Ferrari 250 Testarossa - Lucybelle II

Spad

Hello all

Been a while since I completed something but I thought I would share my latest effort. Built to support the IPMS Car and Motorcycle SIG display at Telford this year, this is the Hasegawa 1/24 Ferrari 250TR finished in the less common white paint job with blue racing stripes as worn by chassis # 0732TR and uses the Renaissance decal sheet Tk24/267. The car was driven by Hugus and Eriksson at the 1958 LeMans and unfortunately retired at the 7th hour, so not an auspicious performance. The race was won by another 250 Testarossa (0728TR) driven by a duo including Phil Hill. That car is actually one of the subjects on the kit decal sheet, though the kit is inaccurate for that car.

I had a load of fun with this build and in typical Hasegawa fashion it goes together with precision and displays a fair amount of forethought with most ejector pin marks and sprue gates being located so that they end up out of sight and covered over. Can't imagine how much, unnecessary as it turned out, cleaning up I did!

I replaced the kit wheels with a set of metal rim/photo-etch spoke beauties from Hobby Design and wired both distributors, feeding the wires into the ends of a couple of copper tubes glued onto the rocker covers - a feature in photos of the real thing conspicuously absent from the kit's otherwise beautiful engine. I also added a fuel rail to the carn=bs and a couple of lengths of spring type tube which represented the corrugated fuel lines when painted yellow. I also replaced the solid intake grill with a piece of wire mesh though it can't be seen so I'll not bother so much next time! I also made good use of my Molotov Chrome Pens on rivets etc but most significantly, for the windscreen frame and rear view mirror glass. Well recommended!

All in all a most enjoyable build and my thanks to those BM'ers that offered their insight into the likely colour of the tonneau cover!

Anyway, enough of this rubbish, here are the pics - comments and criticism welcome in equal measure. Hope you like her.

IMG_1668

IMG_1680

IMG_1669

IMG_1674

IMG_1675

IMG_1676

ATB
Rick

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful finished product.

Weirdly, model cars have been stealing my attention away from my typical planes and ships. I think it is down to the stage of my life atm and their relative simplicity.

This one certainly piqued my curiosity into what Hasegawa has to offer. Not a common name associated with auto models in my experience and region.

• Like 1

One of my favourite cars and one which I've (scratchbuilt) many times.   Beautiful, clean job here.   Love it Rick.

Frank

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, PC2012 said:

Rick I assume the windscreen was bendy plastic, may I ask how you treated it? Or did you leave it as is? 

Absolutely gorgeous model 😊

Many thanks PC2012, No, the windscreen is injection moulded and the edging is done using a Molotow Chrome Pen.

ATB
Rick

• 1 month later...