Chinook rotor dimensions

fingers

Hi,

I'm building the Italeri 1/48 Chinook at the moment and was wondering if anyone has the dimensions for the later type rotor blades so i can have a go at modifying the kit ones, a drawing would be nice as well.

All the best Dave.

Thanks for those Scimitar, unfortunately they don't have the info I'm after.

What I'm after is either a diagram or set of measurements which would allow me to attempt a mod on the kits rotors, everywhere says the rotors were changed but I can see nothing with dimension changes.

Dave

I seem to remember a thread in here somewhere.

The old metal blades had the taper at the root and the later ones had the squared off ones. Effectively it looked as if they filled in the missing triangular piece.  Later blade were possibly wider in chord ? The rotor diameter didn't change but don't trust this old memory

56 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I seem to remember a thread in here somewhere.

The old metal blades had the taper at the root and the later ones had the squared off ones. Effectively it looked as if they filled in the missing triangular piece.  Later blade were possibly wider in chord ? The rotor diameter didn't change but don't trust this old memory

Other way round, the metal blades were square cut at the root and the later composite ones had a taper

• Like 1

The only place I've found anything approaching a diagram is on a picture of some resin blades made by Heritage Aviation Models, roughly scaling off that seem to suggest a chord to length ratio of 1 to 10 this is the same as the kits mouldings and accepting correctness in their work (debatable allways) would suggest introduction of a root taper would suffice.

What do you gents think?

Dave

I don't know the definitive answer but if the rotor blades did become longer with the newer blades, wouldn't the airframe have to have a plug put in it to seperate the rotor masts? 

I would agree with Scimitar and Dave, the blade cord increased with alterations at the root of the blade.

Probably no help at all, sorry.

17 minutes ago, Wafu said:

I don't know the definitive answer but if the rotor blades did become longer with the newer blades, wouldn't the airframe have to have a plug put in it to seperate the rotor masts? 

I would agree with Scimitar and Dave, the blade cord increased with alterations at the root of the blade.

Probably no help at all, sorry.

Everythings a help Wafu, if I can conclude that 'no one knows better' then I can move on with my build.

I personally think length would only marginally be altered, if at all, and any mod, excepting the root taper, would be subtle  to make the most of, probably, computer aided aerodynamic improvements.

The rotor blade is 3ft (90cm) wide and 29.5ft (8.9m) in length,

This might also help

http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/standards/areas/blade.html

This is a link too the Operators manual, great for super detailing 

http://airspot.ru/book/file/1005/CH-47D.pdf

Hope this is of some help

Edited by Beefy