SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Fozzy

Hi guys

Dewoitine-_D510-_S.jpg

I am taking a small break from continuing with my B17G so that I can have a go at this wonderful "Retro" bird from the 30s...the Dewoitine D510

This time I decided to get my self out of my comfort zone of building larger scale Aircraft to try and see if I can manage scratch building a 1:48 scale model......well I have started and I have to say that its a different ball game altogether!....so tiny!!!:o..very small parts will have to be fabricated on the way no doubt.....but for me it will be a challenge which is why I mostly scratch build aircraft!.....and then I will get back to the B17G beast!!;)

Gd510-2.jpg

I just love the shape of this bird!...kind of heavy chunky nose and large wing span...with an almost after thought of an undercarriage!....all this drew my attention and made me want to have a crack at it!

So here goes then...................

After not being very successful in finding any decent scale plans on the "ole" internet I came across a set that at least had a few formers to work with...although none for the wings!:o.....well I guess I will have to sort something out when the time comes to making the wings!

Here's the plans I am going to use pinned to the board......

m_004.jpg

So first up was to construct the fuselage....because the plans are not that good I kind of made it up as I went along!....For this fuselage I used thin gauge hardwood for the formers,stringers and longeron. When that was set I filled in between the stringers with scrap balsa wood and when dry I sanded the balsa wood down to the hardwood stringers that then gave me the basic shape of the front end including the massive Radiator that just seems to be slung under the front nose!

Like so....

re_005.jpg

I then repeated the procedure for the tail......in this photo you can see the way I glue pieces of off cut balsa in between the stringers....looks a mess but I find it does the trick!

re_002.jpg

image.jpg

You can also see that there is a large gap half way up the fuselage?....well that is where the cockpit is and the reason there is this gap is so that I can reach inside with my pinkies to scratch some sort of cockpit!

So have now sanded down the balsa to the formers to get the tail shape and given the whole fuselage a couple of white glue washes and then a few washes of Johnsons Klear to seal the wood ready for the next stage......oh...and I also tidied up the cockpit area and glued some plastic sheets on the walls and floor.

rfr_007.jpg

This next photo shows a couple of balsa panels I have made that will fill the cockpit sides at a later stage......

rfr_009.jpg

...and here they are dry fitted....

rfr_003.jpg

image.jpg

A head safety crash thingy (for want of a better word!!)...was made from Balsa and dry fitted to the fuselage next!

qa_002.jpg

qa_005.jpg

qa_004.jpg

So chaps....that is post number one of this build complete!...no doubt I will be boring you all with all the other 165 posts!:think:

Working on the wings now...I'll be back when I have something to show!

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 30

Ooooh, a front row seat! Great start and a great choice of subject, but 1:48? You?? :D

I have the beer in and I'm all set. Ready when you are Mr Fozzy, Sir!

Ian

• Like 2

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Ooooh, a front row seat! Great start and a great choice of subject, but 1:48? You?? :D

I have the beer in and I'm all set. Ready when you are Mr Fozzy, Sir!

Ian

Running out of room in my display cabinet Ian!;)....I just basically wanted to see if I could do it at that scale!

• Like 1

Lovely start on one of those "interesting " French 30s types.  I'm intrigued you're following a sort of flying scale methodology rather than the traditional smaller scale carving from solid, which is how I've done my scratchbuilt planes.  I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Cheers

Will

Hey everybody, Fozzy, yes you remember his B17 has finally flipped

He has decided to do his own head in in quarter scale...

No seriously, I am joking and already well down the trail of "Fozzy's Greatest Fan", cos I know how these things go

We're in for another proper treat, she is already well on the way to marvellousnessnessness

I'm over the back near the bar, handy for the gents, I don't think I will want to tear myself too far away

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Blitz23 said:

I wish someone made these in 1/48,

they do,  or did,  Fonderie Minatures

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/preww2/previews/d510preview.htm

French and export boxings.

Really want one?  Try the "wanted" section.    FM kits are noted for requiring "modelling skill" though

HTH

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing this come along. I can only just throw together a tamiya kit without major issues, so am pretty blown away by anyone taking on a full scratch build. But I love the look of the D510 too, so will be keeping an eye on this! So far it's looking great! 

8 hours ago, malpaso said:

Lovely start on one of those "interesting " French 30s types.  I'm intrigued you're following a sort of flying scale methodology rather than the traditional smaller scale carving from solid, which is how I've done my scratchbuilt planes.  I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Cheers

Will

Hi Will

I use Balsa block for carving certain areas of the Aircraft... like in this scale I will carve the wings, prop and spinner etc...but not the fuselage as its easier to add internal detail ...like the cockpit ...rather than spending a lot of time and effort hollowing out the fuselage!...unless of course I wasn't going to add a cockpit...but that's not going to happen!...but of course everyone has different methods!...cheers!:smile:

.....and thanks for all the input and interest guys .....and Bill try not to drink too much up at the bar back there!;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crikey!

