WNW Dolphin

GrahamB

Dug out my predictions from a few years ago as a April Fools prank which fooled a few members at the time!

32032 Fokker Dr. 1
32033 Sopwith Camel (early)
32039 Sopwith Camel (late)
32042 Rumpler Taube
32043 Junkers Cl.1
32044 Fokker E.V
32045 SSW D.III
32046 SSWD.IV
32049 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 (Late)
32051 Breguet 14B2
32052 Junkers D.1
32053 Spad XIII
32055 Spad VII
32056 Airco DH.4
32058 Caudron G.4
32062 Armstrong Whitworth FK8
32063 Sopwith Dolphin
32064 Martinsyde Elephant
32065 Martinsyde Buzzard

32800 Felixstowe 2a/W.12
32801 Sopwith Camel/Fokker Dr. 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/12/2017 at 12:27 PM, Folkbox1 said:

Complete thread drift here but when I was a youth and an apprentice in the merchant navy I joined my first ship in Singapore with a Chinese Crew.  They told me that just before I joined the ship they had been fishing for sharks (basically a bloody big hook with a lump of meat on it) whilst anchored somewhere amongst some pacific islands.  A shark was going for the baited hook when a dolphin swam at it and shooed the shark away from the hook so the crew didn't get their shark's fin soup.

Another thread drift - What shipping Line did you do your apprenticeship with?  I did mine as a Deck Cadet with Reardon Smith.  

Edited by Bear Paw
Spelling

Sorry for a slight diversion from the subject of the model but reading this post reminded me that a decorated Sopwith Dolphin pilot is buried in our local church yard. His story is as follows:

Albert Desbrisay Carter was born in Point de Bute, New Brunswick Canada and joined the 13th Reserve Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force in March 1911.

On 1 October 1917, Carter transferred to No. 19 Squadron Royal Flying Corps in France flying Sopwith Dolphin scouts. He subsequently becoming an ace by shooting down six enemy aircraft.

On 18 March, Major Carter was shot down by German ace Lieutenant Paul Billik. Carter fell behind German lines, survived the crash, and was captured. He finished his war in a prisoner of war camp being repatriated on 13 December 1918.

In 1919 Number 1 Wing Royal Canadian Airforce reformed at Shoreham airport with Captain Carter serving with Number 1 Squadron RCAF.

On Thursday 22nd May 1919 Captain Carter was killed when the German Fokker D.VII serial 8482/18 he was flying was seen to break up in mid-air.

see http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1839.25;wap2

Captain Albert Desbrisay Carter is buried in the war grave section of St Nicholas’s church in Old Shoreham.

2009_0621Annabel0331

2009_0622Annabel0001

• Like 8

7 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

ow in stock at Hannants £71.99

Not any more.....now £79 PLUS postage......hence why mines coming from Duncan at £70 INCL. postage...Might have to wait till January but not a problem...

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Not any more.....now £79 PLUS postage......hence why mines coming from Duncan at £70 INCL. postage...Might have to wait till January but not a problem...

Mmmm.... sneaky! I'll get mine through my LMS (Kitbox at Whitley Bay, great little shop and Frank's a good guy), normally get a few quid off and it gives him business as well.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Mmmm.... sneaky! I'll get mine through my LMS (Kitbox at Whitley Bay, great little shop and Frank's a good guy), normally get a few quid off and it gives him business as well.

Now back down to £72 again.....:confused:

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Wonderful how this place keeps on being mentioned.  I picked up the hobby as a child when the family lived in a flat over a shop next to the pub on the corner in the early 'sixties, but I had to go to Woolies in the town centre which was a few hundred yeards away.  I cannot remember where the model shop was in those days but it was 'the other side of town', and I was completely dumbfounded when I found a place devoted to "Airfix" and its equivalents.

It would be great to see a little "homage" to Airfix and their "Dogfight Doubles", wouldn't it?  WNW have the possibility with "Camel vs. Albatros" and "R.E.8 vs. Roland C.II", all we need now is the "Bristol Fighter vs.  . . . .".

On 06 December 2017 at 5:12 PM, Bear Paw said:

Another thread drift - What shipping Line did you do your apprenticeship with?  I did mine as a Deck Cadet with Reardon Smith.

Engineering Cadet for Shell Tankers (UK) Ltd as it was then.  Did my shore time at South Shields 1980 -84.  How about you?

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, Folkbox1 said:

Hate to be picky (especially as I made the same mistake) according to the WNW instructions it is a wild boar not a shark!

Dolphins and Sharks do not get along well.

4 hours ago, Folkbox1 said:

Engineering Cadet for Shell Tankers (UK) Ltd as it was then.  Did my shore time at South Shields 1980 -84.  How about you?

