The Royal Air Force Centenary GB Chat

2 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

I can't pass up on this, my original thought was to enter an early mk 1 spit but I have promised myself no more kits till at least flying legends or when the 1/48 Blenhiem is released at the end of this year. So that leaves me with 3 candidates in the stash. All in 1/48 I have a Hasegawa Kittyhawk mk 1 probably the least likely of the 3 as I just finished a P-40 at Christmas. So really it's between the Airfix Mk V Spitfire and my Tamiya Mk X Beaufighter.  

Both the Spitfite Mk V amd Beaufighter sound good.  It's your choice, but,  I haven't built the Beaufighter so would encourage you yo go for that one.

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

It will (finally!) be finished as a 'Grey Whale' with a very appropriate special message and a claim to fame...

Is this the first helicopter volunteered in this GB? It is good to have a Sea King in the mix :)

Seems like all the GBs are coming along so quickly these days!

I couldn't turn this one down, especially with the documentary on BBC One last night.

And like your GB Banner there Robert, I'll probably build something 'Sticks and Strings' from the earliest days along with something more modern...

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Thanks 1

Eek I genuinely have no idea what I'm going to do (as the victor and halifax I had planned are not options at least to start with due to lack of a bench), maybe Ill start with a simple spitfire, not done a spit for months, or maybe finally do a 2nd attempt at the camo'd eurofighter....

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Seems like all the GBs are coming along so quickly these days!

I couldn't turn this one down, especially with the documentary on BBC One last night.

And like your GB Banner there Robert, I'll probably build something 'Sticks and Strings' from the earliest days along with something more modern...

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Dermot

Thanks Dermot, you are very welcome.

And thanks also for the heads up on the documentary, I need to catch up with that, iPlayer should help.

56 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Eek I genuinely have no idea what I'm going to do (as the victor and halifax I had planned are not options at least to start with due to lack of a bench), maybe Ill start with a simple spitfire, not done a spit for months, or maybe finally do a 2nd attempt at the camo'd eurofighter....

We can't have too many Spitfires, though if you could squeeze in a bomber too, that would be great :)

2 hours ago, masterqq said:

Hi

Please clarify, Any RAF squadron served in my country Malaya will be accepted for this GB right?

Hello Thomas, welcome to the GB

To answer your question - Yes, to RAF squadrons that served in Malaya (or any other country).

I'll be interested to see what you decide to build, there is a broad range of options open to you.

Didn't realise this GB was also about to start !

If I understand right the idea is that the subject must have some link to the modeller's home, in this case I'll most likely build a Spitfire IX based in Italy in the final months of WW2.

If times allow it (I've already got too many kits on the bench) I may also consider a modern type based in the Country during the wars on former Yugoslavia, but I'll get the Spitfire done first

15 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks Dermot, you are very welcome.

And thanks also for the heads up on the documentary, I need to catch up with that, iPlayer should help.

We can't have too many Spitfires, though if you could squeeze in a bomber too, that would be great :)

One can never have too many spitfires, but can understand the need to not have too many in this Gb, though actually if I do the Eduard Mk9 it will be not just link edto my home country, but my home county and home town so I think I will start with that 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

7 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Didn't realise this GB was also about to start !

If I understand right the idea is that the subject must have some link to the modeller's home, in this case I'll most likely build a Spitfire IX based in Italy in the final months of WW2.

If times allow it (I've already got too many kits on the bench) I may also consider a modern type based in the Country during the wars on former Yugoslavia, but I'll get the Spitfire done first

Welcome Giorgio,

A link to your home country (or county/province) is encouraged, but is not essential - though you should have plenty of options in Italy, and a Spitfire IX would be a good choice.

@PhantomBigStu, your Mk 9 will be a great addition too ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Robert, just as well as it is a build that was already started.  I'll try find something else, but bench time for a new project might be my downfall on this one.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

Right, I'm on days off now and getting ready to start something for this on 1st April, but what? I still don't know! I'll be back later with a decision. :)

• Like 2

If I haven't already thrown my hat into the ring...

I some AZ Model Hurricanes, Spitfires, etc...to add to the mix too.  I am saving my Matchbox Hayford for the next Matchbox GB...

So RNZAF, RAAF, SAAF, etc...these are all eligible?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

If I haven't already thrown my hat into the ring...

I some AZ Model Hurricanes, Spitfires, etc...to add to the mix too.  I am saving my Matchbox Hayford for the next Matchbox GB...

That's a shame, it would have been amazing to see the Heyford :heart:

cheers Pat

Hello John, welcome to the build.

6 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Only if under RAF command ...

If you dig back in this thread there are lists of acceptable Canadian, Australian and New Zealand squadrons (for example RabbitLeader gave a list of eligible Aussies and Kiwis in post 32) - the Colonial Contribution.

Pity the Heyford won't make it here, but Spitfires and Hurricanes will be very welcome :)

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2018 at 2:55 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

There should be

Rabbit Leader...is there a definitive list of Commonwealth/RAF units yet?  I have a Boomerang that I am itching to get out of the stash...

• Like 1