Cyber Week is Takom Week

Soeren

That Chieftain looks great Soeren. 

I know what you mean, the flipping camera shows everything, all the oops and the dust and bits of plastic cuttings and just when you think you have things looking good.

Regardless, it looks really good, bring on the Soviet stuff, need some target practice.

Take care,

Lloyd

Yes, these mobile phone cameras are cruel. But as soon as the basecoat is on, you cant see.most of this. And I always decide the amount of weathering and the areas based on the glitches. Does that mean the Chieftain was a utter desaster? No it wasnt. It would have looked well enough even without the dirt.

Here is a side by side of Chinas and 'Murican tanks.

WP_20180111_22_48_48_Rich2.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you Francis.

I went ahead with the bas coat. Post WWII olive drab for the M47 and Russian Base for the Type 59.

The MIG paints are lighter than I like it. We´ll see how it looks after the filter and washes

WP_20180114_19_17_02_Rich3297.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Lloyd. :)

The T-54 had a 4 man crew. Three of them in the turret. Loader to the right, gunner left forward, commander behind him. The gunners seat rest were the commanders legs. No full turret basket. That left some space.

Thanks Francis. The Olive drab looks nice. It is light, because of the scale effect, is it at 35th scale scale effect, who knows. Anyways I did some postshading and highlighting. The green for the Type59 was mixed with black as basecoat and then painted with the original Russian green, that is really light for my taste. I have no pictures yet, as the lighting wasnt that great and MIG ammo paints seem to change a bit before being completely cured. 

I will do some filters now, to get it to my liking.

Fully cured itr looks better now. The application of the three different colors per tanks worked well already. Next will be the sand camo on the Type and then Filters. Although, I might do a dark brown filter on the green first, do make it less bright.

WP_20180117_20_54_04_Rich3301.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you very much 😊

I see it is good to sit back from one project and to look at it again. I like it much more now than during the work on it. And one great thing about this hobby is, you can always revisit the models and change things. Now I am looking forward to the appearance of the two others that I won't make this dirty. 

I thought I would share a few things I experienced. As mentioned in some other threads, the Mr Hobby leveling thinner works well with Mig paints and also the AK primer. It gives more a viscous liquid not just milky like the water/alcohol. It seemed to work with my Vallejo paints as well, but only tried it once yet. Second note, don't apply decal solution too early after the oil filter. There are some terrible tide marks now. Gladly these are dust color so I can work over them during weathering. I am in the process of doing wheels and tracks now. 

Wheels were primes black and then got a darker Version of MIG Russian green by adding black. Only the outside of the wheels got the sand color. In the Reviews some complain about the 4 Points at the sprue that Need to be cleaned up and in the process mostly destroying the rubber raised section. After looking into Pictures of real vehicles, there is nearly no rib on the running Surface. So I think Takom over did it anyways and it will be no Problem to cut that down on the sufaces at all.

Here you can also see the horrible marks around the decals.

Type59camoandwheels.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 3

I really like the camouflage on this

5 hours ago, Soeren said:

Wheels were primes black and then got a darker Version of MIG Russian green by adding black. Only the outside of the wheels got the sand color. In the Reviews some complain about the 4 Points at the sprue that Need to be cleaned up and in the process mostly destroying the rubber raised section. After looking into Pictures of real vehicles, there is nearly no rib on the running Surface. So I think Takom over did it anyways and it will be no Problem to cut that down on the sufaces at all.

Here you can also see the horrible marks around the decals.

Type59camoandwheels.jpg

If you used micro set/sol on the decals it will sometimes leave marks like that in clearcoats. Ive been using them for 25 years, and almost never have a permanent issue. They usually go away with a second clear/flat coat. 

Pinwash of Mig Panel liner for green and some Abtl. 502 Faded green added and color discoloration with oil paints

The yellow sections got various additions of Abtl. 502 Light Sand, some Ochre and some Yellow

The green was treated with Olive Green mixed randomly with Light Sand and Ochre. Here and there the Industrial Earth was added. Not easy to see all the variation in the üictures though.

WP_20180123_18_42_28_Rich.jpg 

WP_20180123_18_42_51_Rich.jpg

• Like 5

Interesting. 20h later and in daylight it looks alot different than compared to the 4k Kelvin 600 Lux lamp at 20cm. It is overcast today with low intensity daylight. I will do the matt varnish the other day and then decide whether to do another passs of oil dicoloration or start with the overall dirt/dust dot filter approach. But before that, wheels and tracks will be added. Nice kit afterall, with a spare lower hull and turret to try things. The road wheels look nice now, but the sprockets definitely need a bit more highlights on the outer rim. The oil paints already helped a lot with some of the overspray caused by the yellow camo.

WP_20180124_09_52_28_Rich.jpg

WP_20180124_09_52_00_Rich.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 3

Evening dear Sirs.

As I mentioned, I wasnt finally feeling the amount of colour variation right. After looking into a few pictures of the green on eastern tanks, I decided to add some blue to the green. Mixing Abtl. 502 Light Sand with only a touch of Faded Green and some Ochre of the same brand. Yeah that gor it right. gives some torquise/bronze touch to the bleached top areas. It looks nice now. The Sand areas got another go of highlights with Abtl. 502 Light Sand again too. Let it cure for a few days, matt varnish and then decide for another go of either filter or pin wash. That stuff is sooo much fun :D

WP_20180125_22_09_32_Rich.jpg

WP_20180125_22_11_18_Rich.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 4