SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Fozzy

25 minutes ago, brianthemodeller said:

So were is the update on the build?

On its way ...well in a couple of days that is to say Brian!!;)

• Like 1

Hi there

So finally packed my suitcase away and managed to get into my office!:)

I am going to try and get this build finished asap as I need to get back to the B17G......but scratch building and rushing don't go together ...so I only have a wee progress update!:(

Head rest and exhausts!...not the wing fix as previously mentioned!;)

Here is the head rest I previously made from Balsa attached to the fuselage......

image.jpg

D_1.jpg

At a later stage I will make a head cushion for the pilot bonse!

So down to the exhausts.....I checked in my box of electrical wire and chose the appropriate gauge and then stripped off the sleeve...

D_(2).jpg

Then I drilled out the holes where the exhaust ends will protrude .........

D_(3).jpg

...and with a little touch of super glue small cut lengths were glued into the holes...........

D_(4).jpg

D_(5).jpg

Once they are painted they should look the part!

I'm afraid that is as much as I have managed to do since returning to Bulgaria!.......not very exciting stuff but I'm slowly getting there!

Tail fin is up next....so until then....

Thanks for looking in

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 11

Thursday 18th that was posted...

Three days late!

Very nearly in breach of contract Fozzy! 

🙁

I’ve contacted my lawyers and we have decided not to pursue damages at this point. However, next time you cause me emotional distress by ‘failing to post on-or-about a nominated, scheduled and published date’ We will be seeking to take action through the Bulgarian legal system. 👮‍♀️

Now, let’s try to put this ugly episode behind us. Get that tail fin on! 😀😀😀👍👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Thursday 18th that was posted...

Three days late!

Very nearly in breach of contract Fozzy! 

🙁

I’ve contacted my lawyers and we have decided not to pursue damages at this point. However, next time you cause me emotional distress by ‘failing to post on-or-about a nominated, scheduled and published date’ We will be seeking to take action through the Bulgarian legal system. 👮‍♀️

Now, let’s try to put this ugly episode behind us. Get that tail fin on! 😀😀😀👍👍👍

I am guilty as charged my Lord!..and I except full responsibility. In my my defense I might add that I was delayed by my family wanting to spend quality time with me at this seasonal time of the year which led to me giving them my full attention instead concentrating on the task at hand. I realize my error and have now chained my self to my office desk!

My punishment seems to be working and I am pleased to announce that not only is the Tail fin on but the wings are in position as well ....and because I have learnt the errors of my way I can't possibly say when my next post is but I can say that it might be soon!

:P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well done Fozzy.

Admitting personal responsibility for your actions and failings is a necessary first step on the long road to full rehabilitation.🤔

Now let’s see that tail and those wings.👍

• Haha 1

Hi guys and gales

Its Wings and Things time!.....the worst stage for any scratch build in my opinion!:worry:

The thing is ....attaching the wings can be the make or break of the model....not so bad for a kit as everything is totally lined up for the connection...well it should be if the manufacturer is good....but for a scratch build its almost kind of suck it and see....hours of staring at it from all angles ...is the dihedral correct ....in fact should the wings actually be dihedral?....quick another look at some plans/photos...and how the hell am I supposed to make those wing root fairings!!! ..... it has to be a strong connection at the wing root else your in trouble!...as so it goes on....

But hey ho ...its just a model....no need to loose any sleep over it is there?....is there?

So photo time...I have also made the tail fin and attached it......here's the fin...made from Balsa.

E.jpg

all put together and marked ...minus the wood sealer

E_(1).jpg

So to the wings. This next photo shows the preparation of the wing root attachment ....

E_(2).jpg

Here is the Port wing made from Balsa. You can see that I have super glued a couple of small nails for strength of the attachment...

E_(3).jpg

...all ready to attach!

E_(4).jpg

The next 2 photos show both wings attached including the tail fin....

E_(5).jpg

E_(6).jpg

I made made the elevators out of Balsa and fixed them into their  position and then gave the whole control surfaces a dose of wood sealant and paint.

The next few photos show my progress so far....

E_(7).jpg

E_(8).jpg

E_(9).jpg

E_(10).jpg

E_(11).jpg

This last photos shows the blasted wing fairing I made from a small strip of plastic.....fiddly as Hell...and you know how fiddly Hell is!:wink:

E_(12).jpg

I am pleased this part of the build is finished as it always gives me sleepless nights!

Next up I think is going to be the spinner and a few minor details on the wings and a bit of a tidying up here and there with filler!

So until then.....BFN!

Cheers

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 8

An update worth waiting for! Looking very nice indeed.

I can see why those wing root fairings caused such angst, but they've turned out well!

Ian

Completely agree about how difficult it is to get dihedral right. On my return to scratchbuilding I specifically chose an aircraft with essentially no anhedral or dihedral (the Mig15) to avoid these difficulties. 

It looks like you have been a bit more daring than me but have still done OK in this case Fozzy

Nice job👍

• Like 1

Afternoon chaps!

I hope all is well in your modelling world your end!

Lots of progress this end with this build which means lots of photos!!;).....so apologies before I start!

In this post I have finished most of the detailing all except the under carriage......so lets start off with the prop!

The easiest way for me to make the spinner and blades was to carve from balsa....here's the block ready for the spinner....

F.jpg

...and here it is finished....

F_(1).jpg

Blades were next ,again from a balsa block.....

F_(2).jpg

....and here is the finished prop all put together....

F_(3).jpg

Now for some more detail.......a piece of kit sprue filed down makes good blisters for the upper wings...although it was trial and error as its only 3mm small...damn fiddly

F_(4).jpg

Bits of plastic for the trim tabs and ailerons hinges.....

F_(5).jpg

Plastic support struts for the stabilizers....

F_(6).jpg

the barrels are a cut piece of telephone cable and the drums are made from Balsa on these underwing MAC 1934

Mgs....

F_(7).jpg

again telephone wire for the auxiliary fuel tank lines....(why the French designers would have these exposed I shall never figure out :o...must be a reason I guess!!)

F_(8).jpg

Here's the tail skid and actuation rods for the rudder and trim tabs...again plastic scrap and wire...

F_(9).jpg

here's the access step and foot hold...also the bloody fiddly ASI !!..(excuse my French!...well it is a French machine!

:P)

F_(10).jpg

You can see in this shot the head rest for the pilot....

F_(11).jpg

....and finally!!......here are 5 overall shots!..........

F_(12).jpg

F_(13).jpg

F_(14).jpg

F_(15).jpg

F_(16).jpg

Really getting to the end of this build now.......next up will be the dangley old undercart!.....looking forward to those wheel spats......NOT!!!!!

Thanks for your patients in ploughing through all these photos!!;)

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 9

My lords, laydies and gentlemen

I give you a model maker, par eccelence

Fozzy she looks brilliant

I didn't know the 'plane when you started it, although I expected it would be good, just because

But this wonderful build process has warmed my heart to Dewoitines everywhere

I love it

• Like 1

Cheers lads!.....

34 minutes ago, perdu said:

My lords, laydies and gentlemen

I give you a model maker, par eccelence

Fozzy she looks brilliant

I didn't know the 'plane when you started it, although I expected it would be good, just because

But this wonderful build process has warmed my heart to Dewoitines everywhere

I love it

Bill ....you might change your mind when the undercarriage is in place!!!:o

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

She's coming on really nicely Fozzy. Although a couple of the pic links seem to be broken, the others show how good she's looking!

Ian

Hi Ian.....the photos seem to be ok this end!....I do hope that its not going to be another Photo bucket scenario!!:fight: