an Achzarit might be my reward.

Its certainly based on the Centurion, although I think little more than the hull remains (new engine, new suspension, new armour, new interior etc). I'm no expert but I wonder if there's more new stuff than old. I love the idea that this 1940s weapon is still serving in the 21st century.

My biggest fear is the figures - I have no real idea where to start with painting them. And I made such a pigs ear of the 'orrible 'ilux that my confidence is at rock bottom! Still the only way is up. 

Are the Panzer Art wheels a big improvement on the kit ones?

I have some decent research material - but am always open to suggestions for more.

37958629185_80cde3bf6d_c.jpgResearch by jongwinnett, on Flickr

In particular, if anyone has details of the interior layout that would be most helpful - as modelled there is nothing (not even a void really) so it would be nice to open up the hull interior so the characteristic pose with all hatches open and crewmen standing in the back could be modelled. I don't think it would need anything more than a representation so if worst comes to the worst a white plastikard box will have to suffice, I know some of the horizontal surfaces use treadplate but haven't been able to source some for a reasonable cost.

• Like 1

The kit has the original Centurion wheels.  If you're using the Legend late update set, Merkava wheels are appropriate but not universal.  There are photos on the web of Pumas with up to 3 different wheel types - of 2 different diameters (Merkava wheels are smaller)!  I got the rubber tyred type but the steel-rimmed ones are sometimes seen.

The biggest problem with the kit wheels is the vinyl tyres.  These will react over time with the plastic wheels, causing them to go soft.  Allegedly, a thick coat of varnish on the mating surfaces will prevent this, and I've heard of people wrapping foil around the mating surface.  But I'm not willing to risk it.  Vinyl tyres are also very hard to clean up and almost impossible to distress, and don't always take paint well or permanently.  Good for shiny factory new, but not much else.  A smaller problem is that the central grease nipple is missing from the kit hubs.

If you have an interest in IDF I recommend joining the IDF Modelling forum.  There's a whole wealth of research material on there about almost any IDF vehicle you care to name, as well as modelling.  As luck would have it, the site has just opened to new members again - but this is temporary.  The moderator opens it up a couple of times a year.  Unlike many other forums, you can only see the content if you are a member.  So get in there quick.  See links below.

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5718          http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2917

When you get in, try these links.

Engineer vehicles research:  http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

Engineer vehicles links:  http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Engineer vehicles modelling:  http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

• Thanks 1

I sent a message a while back asking to join. Do you think it’s worth another try - I don’t want to be hassling but it would clearly be a great help!

And thanks for the explanation re wheels. I’m nervous of the vinyl tires so will see if I can source some replacements.

I’ve sent another message - although the update says the site is unlocked there still doesn’t seem to be any way to register. But that may just be me being thick, or the fact I’m trying to do it on a tiny phone screen!

The problem with the IDF modelling site is that members are allowed to join for a while, and then it closes. They seem to like membership to hover around a certain amount and anyone who hasn't visited/contributed for a length of time, gets evicted. Once they've done that, they open up to new members again. Keep watching. You could get a message from them soon or in a few weeks time.

John.

• Like 1

It took me several attempts to get in.  It seemed to be that by the time I got the email and tried to register it was closed again.  Persevere.  And then persevere some more: it's worth it if you have IDF interest, if frustrating.  If Kevin The Moderator knows of your interest and thinks you worthy then you should get an email telling you that the application process is open.  Yes, he has had past membership size problems, which is why he now only opens to new members from time to time.  You might want to big up how many IDF projects you have in your stash ........

I looked around for Merkava wheels and the Panzer Art ones seemed best value.  They do at least 3 types: you want 35-011.  There are also solid resin Centurion wheels out there if you want to go that way.  Legend do some, I believe: I'm sure there are others but my feeble brain can't recall who.  Someone does just resin replacement tyres: Firestorm??  MR Modellbau??  But IIRC they cost more than a set of complete Panzer Art or Legend wheels!

You can get Panzer Art in the UK, on line and on eBay.  I generally get mine from Jadar Hobby in Warsaw, who are very good for products of Central and Eastern European origin and in my experience over several years are utterly reliable.  And the Zloty hasn't nose-dived like the Euro, so you can often save up to 10% by paying in Zloty even allowing for your £3-ish card fee.  But you can't do that via PayPal, only by direct card payment.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

I may have been overly facetious with the choice of words.  A bad habit.......  But it does feel as if you're auditioning for membership.  But then surely you have a large IDF stash?  Doesn't everyone...............??;)

Chicken and egg. Access to the site would enthuse me to grow the IDF stash further ;)

Thanks to your advices I have placed an order for a suitable set of wheels.

So, let’s begin.

Clearly if I want to offer even a ghost of an interior, that depends on me being able to open the thing up. The Hobbyboss kit includes an acre of plain plastic between front and rear walls. So, ignoring the instructions, which would have me start with wheels (no longer required) and suspension (boring) I cracked right on to see if I could ruin an expensive kit or not.

Measure twice (ish) cut, well twice too.

27081205769_039ebc3f7c_c.jpgPuma by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38141553944_f7b3a38311_c.jpgPuma by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Moment of truth, does it still look ok?

38141552344_7ddff64d85_c.jpgPuma by jongwinnett, on Flickr

37970338615_3244aca7e3_c.jpgPuma by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I rather think it does. I hope so, anyway.

• Like 1

I guess you've seen the latest Legend Puma addition, the very latest Gal Batash version with the heavy side armour and bar armour.  Yet more ways to spend money...........

Below are photos of interiors that 2 people have modelled (very crudely!).  Best I could find on you-know-where.  I believe they're both based on info in the Desert Eagle book.  I'm sure you can improve on these!

Avert your eyes from the gross anti-skid scree.......  On which subject, you will need some.  I got the VMS product from MAN Models (currently out of stock) but haven't used it yet.  It's on eBay, possibly direct from VMS.

https://www.vms-supplies.com/vms-hull-tex

http://www.manmodels.co.uk/vms-hull-tex-standard-anti-slip--cement-this-is-a-two-bottle-set-1640-p.asp

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322601240395?chn=ps&adgroupid=49939730778&rlsatarget=pla-380792709824&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=114887874&poi=&googleloc=1007144&device=c&campaignid=974198600&crdt=0

AK Interactive make an anti-slip paste in a tube.  Something else I've got but haven't used yet.

file.php?id=20165  DTMzjG.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ah, the VMS link has been saved for some time. Annoyingly I had the chance to buy some at glasgow IPMS show, but didn’t have the Puma at that point yet so didn’t think I needed some. 

I hadnt seen the Legend set. Am trying to   unsee it now. I don’t need another Puma!  If I say it often enough I might believe it!

Made a start on the interior tonight - the bulkhead between the crew compartment and the engine:

38163003834_72577f30e8_c.jpgBulkheads by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38878314901_f20b5ebe8a_c.jpgBulkhead by jongwinnett, on Flickr

And at the front. This will need a hole cut behind the drivers position  - and possibly in front of the commander's seat, I'm not entirely sure what this area looks like but have found a set for the Nagmachon/shot carriers to copy.

27101582469_42068d76af_c.jpgBulkheads by jongwinnett, on Flickr

15 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Well in case Kev hasn't seen it, or needs any more excuse, here is the stunning Batash set from Legend. I can feel my resolve not to spend weakening by the second...

https://hlj.com/product/LEGLF1360

Thanks mate, I've been looking at these, they're are on the pricey side though as much if not more than the kit it's self. 

• Like 1

The drivers compartment and main crew compartment floors are intended to drop in, so I can build up the detail and then place them inside. But it's fun to dry fit.

38899223811_699f947678_c.jpgFloor by jongwinnett, on Flickr

i'm really struggling to find references, so if anyone reading has any idea what the inside of a centurion based APC looks like, or even just the inside of a centurion, please speak up! I don't have part one of the Desert Eagle book series, and I'm loathe to fork out another thirty quid just for references for an interior that will be largely hidden (I know, cheapskate!)

(Thanks to @Das Abteilungfor the shot earlier, Desert Eagle have a few images on their website, and there's a walkaround I found but it barely shows the interior)

• Like 1