Cyber Week is Takom Week

Soeren

8 hours ago, Soeren said:

The prime portal has this one http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/robert_de_craecker/chieftain_fv201_mbt/

Great pictures. But I realize, There should be much more effort into the barrel cover. Ad well, the green looks less dark, than what I saw in the YouTube videos from bovington. Might be the kind of lighting though. Maye I just give it an initial Olive Green filter and go from there.

Hello Soeren,

I know the black on green camo is pretty cool but remember the Mk2 is an early version of the Chieftain and pretty much all photos show plain green tanks ;)

chieft10.jpg

5a47fe10.jpg

The green color is more greenish than the NATO more subdued green ... and for the gun barrel thermal cover, I think it's more tan on early Chieftains so I find your base coat and thermal cover rather correct, just don't forget to paint the fume extractor and the barrel's muzzle green as well ;)

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Thanks 1

It's looking great Soeren, I only intended to have a go at my first and only proper tank build as a deviation from my aircraft stuff but watching builds like this have me hooked. I can hear a Cheiftain calling me right now.

Looking forward to further progress on this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Etienne said:

Hello Soeren,

I know the black on green camo is pretty cool but remember the Mk2 is an early version of the Chieftain and pretty much all photos show plain green tanks ;)

The green color is more greenish than the NATO more subdued green ... and for the gun barrel thermal cover, I think it's more tan on early Chieftains so I find your base coat and thermal cover rather correct, just don't forget to paint the fume extractor and the barrel's muzzle green as well ;)

Cheers, E

Thanks Etienne for the suggestions and the picture, yes the barrel end and fume extractor.will be green. Today I went ahead and gave the sections a more light tan color.and after tust applied the filter. Olive green with a hint of black. The Abtl. 502 matt effect thinner still results in dust like appearance around the details. But that will be covered by the final pin wash. For the camo, Ramon includes one callout and markings for the black and green. Is this not correct?.

Here is where I stand now, also did an initial "rusty" dirt wash for the tracks. It all has to dry now fully. We´ll see how it looks like tomorrow and especially in the daylight, but that will take until the weekend to discover.

Chieftainbasecoatfilter.jpg

Chieftaincolor.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Thanks Etienne, yes the barrel end and fume extractor.will be green. Today I went ahead and gave the sections a more light tan color.and after tust applied the filter. Olive green with a hint of black. The Abtl. 502 matt effect thinner still results in dust like appearance around the details. But that will be covered by the final pin wash. For the camo, Ramon includes one callout and markings for the black and green. Is this not correct?.

You're welcome, Soeren ;)

There's not so much photographic references of Mk2 Chieftains ... and even less in color but I've yet to see a camoed one :huh: Moreover, many early Mk3 even have the plain green scheme, like this one :

chieft12.jpg
chieft11.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 2

Ok, then I might just stay with the single color option and sometime in the future do a later version.

This is the picture that got me going, after I did a Revell Leo I

0_df928_3e113ed3_XL.jpg

So be it then, British Green!

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2

Good choice on the all green camouflage. In my estimation the Blurry color photo of the Mk.2 looks to be a restored example and im thinking not 100% correct. The current Owner/Operator may have done the camouflage to represent a later model. That being said you could attempt to contact the Owner of said Restoration and ask there source for the camouflage. He may have proof that it is indeed accurate. 

Dennis

Cheers Mr Fouruncle. I am actually learning to like the single color paints. :D

And I just realizes what I did wrong. First, i used the Matt Thinner with too less Oil Paint, thus leavint the matting agent in the recesses. Then, I made a wash, still too thin. Now I made a new wash with more paint and it works better. I like to do the initial wash less grimy but more color modulation/discoloaration like. So I wnet with the approach on the Tiger turret. Used AK Panle liner for Green/brown camo, what is essentially a thin well flowing wash and mised in some amount of Abtl. 502 faded green oil paint. This resulted in a very dark browins olive. A placed that in different ratios of either paint and thinner over my pallet and then randomly applied it into the details. After some drying time I moved it around with the thinner dampened brush. It still needs some drying, but I happen to like it already. Now it has to dry completely and, as it is mostly oil paint, I hope to be able to make corrections again tommorrow if needed. I am also inclined to try a dot filter with a limited amount of colors.

WP_20171213_21_32_24_Rich.jpg

WP_20171213_21_46_29_Rich.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Soeren said:

I am especially pleased with the barrel, as it took some effort to clean up.

Good job with the barrel, if I were you, I'd paint the sleeve between the mantlet and the thermal cover with some more greyish paint to create some contrast, and use a wash in the grooves ;)

E

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

Which section do you mean in particular? Do you mean the dust cover on the turret or the recoil section. Or something else? As.of now it is washed already. But of course some mor details wouldn't hurt. 

The recoil section between the thermal cover and the dust cover ... it's made of a different material and usually darker, nearly grey-black ;) E

29 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Great, thanks,I wasn't sure about that, as the pictures weren't to clear about that for me. I will look into that :). 

The problem is that Takom's paint instructions are wrong on that point ... but the photos of Mk2-Mk3 Chieftain clearly show a very dark recoil section.

Another detail : the two clamps on each portion of the thermal cover should be green also, like the gun itself.

chieft14.jpg

E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1

Thanks, I am not referring to the Takom pictures. These are just rough indications. But from the pictures, it could as well be due to the folding of that material that it appears much darker. But however, it will add a lot of interest to the otherwise boring single color stuff. Some pictures also show differently painted straps. But I will start with the green clamps and the grayish recoil area. How do you call such folded devices?

Edited by Soeren

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

Thanks, I am not referring to the Takom pictures. These are just rough indications. But from the pictures, it could as well be due to the folding of that material that it appears much darker. But however, it will add a lot of interest to the otherwise boring single color stuff. Some pictures also show differently painted straps. But I will start with the green clamps and the grayish recoil area. How do you call such folded devices?

The recoil section is really dark grey, no doubt ... it's clearly visible on later Chieftains as we have more color photos.

The straps of the thermal cover are somewhat different from the cover itself ... different texture, but almost same color ... I think for the richness of your paintjob, you can paint them a little bit darker (same base color with a touch of brown, or just a dark filter).

As you already said ... it'll add visual interest to your model.

E

Edited by Etienne
  • Thanks 1

So after only a short session, working in the suggestions by Etienne and fitting the wheels as well as base painting the side skirts, it now looks like this. The next session to blend in the additional painted sections, there will be washed together with the dirt effects that will have to come before mounting of the skirts. because access to the tracks and running gear will not be possible after that.

TakomChieftaintestfit.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 3