Norway 331 Sqn F-104G stencils

Giorgio N

I'm building an F-104G of the Royal Norwegian Air Force 331 Sqn for the current F-104 STGB and I'm finding some problem with deciding which stencils were applied to these aircrafts.

Does anybody know what stencils were carried ? Did they carry the full Lockheed pletora of stencils or did they only use some ? Or did they use a specific set of stencils requested by the user.

Until now the pictures I've studied seem to confirm that apart from the immediately visible stencils (like emergency controls in the cockpit areas, the red markings around the refuelling points and the red arrows on the rear fuselage), they carried stencils on the dielectric panels on the fin and a very few before the radome. I couldn't find any confirmation of the no step markings on the wings or of the various stencils other aircrafts had in the intake and front fuselage areas. Were they absent ? Or is it just that they are not easily visible against the natural metal surfaces ?

Interestingly the pictures I have of the Canadair built aircrafts used by the units (that had light grey fuselages) seem to show many more stencils

The initial delivery of (R)F-104G's to Norway in 1963 came from US stocks and were natural metal. Later aquisitions of CF-104's came in OD over DG. Inbetween there were some with ADC grey airframe, white whings and natural metal on other surfaces.
Due to the above - which unit and time frame are you looking for, as this will impact the reply to your question?  

I'm interested in a Lockheed built RF-104G of 331 Sqn. in the original natural metal scheme with white/grey wings, the one in this thread

At the moment I'm just working from pictures but any information you have would be very useful. Thanks in advance !

I have the Vingtor sheet in 1/48, and from this and those photos I've found over the years online shows only the markings you mention; 
- Warning placards and triangles underneath cockpit 

- Red refueling and warnings stripes on fueselage

There is no mentioning of "no step" on wings etc. nor can I see this on the white-winged F-104G's, however later the "no-step" markings are visible on once repainted in the light gray scheme during the 70's. 

I would suggest to contact Vingtor on this forum. Nils Mathisrud is the owner of Vingtor decals and will be the best source to have this confirmed or denied. Nils is a really good guy who is very helpfull in matters like this. 

• Like 1

I'm using the same Vingtor sheet but in 1/72 scale and came to your same conclusion watching pictures. Unfortunately not all pictures in the early scheme are of high quality and some areas are difficult to see.

I may contact Nils, thanks for the suggestion !

Hi. As Niels says, the original delivery of F-104Gs (actually RF-104Gs) were USAF property and came with standard US stencils. Later on, as aircraft were painted, there were small alterations.

Nils

• Like 2