Cyber Week is Takom Week

Soeren

Hi there. After now almost doing the afv club Tiger I need some other afv to not get too "boxy" with the box tanks. I had the Takom Chieftain Mk2 in the making. Now carried on with base coating the lower hull and wheels and started on the turret details. Overall the detail in the kit is fantastic. The fit of the parts is almost good.

g2c6xsz2.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 4

Good start so far Soeren.

I love these Takom Chieftains and I've got a MK10 and a MK11 both painted in the BATUS schemes.  They look like tanks and too bad they had such a

terrible engine or they would probably still be in use.

Lloyd

Thank you both, it is an enjoyable build. The mould detail is already good on the parts, but it has some seem lines in the center of the sprues. So the sanding can be a bit awkward. Overall I would say it is not over engineered but offers a lot. Only did Step 14 and part of 15 today

Speaking of sizes,

here is a comparison, Luchs left, T-55 center M47 right. The Luchs is the reconaissance vehicle. What a huge tank :nerd: Reconaissance, so you have to be able to spot from the high ground.

yb3sqmkw.jpg

But after watching this video on yourtube, I had to get this kit anyways. 

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Soeren said:

Speaking of sizes,

here is a comparison, Luchs left, T-55 center M47 right. The Luchs is the reconaissance vehicle. What a huge tank :nerd: Reconaissance, so you have to be able to spot from the high ground.

Hello,

I'm not that surprised by the size comparison ... modern wheeled armored vehicles are pretty big compared to post-wwII tanks. The M47 is a rather small tank, even if rather heavy.

Dimensionwise, the Luchs and the french VBCI have the same hull length than a M1 Abrams and are longer than a Chieftain's hull ... but narrower.

Cheers, E

Thanks for the input. I hadnt expected that. Although I was able to see all three in the Panzermuseum Munster. But these werent presented side by side. But you are right, the T and M tanks both have low hulls and werent that big now that I remember that. I had the Chieftain hull still on the painting bench, so couldnt compare it directly, but the Luchs hull length should match that quite well. British tanks are just large beasts. The Chieftain trurret is almost the size of the T-55 hull. Interesting differences in concept. Couldn't help myself and yesterday worked some more on the turret details. It is almost finished now. The gun was some difficult cleanup. Funny enough, I didn't look at the numbers and first did the later barrel, only to realize that I than hd to do all the work over again for the correct one for this Mk. 2. Then later the turret beside my Tiger turret. Oh my goodness, what a difference. The Tiger looks like a toy compared to the English monster. :)

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

Thanks for the input. I hadnt expected that. Although I was able to see all three in the Panzermuseum Munster. But these werent presented side by side. But you are right, the T and M tanks both have low hulls and werent that big now that I remember that. I had the Chieftain hull still on the painting bench, so couldnt compare it directly, but the Luchs hull length should match that quite well. British tanks are just large beasts. The Chieftain trurret is almost the size of the T-55 hull. Interesting differences in concept. Couldn't help myself and yesterday worked some more on the turret details. It is almost finished now. The gun was some difficult cleanup. Funny enough, I didn't look at the numbers and first did the later barrel, only to realize that I than hd to do all the work over again for the correct one for this Mk. 2. Then later the turret beside my Tiger turret. Oh my goodness, what a difference. The Tiger looks like a toy compared to the English monster. :)

The most impressive comparison is a Leopard 2 vs Tiger I ... the whole Leopard 2 turret is longer than the Tiger's hull :o E

Edited by Etienne

Went ahead and added the remaining details to the turret. Only the top machine gun needs to be placed, but that comes after the painting.

One interesting thing though, the step 12 tells yyou to cut of some of the right side detail. When you now add the jerry can holder, the four mointing points have no attachement to the turret anymore. There must be something wrong with that?

zg2wkccz.jpg

The basket built quite nicely and all the rest as well. We will see where some cleaning up is needed after the basecoat.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

My daughter decided the 2nd Fist of Takom had to be the M47 Patton

So I started with that. Nice detail, nice casting texture on the hull, a bit much of a seam on the torsion arms though. The jig helps to align all the arm properly.

dlox253z.jpg

A lot of fine detail and thin handles. Hope these wont break.

alzb88ip.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2

The M47 kit includes a lot of tiny detail in styrene. We will see how much I am able do destroy before the model is finished. Those tiny triagle eylets are difficult to get from the sprue and sand smooth.

WP_20171210_12_02_57_Rich3124.jpg

Then during a bit of sanding I  found the numbers on the cast back plate box. Cant read them with the unaided eye.

WP_20171210_12_03_22_Rich3123.jpg

Some sanding is required here and there.  But most of the hull joints are covered by the wide fenders. 

• Like 5

My Attempt on single tone camo didnt work out in the first place. Wanted to make a shadow wash with Atbl .502 smoke and olive green. But that left some dusty accumulations around the details instead of deeper green. 

So I sprayed the shadows with Vallejo black green, then Vallejo Bronce green and highlight with 50% Bronce green and 50% interior green. The barrel was painted 50/50 mix of Khaki and Bronce green. Now ready for washes and filters.

ChieftainTurret.jpg

• Like 4

24h later the base coat of paint looks quite nice. Highlights and shadows come through. Although I think it is a too yellowish green for the chieftain. So I have to see what a filter can do.

After that I will go for the pin wash. But fitting of the wheels and track need to go on first, before doing the skirts and then camo.

Chieftainbasecoat.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Soeren said:

24h later the base coat of paint looks quite nice. Highlights and shadows come through. Although I think it is a too yellowish green for the chieftain. So I have to see what a filter can do.

After that I will go for the pin wash. But fitting of the wheels and track need to go on first, before doing the skirts and then camo.

Hello, if you need a more greenish hue to the base coat, then you can try a green filter ... ;) E

• Thanks 1

The green needs a "cold" tinge, if this makes sense. I have Abtl. 502 blue green that is actually a blue, will mix that with some dark color black or brown? Maybe brown would be better. Yellow and blue turn into green. We'll see.

The prime portal has this one http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/robert_de_craecker/chieftain_fv201_mbt/

Great pictures. But I realize, There should be much more effort into the barrel cover. Ad well, the green looks less dark, than what I saw in the YouTube videos from bovington. Might be the kind of lighting though. Maye I just give it an initial Olive Green filter and go from there.