Cyber Week is Takom Week

Soeren

Thank you Francis. Yes, the camo really changed to look of the vehicle. Also the application of oil paints for color modulation is real fun. You almost cant do it wrong. And it is easy to fix if you don't like it . I will have to see how it looks in the daylight on the weekend. But it seems to look ok already. :D

While waiting for the Type to dry I went at the Patton wiht the oily stuff. Various browns and the Faded green mixed at random ratios of light grey and intermixed again and rubbed into the surface. Should look great after a filter and pinwash now.  On the side are the tracks for the Type. PA Track Primer, some grey and then random blotches brown/red wash and then burnt umber alone. Tried lighter fuel as a solvent.

Pattoncolormodulation.jpg

• Like 1

Hi there been busy with work. Now the Patton wiht decals and a wash of 502 Industrial Earth. That color is perfect for Olive Drab. Unfortunately, altghough I gave it a varnisch coat after oil painting, the AK Odourless thinner seemed to get through that and now I have some stains in the paint, some look like scratches, other not so much. Again something to think about :/

Pattoncolormodulationwash.jpg

WP_20180203_09_22_24_Rich.jpg

• Like 3

Beautifully built and painted, all of them, the patton stands out but i also have a soft spot for the chieftain, of which i have a mk5 in the stash,  which is very close to the top of the to do  list, that i want to in  the berlin urban scheme, parts of this wip will come in very handy

Glynn 

Thank you very much Glynn :)

Everything turned out very different from what I initially expected. But that is still interesting to see the own progress in relation to initial expectations. I am not unhappy with the results overall, although the reactions of the paint can be a bit disheartening sometimes.

Fantastic work with the M47, personally I see a great resemblance to mine (on the left in tiny), although since I finished it until now, watching yours, I would change something, because now I have many more materials and a little more skill.
Undoubtedly a great kit, I would have to change the tracks of mine some day ...:popcorn:

Cheers Soeren :yes:

Edited by FrancisGL

20 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Cheers Francis. :) Yours is a Takom Kit as well? Lesson learned here: Give oil paints even more time to cure before the next step.

I do not know if you will say it for this, but it has happened to me that since I'm not dry enough, I've lost a bit in places ... no, my kit is an oldie, Italeri's, which was kept in the closet by about 15 years, and after returning to the hobby, I gave him a chance, or he gave it to me ... lol.
I do not know if you have seen or are interested, but below this post, there is a link with your WIP and RTI thread. :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

And here is the Type 59 as of now. I tried a dusting by oil paints this time. I see, there are still some sections to do... But will do that as soon as the vigniette will be made. At least the tone variation in the camo paints is still visible.

Tape59dustfront.jpg

Type59dustleft.jpg

Type59dustright.jpg

Type59dustback.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning, I would like to share a recent kit I am working on. As always the turret was finished first. 

It is the Drakom kit Drak-P55A a Panther-55A, that was a secret weapon an only two prototypes build on the dark side of the moon between 1946 and 1947

HappyEaster.jpg

Happy Easter to you all.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, after the Panther build I came back to this nice little Takom kit. Again a T-54 derivative. Compared to the Type 59 kit this is a whole different story. Much more detail. Many multi piece parts to add. The turret consists of 100 parts+ with all the stuff put up. The fender was a breeze to build compared to that.

I hope the forums will be more stable now.

WP_20180414_13_34_46_Rich2.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 3:27 PM, Etienne said:

Hello Soeren,

I know the black on green camo is pretty cool but remember the Mk2 is an early version of the Chieftain and pretty much all photos show plain green tanks ;)

chieft10.jpg

5a47fe10.jpg

The green color is more greenish than the NATO more subdued green ... and for the gun barrel thermal cover, I think it's more tan on early Chieftains so I find your base coat and thermal cover rather correct, just don't forget to paint the fume extractor and the barrel's muzzle green as well ;)

Cheers, E

According to guys on the Chieftain Appreciation Society facebook page who used to drive them they had disruptive pattern on their MK2s - few photos on there showing it too.

Edited by BurgMark
Listed wrong FB group originally.
  • Like 1

Ha - great - maybe i can see all the pictures again then (looks like a lot have disappeared). Was actually looking for myself as I have one of the Mk 2s in stash and am hoping to do the black and green pattern...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I too k some time to prime thr tracks and do tools and all the tools for the Patton. Also sitting in the board for about 2 months, the paint aged a bit. Not much to do now, I will keep it clean most likely only a bit of dust and rainstreaks.

nh2q3f7i.jpg

h6b5y28m.jpg

kkc7o52r.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Francis,

went ahead on the tracks to finally finish this tank and gave em a dry brush of first Vallejo rust and slowly highlighted with Vallejo Tan Earth. Painted track pads on the one track. Might give am e wash before final highlights though.

pktm4w8j.jpg

• Like 4

I guess this one is a tester and will never be finished. Realized from pictures on the web that the complete pads were rubber inside and outside, not just the outside Chevrons. So repaint of around 180 x 2 x 2 pads to paint 🤓. Oh, how I like all metal tracks. 

Then again, I revisited the paintjob and spend several quarter Hours over the last days, whenever getting to the bench, to add some oil dicoloration here and there. Painted in some shadows, some grime, and what not.

When I see it correctly, this tank was never used by the USA in Combat? At least this one is stated to be based at Detroit in 1951. So when at all, it would have been a testfield tank? Would late 1945 US Army guys be suitable for a Scenario?

w2ezz97n.jpg

rdtcbmxb.jpg

3dabyapw.jpg

• Like 3