RAF Sabre F.4

Lord Riot

I must confess to be a bit of a RAF Sabre nut and build something a bit different my next model is going to be XB540 of the RAF fighter weapons school based at RAF Leconfield in the 50s but I cannot  find a picture of one or the code system/colour could anyone please help.

Kind Regards

Craig

Thank you for the picture Sabrejet

That does look a little plain but i will build it I think,I wanted to do a RAF Sabre other than a squadron aircraft but  finding pictures is difficult of 50s aircraft.

Many Thanks 

Craig

Craig, what about XB686 as flown by Johnny Johnson during his time as Station Commander at RAFG Wildenrath ? Ok, she was an operational aircraft but did not display any unit marking. Rather she carried a wide red band on the tail with red canopy frames and small JEJ codes in white under the canopy.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 03/12/2017 at 07:48, Wez said:

also all RAF Sabre cockpits and seats were black.

been looking at the Airfix kit.

Colour call out for the cockpit in the kit is Humbrol 140 Gull Grey , and the seat below is? 

The photos below show an F-86E seat manufactured by Canadair.

sabreseatimg1.jpg

from

http://www.ejectionsite.com/f86seat.htm

Also, seat straps colour?  blue? 

The 112 Sq , XB772 option has a Humbrol 71 "Oak"  band on the rear fuselage,  I take it this is an exercise marking,  as it says "Exercise Carte Blanche" and could be left off? 

TIA

T

9 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

been looking at the Airfix kit.

Colour call out for the cockpit in the kit is Humbrol 140 Gull Grey , and the seat below is? 

from

http://www.ejectionsite.com/f86seat.htm

Also, seat straps colour?  blue? 

The 112 Sq , XB772 option has a Humbrol 71 "Oak"  band on the rear fuselage,  I take it this is an exercise marking,  as it says "Exercise Carte Blanche" and could be left off? 

TIA

T

Useful picture of the seat, thanks for posting.

All of the pictures of seats fitted to RAF Sabres I've seen are black, a Gull Grey seat would stand out and be very obvious in B&W photos.  Not sure about the seat strap colour, could well be khaki, the early fifties being a period of transition to where we are now.

Yes, the markings applied for Carte Blanche were only applied for the exercise and would have been removed immediately afterwards, I'm guessing they used distemper type paint for this but the subject aircraft would certainly be ok without it.

Edited by Wez
missing words
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Robert said:

I did not realise that the wing part was removable l thought it was part of the ammo door.

this is a feature of the 6-3 wing, as the root was extended 6 inches, it covered over the ammo bay door,  hence the removable little bit shown.

5 hours ago, Robert said:

@SabrejetInterestingly picture you have shown there with the ammunition door opened. I did not realise that the wing part was removable l thought it was part of the ammo door.

Regards

Robert

Later RCAF Sabre 5s had the fillet attached to the ammo door; often seen on Flight Systems Sabre 5/QF-86E as a result. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1