Deck Cadet with Sir William Reardon Smiths from 1975 - 1979 OND and tickets all taken and study at Hull Nautical College.  

Andrew. 

On 12/7/2017 at 7:07 PM, RAS said:

In 1919 Number 1 Wing Royal Canadian Airforce reformed at Shoreham airport with Captain Carter serving with Number 1 Squadron RCAF.

On Thursday 22nd May 1919 Captain Carter was killed when the German Fokker D.VII serial 8482/18 he was flying was seen to break up in mid-air.

see http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1839.25;wap2

Captain Albert Desbrisay Carter is buried in the war grave section of St Nicholas’s church in Old Shoreham.

Very interesting, and it rang a bell in my memory about the circumstances of Captain Carters fatal crash in 8482/18. Scouring through my back issues of 'Cross & Cockade' I located the relevant article.

Source - Cross & Cockade, Summer 2009Vol 40/2. Article 'Dolphin Guru, Major Albert Desbrisay Carter, DSO. 19 Squadron RFC Part2. By Stewart K. Taylor' Pages 106 - 107.

In brief, the article states how in May 1975 Taylor was in conversation with Don McLaren, No 1 (Fighter ) Squadron CAF, 'A' Flight Commander, who witnessed the crash. McLaren made Taylor swear under oath not to repeat what he was about to say until after his death.  Carter was a strict disciplinarian, and very much resented by his men, particularly as many had been away from Canada for a long time and wished to return home now the war was over. Anyway, the key point is that person(s) unknown had sawed partially through all the bolts that retained the top wing to the struts. In mock combat with an SE5a on May 22 1919, the top wing came off Carters D.VII, resulting in the crash that killed him.

Stewart K. Taylor made extensive efforts to trace any of Major Carters living relatives in 1981, but was unsuccessful.

Jeez that is harsh. Someone must really have had it in for him to do that. It must have been kept very quiet. I would imagine that, so soon after the end of the war, it was felt that it would not have been good for morale if it was made public.

• Like 1

Doplhin very exciting - but I so wish WNW would release a 1 & 1/2 Strutter; built in large numbers, used by lots of people, lots of significant firsts (especially Naval aviation-wise)...

Mustn’t complain, though!

• Like 3

Ex-FAAWAFU, i'm SO with you on the 1 1/2 Strutter. 

and i'm very with this thread on being *very* interested in building a Carter bus. i pinged Rowan 'n' Sabine at Pheon about it before i saw this thread. 

that said, my first (only?) Dolphin will be Gillet's. unless Pheon (or somebody) do Carter's. 

My WNW Dolphin kit received yesterday after ordering from 'E Models' and the kit in the box looks very impressive - really looking to getting round to building this one - the 3rd kit in my stash not including the 32nd Roden Albatros DI in currently building - so hopefully get round to this one early in the New Year.

Regards

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone. It is for me anyway as my stock of Dolphins have arrived and they are now open for general sales on the BlackMike Models website.

For more information look here: https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/products/wingnut-wings-3207-sopwith-dolphin

All pre-orders will be dispatched over the next day or so depending on how quickly Mrs B can make the boxes.

Duncan B

Edit (10pm update) All the pre-orders (that have been paid for) have been boxed up, postage paid for and half have even made it to the Post Office, the other half will join them first thing in the morning. Well done VP Packaging for a mammoth effort :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Happy New Year everyone. It is for me anyway as my stock of Dolphins have arrived and they are now open for general sales on the BlackMike Models website.

For more information look here: https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/products/wingnut-wings-3207-sopwith-dolphin

All pre-orders will be dispatched over the next day or so depending on how quickly Mrs B can make the boxes.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan, looking forward to mine within the next few days then :yes:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Thanks Duncan, looking forward to mine within the next few days then :yes:

Hi Keith

You should have received an e-mail with the tracking info already. Your kit was actually dropped off at the Corner Shop/Post Office this evening along with some others (the rest of the pre-orders will be there first thing in the morning) but I don't think they get picked up until lunchtime, anyhow it's in the hands of Royal Mail now so you should have it in a couple of days time.

Duncan B

10 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Hi Keith

You should have received an e-mail with the tracking info already. Your kit was actually dropped off at the Corner Shop/Post Office this evening along with some others (the rest of the pre-orders will be there first thing in the morning) but I don't think they get picked up until lunchtime, anyhow it's in the hands of Royal Mail now so you should have it in a couple of days time.

Duncan B

Morning Duncan,

Yes, indeed I did thank you.

• Like 1

All the pre-orders were in the Post Office this morning. I should have taken a photo of the pile of boxes as tall as the woman at the Counter. It took 2 trips to get them all there as I couldn’t fit them all in my car. 

Duncan B