PK-304 Jaguar SS/100 ## Finished ##

Black Knight

Adding another to my list of Matchbox kits needing built

The pre-WW2 Jaguar SS-100

Here's a bit of trivia for you; Jaguar cars started out as Squire Sidecars, building motorcycle side cars, then building car bodies on to Austin 7 chassis, then Triumph chassis. As car builders they were SS Cars. The Jaguar series was built on a Triumph chassis, the number was indicative of the car's maximum speed. Post WW2 the letters SS were associated with an evil regime so William Lyons [the company founder] dropped the SS and took up the name of its most famous pre-WW2 sports car

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2001s-M.jpg

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2002s-M.jpg

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2003s-M.jpg

Most of that chrome will have to go. I'll do this as one of the 100s in my motorclub; one is very dark midnight blue and the other dark red.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I made a start on this a few days ago

I thought 'I'll just build this oob, no improvements'

Yeah, right

First thing to annoy me was no steering mechanism at the front wheels

Whilst trying to sort that out I thought, brake cables are needed. I also found that the front suspension geometry is all out

The steering rod between the front wheels runs under the road springs, but on the kit I could only have it run above the springs or physically thru them. The stub axles are swept up too high. I wasn't going to mess with them directly as that would lead to weak joints, so I put a sliver of plastic card between the axle and the springs to lower the axle a bit, then a few pieces of plastic card in the end of axle/brake drum space and I mounted the steering arms there. I can't finish the steering until after the body work is on the chassis.

This is it, upside down, The brass lines are the brake cables

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2006s-M.jpg

I de-chromed the engine parts. The parts needed fillers on the joints, a very poor fit and short-shot moulding. No parts for the front of the engine. I drilled out the SU intakes [need to fix one] Matchbox gives the top water pipe as a flat bar, I'll replace that with some round plastic tubing later in the build.

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2005s-M.jpg

Added some bits for the front of the engine

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2008s-M.jpg

Once this has been painted it can go onto the chassis, then the rear axle unit added and then the body tub/wings

Other bits have been built up, fillers added and rubbed down and primered in white for a sandy coloured interior - which has now been painted

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2007s-M.jpg

• Like 5

More pix soon.

Almost as bad as a bipe; I've been drilling small holes in the engine and body firewall for cables and levers, also been adding a few ancillaries to the engine

Nearly forgot to add the front shock absorbers. I might not bother with the rear ones as they are tucked away out of sight

• Like 2

I'll show you some things I've added before they got painted because once the matt black is slapped on it'll be hard to see them

First; the front shock absorbers

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2009s-M.jpg

The ignition leads. I didn't bother carving off the ones on the engine. This will be mostly hidden by the exhaust manifold and twin down pipes. the line running under/through the chassis is the brake cable to the front brakes

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2010s-M.jpg

The leads come round the back of the engine to the dizzy. What you can't see is that there is some UV gel glue on the top of the wires forming the dizzy cap. [and before some smarty pants asks; yes the wires are in the proper firing order!] The wire sticking straight out towards the left is the high tension wire to the ignition coil which will be on the firewall

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2011s-M.jpg

The rear brakes cables to the balance [ I had diffs super glueing the wire here, no problem elsewhere] and the brake cable running forward

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2012s-M.jpg

Overview of the chassis with engine fitted before some more matt black paint was slapped on

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2014s-M.jpg

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2015s-M.jpg

I'm keeping the chrome on the wheels but I slapped some paint on the inner halves then wiped it off the spokes, a scraping with a scalpel blade removes the chrome on the inner rim faces for the glue to work

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2013s-S.jpg

The upholstery is trimmed.

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2016s-M.jpg

I'm still working on the scuttle and the instrument panel which is attached to it. Whilst I do that the exhaust manifold can go on and the chassis attached to the body unit

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just about finished adding wires and pipes under the bonnet

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2021s-M.jpg

Nearly done

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2019s-M.jpg

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2020s-M.jpg

I need to finish off the steering linkage underneath. Some minor touch ups around the place. Its all minor fiddly things now

• Like 3

On 12/4/2017 at 9:04 AM, Black Knight said:

Adding another to my list of Matchbox kits needing built

The pre-WW2 Jaguar SS-100

Here's a bit of trivia for you; Jaguar cars started out as Squire Sidecars, building motorcycle side cars, then building car bodies on to Austin 7 chassis, then Triumph chassis. As car builders they were SS Cars. The Jaguar series was built on a Triumph chassis, the number was indicative of the car's maximum speed. Post WW2 the letters SS were associated with an evil regime so William Lyons [the company founder] dropped the SS and took up the name of its most famous pre-WW2 sports car

Actually it was "Swallow Sidecars", I've restored a couple of XK-120s and E-Types so am a fully paid up member of the Jaguar Pedants & Bores society... Squire was a completely different company and still exist as Watsonian-Squire. Nice build, hope to see it in the gallery soon!

Anil

yeah I know  that, but why I wrote Squire and not Swallow will be a mystery forever

Anyway; spot the differences.

I glued one half of the bonnet panels in the closed position but cut the other side panels apart and fitted them in the open position. I'm waiting on some slow drying gloss varnish to dry before I can get the rest of the small items glued on

Jaguar%20SS100%2C%2022s-M.jpg

• Like 3

That's a smashing result BK - well done and a nice addition to this ever expanding gallery. 

More than happy to offload some of our sunshine your way. We've had 35 degrees plus high humidity, then the ever present evening storm to liven things up.

It makes good for photoshoots, but plays plenty of havoc with airbrushing.  

Cheers.. Dave.   

• Thanks 1