This brings to mind old Airfix magazine articles

which contained phrases like, 'mix the varnish 

and talcum powder together'...

BTW, the bar is currently closed.

It's Wednesday, pipe cleaning in progress.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Afternoon Men!

Here is post number 2!

I have a few photos to show all though not exactly thrilling to look at but shows a bit of progress.

I thought I would tackle the wings and stabilizer/elevators. I had no real scale plans for this just a 2D drawing of the wings and stabilizers....so I first cut out the drawings and glued it to stiff cardboard...then I drew round the wing and stabilizer like a kid in school onto balsa wood;)......the thickness of the wing was achieved by cutting out the front plan view of the wing and drawing around it onto the leading edge of the wood....I hope I am explaining this ok!....

.....if not...here's a photo of the templates and the markings on the balsa wood!

image.jpg

Here is the port wing sanded to shape...

c_1.jpg

c_2.jpg

....and here they are all shaped up the best that I could do!

c_3.jpg

The other thing I have done is to drill out the front Radiator scoop ...tidy it up a bit and add the rad shutters....

This is what it looks like...

c_4.jpg

c_5.jpg

That's all I have accomplished in the last few days with this build......getting there....slowly slowly!:think:

See you next post ...and thanks for looking in guys!

Fozzy

• Like 14

12 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

Sorry for being late - been a busy week with not much BM time. 

You'll just have to go stand at the bar at the back with Perdu...for your sins Brian!!;)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This is the way my father used to build models back in the 1930s...before plastic kits.  Also...one of my favourite aircraft.  

Certainly is a great looking Aircraft!...I only hope I can do it justice!

• Like 1

Hi guys

I have been trying to get some sort of cockpit together but it wasn't an easy task as I couldn't find a lot of info on the internet or books I have....so after looking at some of the photos ...I built the cockpit the best I could.....so warning this wont be 100% accurate :think:...but then again none of my models are!!;)

So after cleaning up the cockpit area I covered the floor and side walls with plastic card and then proceeded to build the Pilot's seat , rudder pedals and the stick...all put together with scraps of plastic and bits of wire.

This is what I came up with.....

C_6.jpg

The next task was to get the IP built ( not easy as its so small)....fix it in place and then a few other bits and bobs like the trim wheel and a few control boxes on the side walls. This was then all painted in perfect French style of Chamois (colour) paint...oh so pretentious!!B)

So this cockpit is kind of sparse as I didn't have much info to go on but I think it will do the job!.

As for photographing it for this post I do apologies as it was blasted difficult and it doesn't look that good!

....but here it is anyway!..The first 2 shots are with the starboard wall removed so you can kind of see into the cockpit!!

C_7.jpg

C_8.jpg

...and the last 4 photos are with both side walls in place...

C_9.jpg

C_10.jpg

C_11.jpg

C_12.jpg

Now that the cockpit is complete I can get back to preparing the fuselage for skinning.....this means I have got to finish the rear of the radiator tunnel before I can do this.

Once again there is absolutely no info or photos out there to assist with this task!....plenty of photos of the front intake but bugger all on the rear!....so its going to have to be "Artistic License"

So when I have fooled around with that I will be back!

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy

• Like 3

There's nowt of the "too sparse" about that one Fozzy, I'll bet a couple of bob (oh yes and two Francs I happen to have lying around after a trip to Paris awhile back- a big while back!) that when you find the reference pictures we all know are about somewhere they will shop the same amount of "sparseness"

I love it

Oh yes, I'm in the chair Brian what do you want mate?

I owe you one

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, perdu said:

There's nowt of the "too sparse" about that one Fozzy, I'll bet a couple of bob (oh yes and two Francs I happen to have lying around after a trip to Paris awhile back- a big while back!) that when you find the reference pictures we all know are about somewhere they will shop the same amount of "sparseness"

I love it

Oh yes, I'm in the chair Brian what do you want mate?

I owe you one

Cheers Bill...I think there was maybe more gear in the cockpit but the photos I am looking at don't show it clearly enough!...its all just one blur! (probably how you see things considering you are at the bar all the time!;))......any way I had to draw the line else I would have been agonizing over it and never finish the Aircraft and lets face it I have that HUGE B17G waiting for me!!:o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Fozzy,

Bandsaw Steve here (AKA Reconcilor, as I have recently changed my Britmodeller display name). Have just discovered this thread and am very impressed. This is a great subject and it looks like you are tackling this with gusto. Will be watching and learning. This might just be enough to encourage me back to the aviation pages once my current maritime project is complete.

Regards Steve

28 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Hi Fozzy,

Bandsaw Steve here (AKA Reconcilor, as I have recently changed my Britmodeller display name). Have just discovered this thread and am very impressed. This is a great subject and it looks like you are tackling this with gusto. Will be watching and learning. This might just be enough to encourage me back to the aviation pages once my current maritime project is complete.

Regards Steve

Hi Steve...Welcome aboard mate!...If I can encourage you to return to the fold then all is good!:smile:

• Like 1