SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Fozzy

Hi everyone

I can really see the end of this build racing up towards me now!...I managed to get the undercart done without too many problems ....the next big thing for me really is trying to decide which colour scheme to do!:unsure:

I kind of like the aluminum finish...but is it too boring?:hmmm:....there are quite a few schemes to choose from!...what ever I choose I am kind of governed by how easy it will be to replicate the markings....because they will all have to be copied by hand!.....decisions decisions!!!

Any way ...back to the update on the undercarriage.

Most of this build I have used balsa wood as I find it easy to replicate parts...and looking at the wheel spats I had to make then it just had to be balsa!.....so this first photo shows a small balsa block and a template of the wheel spat.....

G.jpg

Once the spats were sanded into shape I turned my attention to the wheels. I only made half of the wheel and tyre as the other half wouldn't be seen as it would be covered by the spat. There are many different ideas on how to make wheels ...but I always use my tried and tested method of wire insulation for the tyre and plastic sheet for the wheel.

First I cut out the circumference of the wheel from a piece of plastic and then wrap the wire insulation around the wheel....to do that you first have to take out the wire from the insulation and then cut the insulation open so that it will wrap over the wheel disc....super glue does the trick.......here is a photo

G_(1).jpg

I hope the photo shows the method better than my explanation!!:whistle:

The undercarriage main legs were made from a cut length of hard wood.....obviously stronger than balsa as they will have to be  load bearing .....here are the spats/wheels and legs completed...

G_(2).jpg

Locating holes were drilled out to house the undercarriage legs and the two wheel struts either side....and with cut lengths of hard wood for the struts it was all put together using super glue.

G_(3).jpg

G_(4).jpg

All the wood was then sealed and over coated with primer.

So these last 4 photos show that now at long last my Dewoitine is now a blank canvas and ready for the colour scheme....what ever that may be!!

G_(5).jpg

G_(6).jpg

G_(7).jpg

G_(8).jpg

I think what I will probably do is spray the whole thing with Aluminum to get an idea on what it might look like ....if I don't like it I can always over spray another base colour

So I'll be back with some sort of painted Dewoitine rather than looking at all this grey undercoat!!

Until then...cheers for looking in

Fozzy

• Like 12

Very nice wheels Fozzy

And of course, very sexy legs, did you have Rod Stewart on in the background?

Looks smashing, does it help if I tell you I love silver between-the-wars aircraft?

It was like a time of simpler, more innocent aviation

Even for fighter aircraft

(Truth be told I will love it in any scheme you choose)

😀

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

Very nice wheels Fozzy

And of course, very sexy legs, did you have Rod Stewart on in the background?

Looks smashing, does it help if I tell you I love silver between-the-wars aircraft?

It was like a time of simpler, more innocent aviation

Even for fighter aircraft

(Truth be told I will love it in any scheme you choose)

😀

I completely agree with you Bill....We will see what it looks like when the base coats on!;)

• Like 1

Hi guys

All done!:yahoo:

So after 2 months I managed to finish this scratch built Dewoitine D.510 this morning!

Since my last post I managed to add some detail ..like the windshield ( hardest part of the model to replicate I think!)...antenna's as well as the paint and markings job.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my self with this build and it made a good change to the BEAST that shall be named as my B17G!!. I decided in the end to do a metallic finish on this bird and searched photos of all the different Dewoitine's markings that I could possibly copy!...There are many different versions of this aircraft....some with antenna's...some without gun sights...this version that version and so it went on!:(....but in the end I went with a version that wasn't too hard to hand paint the markings!....well I say not hard .....but it was..... due to the fact that this is a 1:48 scale model....good job I didn't attempt a smaller scale!!

I only managed to find one photo of this version which was slightly out of focus and only a side profile and so this will be my excuse for the dodgy markings!:whistle:

Accurate?.... well not really! ...but not far off I would say....but it's the best that I could do with this model!

Here are a few photos of the finished article which depicts a D.510 ....serial no 166 from Escadrille 3C2 of Aeronavale

H.jpg

H_(1).jpg

H_(2).jpg

H_(3).jpg

H_(4).jpg

H_(5).jpg

H_(6).jpg

H_(7).jpg

H_(8).jpg

My thanks to all who have shown an interest in this scratch build and I will be posting more photos on RFI if you want to see more!:)

Well its now either back to continuing with the B17G or maybe another scratch build or I might have a go at super detailing a kit.....choices choices!!

Cheers again for looking in...you may now stand down!:P

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 11

Stand down?

Sorry mate but I can't, too busy standing in 'the salute' to your marvellous modelling

I hope we don't have too long before we get another set of Fozzyness and awesomeness

Lovely model, just lovely

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Stand down?

Sorry mate but I can't, too busy standing in 'the salute' to your marvellous modelling

I hope we don't have too long before we get another set of Fozzyness and awesomeness

Lovely model, just lovely

Cheers Bill!....I have always got some project or other on the go...I really ought to get back to the "Ye olde B17G" but there are so many other aircraft I want to have a go at before I die!!!:pipe:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm in that boat too, s'why I had last year as Navy year

If I hadn't made a stand I might not have ever got round to the Wopse, Gannet and the Buccyneer

Sufficient to say, I'm watching and enjoying when and what you do

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1