T-34 Family STGB Chat

SleeperService

As we all get cabin fever a quick reminder that this STGB is approaching and while there are no model shows many of the mail order people are still working so just enough time to get yourself a T-34 if you have failed to stash one away already. Stunned by the good looks of the  beast you may want to get a couple.

I have the parts for my N. Korean army M1942 76mm ready and waiting the very end of the line for the 'frying pan' turret. There's a good selection of proposals already so it should be interesting.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Can you add me to the list? Might be a little Zvezda T34/85 or the 1/48 Hobby Boss T34/85 depending on time available. 

IanJ 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 2:36 PM, Bonhoff said:

Can you add me to the list? Might be a little Zvezda T34/85 or the 1/48 Hobby Boss T34/85 depending on time available. 

IanJ 

All sizes, abilities and types welcome!

On 5/4/2020 at 11:56 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

It's like looking in a mirror!  :rofl: 

Hopefully (for you) a distorting one as I'm rather bigger than the average bear ;)

I have just finished A.J.Smither's Rude Mechanicals which is a very well written and thought provoking book. He proposes that the T-34 in the hands of the Kharkov Training School attacking the German spearheads in front of Moscow kept the USSR going to the benefit of Peace Loving People throughout the World. I can find little to fault in that.

My second recommendation is And We Shall Shock Them - David Fraser. Concerns the British Army painfully relearning the lessons from earlier campaigns and wars with most focus on the early years. Another easy to read volume and some very interesting insights into the British War effort in general.

Finally if you are interested in the early development of our beautiful GB subject spend not a lot of money on Peter Samsonov's Designing the T-34 genesis of the revolutionary Soviet tank. Good quality paper means superb photo reproduction as a bonus.

• Like 1

Just scored a Tamiya T34/76 (1942 Cast Turret) for £22 posted. Thats me sorted!

The peace loving peoples rejoice! 

Stay well comrades!

Steve-anovich 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Today an Su-85 arrived in the post - it has the right chassis ...

(and rather too many components)

Must be a Miniart kit? They scare me! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Must be a Miniart kit? They scare me! 

On the button, yes it's a MiniArt kit.
Apart from the tracks, they shouldn't be scary (I find link & length tracks scary, individual tracks ... terrifying)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had all sorts of bright ideas for this GB, but a throw away comment during my Blitz Build entry changed all that. I suggested that tanks were easier to build quickly than things like my carrier as they were basically 2 boxes and some tracks with no fiddly interiors and nothing on display and choosing an allied one that used a single colour paint scheme made the job even easier. I therefore have no choice but to put my money where my mouth is so there's a 1/48 Tamiya T-34/76 in the post. I'm expecting you all to point and laugh when it isn't in the  gallery by tea time on the first day :D 

Andy

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I had all sorts of bright ideas for this GB, but a throw away comment during my Blitz Build entry changed all that. I suggested that tanks were easier to build quickly than things like my carrier as they were basically 2 boxes and some tracks with no fiddly interiors and nothing on display and choosing an allied one that used a single colour paint scheme made the job even easier. I therefore have no choice but to put my money where my mouth is so there's a 1/48 Tamiya T-34/76 in the post. I'm expecting you all to point and laugh when it isn't in the  gallery by tea time on the first day :D 

Andy

Been there done that.  I had the same thoughts when I did my BUK for Nordic.  "How difficult can it be?"  Famous last words... :shutup:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Observation ... half the models commited so far are tank destroyers.
2 x T-34/76
1 x T-34/85

2 x Su-122
1 x Su-85

Way more interresting: 50% is in 1/48!!

The future? :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

To those hanging on to the bottom of the World the hour of starting has passed. Others will still be waiting. Wherever you are I wish you all a trouble-free build and a result that gives you happiness.

Lets show everybody that armour is fun too :D

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Lets show everybody that armour is fun too :D

I find armour way more fun these days for 2 simple reasons: no canopies, so no horrible frames to paint and more importantly, you can weather over the decals and it looks meant. I've never got that right on a wingy thing yet, and I've ruined a couple of otherwise great builds trying.

Andy

• Like 1

Hello, I would like to take part in the project. If it's not too late. Can you recommend a kit for a T-34, SU-85 or SU-122, that is not too expensive and challenging? Speak well fitting and with not too many parts. Scale 1/35 or 1/48. I thought of a Polish version, maybe in winter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Don Donato said:

Hello, I would like to take part in the project. If it's not too late. Can you recommend a kit for a T-34, SU-85 or SU-122, that is not too expensive and challenging? Speak well fitting and with not too many parts. Scale 1/35 or 1/48. I thought of a Polish version, maybe in winter.

The Tamiya SU-85 is a nice easy build and has Polish markings in the box. 

It looks to be in the current range and is quite cheap for 1/35.

Andy

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 3:22 PM, Don Donato said:

Sorry for the delay but please start a topic and join in. Andy has made a good recommendation. If you want to do Polish Forces then look up Toro Models for lots of Polish lovliness in most scales. Very nice decals and run by nice people too.

On 20/06/2020 at 21:49, Foxbat said:

The Tamiya SU-85 is a nice easy build and has Polish markings in the box. 

It looks to be in the current range and is quite cheap for 1/35.

Andy

Thanks. This Kit ist diffult to get. 

I think about the Zvezda version.

5 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Sorry for the delay but please start a topic and join in. Andy has made a good recommendation. If you want to do Polish Forces then look up Toro Models for lots of Polish lovliness in most scales. Very nice decals and run by nice people too.

I would take a look...

51 minutes ago, Don Donato said:

Thanks. This Kit ist diffult to get. 

I think about the Zvezda version.

A good choice. It is a new kit so not as simple as Tamiya, but it is very well moulded and has good tracks which my old Su-100 doesn't. 

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Dammit, guys!

I wasn't going to buy anymore models for a while. Then I started looking at all of your great builds and purchased a Tamiya 1/48 T-34 off eBay.

The kit should be here next week. 

Your fault!

;)

• Like 1

Sorry for being so late, but yesterday I just have received a large parcel of Ukrainian UM 1/72 AFV kits including (among others) also the T-34 and SU-100.

Could I join the pack still?

Cheers

Michael

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...