The Royal Air Force Centenary GB Chat

The choices of  iconic aircraft  are endless I have Tamiya's Meteor which would mark the beginning of the jet age for the RAF so I'll go with that one

for a start,probably do at least another sticking with my oldies theme for this year it's about time I tackled Airfix's Stirling so that's a possibility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

The choices of  iconic aircraft  are endless I have Tamiya's Meteor which would mark the beginning of the jet age for the RAF so I'll go with that one

for a start,probably do at least another sticking with my oldies theme for this year it's about time I tackled Airfix's Stirling so that's a possibility.

Both sound good, welcome to the build

• Like 1

On 06/02/2018 at 20:42, Robert Stuart said:

Both sound good, welcome to the build

Thank's Robert,looking forward to it but possibly a change of plan my eldest bought me Monograms 1/48 Dakota for Christmas a set of decal's

have come my way tracing the history of the BBMF's example including two RAE machines one in rasberry ripple so a possible entry.

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Robert,looking forward to it but possibly a change of plan my eldest bought me Monograms 1/48 Dakota for Christmas a set of decal's

have come my way tracing the history of the BBMF's example including two RAE machines one in rasberry ripple so a possible entry.

An RAF Dakota would be good, as would anything from BBMF.

I am a little concerned about RAE, I thought was that a branch of the MOD?

2 hours ago, shatters said:

How about a Hawk and Canberra of 100 sqn or something WWII from 100 group ?

Phil

That all sounds good Phil - welcome

Hi all! OK, I've been dragged out of Groupbuild retirement and would like to take part with (and finish!) something for this very significant birthday.

I'm not sure what yet, I'll hunt through the stash, but Sopwith Snipe from between the wars? Maybe something lend-lease from WWII? Or my own favourite theme from when I was in the Air Training Corps, RAFG? I'll have a look through the stash and the decal bank and get back to you with a definite decision. :think:

• Like 2

Hi all from a Newbie. I'd like to join if I may, also with a Defiant the same as Paul_B. I made the old Airfix Series 1 1:72 nightfighter version over 30 years ago and have had a soft spot for this unusual aircraft ever since. Now I have the glorious looking Airfix 1:48 kit sitting on my shelf and this looks like the perfect opportunity to break open the box.

Thanks, Mark.

• Like 5

I was considering a Battle of Britain Spitfire and Hurricane.    Not very original I must admit...  but I was convinced I could build from The Stash.

Turns out that I can't build from The Stash.  I was sure there was an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire I and Hurricane I there. But sadly no...  How can that be?!?!?!   There's almost anything you can think of in The Stash.  But not - apparently - an Airfix Spitfire and Hurricane.   Okay... there's an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vb. But no Spitfire I.

So I've had a bit of a re-think.  I'm now tending towards a 1/48 Meteor F.8.    I know there's on of those in The Stash, 'cos I've nearly put my back out taking the box from the pile. :)   I'm thinking of building it as a F/TT.8 with yellow and black stripes underneath with dayglo stripes on top. 

• Like 3

Sadly I’ve still got no idea what I’m going to bodge together. I’ve spent ages on eBay looking but nothing has lept out and grabbed me. Meh! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I was considering a Battle of Britain Spitfire and Hurricane.    Not very original I must admit...  but I was convinced I could build from The Stash.

Turns out that I can't build from The Stash.  I was sure there was an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire I and Hurricane I there. But sadly no...  How can that be?!?!?!   There's almost anything you can think of in The Stash.  But not - apparently - an Airfix Spitfire and Hurricane.   Okay... there's an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vb. But no Spitfire I.

So I've had a bit of a re-think.  I'm now tending towards a 1/48 Meteor F.8.    I know there's on of those in The Stash, 'cos I've nearly put my back out taking the box from the pile. :)   I'm thinking of building it as a F/TT.8 with yellow and black stripes underneath with dayglo stripes on top. 

The Meteor sounds good, especially with those colours.

Don't ruin your back, that could play havoc when battling the carpet monster!   

1 hour ago, Ade said:

Sadly I’ve still got no idea what I’m going to bodge together. I’ve spent ages on eBay looking but nothing has lept out and grabbed me. Meh! 

I'm sure you'll think of something.

What would you like to build?  Is there anything from your own service background that would be fun or a bit different?

I was posted To Lyneham but I’m not about to build a Herc and you don’t get models of communication satellites.... I’ll work it out. It’s great to see the different models that are going to be built in celebration of the RAF though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 08/02/2018 at 14:46, Robert Stuart said:

I am a little concerned about RAE, I thought was that a branch of the MOD?

Correct Robert going with the Meteor for now then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CliffB said:

I've been chewing around various options and have decided to go 1930s, with a bright yellow Avro Tutor.

Cliff

Cliff, welcome

A training type? That would make a great flying start to any pilot's history ...

• Like 1

On 27/02/2018 at 1:37 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Cliff, welcome

A training type? That would make a great flying start to any pilot's history ...

Thanks Robert.  IIRC though, Sir Douglas Bader might not have been such a fan of the Avro Tutor ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo after a trip to my local model shop today I shall be building Revells 1/32 Spitfire Mk.lla. I wanted to build a brown and green Spitfire as it’s iconic, but as a Lincolnshire lad I should be building a bomber. Sadly I don’t have room for a 1/48 Lancaster so the compromise (using the kit decals) is a Spit that flew from RAF Kirton in Lindsey In Lincolnshire in mid 1941. I know a Spitfire isn’t a particularly original choice but there you go. 

Big thanks to Salisbury Model Center for the 10% (ex) military discount as well. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ade said:

Sooo after a trip to my local model shop today I shall be building Revells 1/32 Spitfire Mk.lla. I wanted to build a brown and green Spitfire as it’s iconic, but as a Lincolnshire lad I should be building a bomber. Sadly I don’t have room for a 1/48 Lancaster so the compromise (using the kit decals) is a Spit that flew from RAF Kirton in Lindsey In Lincolnshire in mid 1941. I know a Spitfire isn’t a particularly original choice but there you go. 

Big thanks to Salisbury Model Center for the 10% (ex) military discount as well. 

Hello Ade

Your Spitfire will be very welcome -

A Spitfire may not be the most original choice of subject for an RAF GB, but we'd be a poor Commemoration GB without at least one version of the iconic fighter.

• Thanks 1

On 14/03/2018 at 9:25 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Hello Ade

Your Spitfire will be very welcome -

A Spitfire may not be the most original choice of subject for an RAF GB, but we'd be a poor Commemoration GB without at least one version of the iconic fighter.

You can never have too many Spitfires !

Unless its the dodgy Triumph ones :rofl:

• Like 1

Hi Chaps,

Just clearing the decks with my Sea Hurricane in the Hawker GB and getting ready for this at the start of April. There was some discussion about a bit of structure to the GB, Squadrons, types etc but I'm not sure where this ended.

I have a choice of Westland Whirlwind (fighter), Defiant or Spitfire Mk1 from BoB. Markings for Kiwi pilots of course. A full set of Jet fighters, trainers and a few inter war jobbies. Not many bombers though. I considered to do a Kiwi Mosquito but there seem to be a few Mossies planned so maybe don't need another. If no one else is doing a BoB Spitfire Mk1 I'll do this as 'their finest hour'.

Colin

• Like 2

Right,Meteor a definite as it's already in the stash and having never built a Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire (I know) gone and got a Vb as I picked up

some decal's for Jan Zumbach's aircraft which I've loved since airfix boxed it way back when I was a kid nice tribute to the Poles who fought

with the RAF too.

• Like 1