The Royal Air Force Centenary GB Chat

2 hours ago, Maverick231 said:

I'd like to join if possible? 

You are very welcome Maverick.

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

...no 488th, but I have enough kits and decals to make two Buffalo's from the 453rd out of Australia...That'll be fun!

Sounds good John 

Never thought I’d join a group build, but it looks like fun. I’ll join, if I may. I have an Airfix Gladiator I bought to celebrate the Finnish centenary but since I missed that (2017), I might as well (try to) honour the RAF with it :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Never thought I’d join a group build, but it looks like fun. I’ll join, if I may. I have an Airfix Gladiator I bought to celebrate the Finnish centenary but since I missed that (2017), I might as well (try to) honour the RAF with it :)

You are very welcome Torbjorn - a Gladiator will be an excellent choice.

As Andy suggests, 263 Squadron would be appropriate, but choice of squadron is up to you :_)

A 263. machine is the plan, trying to find stickers from a source quick enough to arrive in Norway before midsummer :)

Seems like the squadron codes are the same as for the variant included in the kit (HE), so in the worst case I might even be able to use them and handpaint the serial.

• Like 1

My Grandfather James Daisley, Service Number 120103, the only Daisley in the Royal Air Force when it was formed. He was a MT Driver. 

Sadly he died before I was born so I never had the opportunity to talk to him about his experiences.

26291307087_8d70db6502_c.jpgGrandpaD by John Walker, on Flickr

John

• Like 1

I'll be joining up with a model of my favorite aircraft that has ever flown; the De Haviland Mosquito.

I'll be building the 1/48 Tamiya B. IV kit, representing a Pathfinder squadron.

To me the mossie Pathfinders represent the crossroads of 1940s British engineering genius, and the RAF's stiff upper-lipped determination to accomplish the impossible.

• Like 1

Well, count me in in this GB! I'm trying to shake my personal Britmodeller curse (the last two GB's I joined I couldn't finish because one of my close relatives had to go to hospital), so let's hope it's third time lucky.

As I discovered, I hadn't build a Battle of Britain Spitfire yet... Yes, almost impossible to imagine at this site, that I/m still allowed to post at all...

So I'm in with the Airfix 1/72 Spit. But I want to make a small diorama out of it, so I'm going to try to recreate a pilots waiting for scramble. as a small thank you for the few who were so crucial in saving Europe from Nazi-tyranny. As a Dutch person I might have been speaking german now if it wasn't for their effort (and the subsquent effort of the allies)

Already made a start in this easter weekend, so over to the WIP and now working out how to post pictures post-photobucket.

And if I find the time, I will be building another RAF-theme close to my heart, depicting Operation Manna. That really meant a lot to my family (and my country), so hoping to find the time to honour that great action by the RAF.

Hi,

I was just wondering if ETPS aircraft would be accepted? I ask because I gather that the VAAC Harrier and ZA326 would ordinarily be disqualified as they were primarily RAE operated, but could one perhaps build ZA326 as a tribute to ETPS or even the Joint Aircraft Recovery and Transportation Squadron (JARTS) who (from what I read) helped in its move to Bruntingthorpe?

I fully understand if this is decided to be slightly outside the remit of this GB.

Best wishes,

Sam

1 hour ago, cathasatail said:

Hi,

I was just wondering if ETPS aircraft would be accepted? I ask because I gather that the VAAC Harrier and ZA326 would ordinarily be disqualified as they were primarily RAE operated, but could one perhaps build ZA326 as a tribute to ETPS or even the Joint Aircraft Recovery and Transportation Squadron (JARTS) who (from what I read) helped in its move to Bruntingthorpe?

I fully understand if this is decided to be slightly outside the remit of this GB.

Best wishes,

Sam

Hello @cathasatail, I believe ETPS is a branch of the MoD, so should be treated in the same way as RAE.

JARTS is a more complex case (Wikipedia link), because it is a joint RN / RAF squadron.

Yes to JARTS because it is formally part of the RAF (even if jointly with RN).

20 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hello @cathasatail, I believe EPTS is a branch of the MoD, so should be treated in the same way as RAE.

JARTS is a more complex case (Wikipedia link), because it is a joint RN / RAF squadron.

Yes to JARTS because it is formally part of the RAF (even if jointly with RN).

Thanks for that :)

So, if I understand this correctly- if I was to build ZA326 in its current state at Bruntingthorpe, dedicated to JARTS- with a few panels open and in a partially disassembled state, then I could potentially enter it into the GB?

Best wishes,

Sam

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cathasatail said:

Thanks for that :)

So, if I understand this correctly- if I was to build ZA326 in its current state at Bruntingthorpe, dedicated to JARTS- with a few panels open and in a partially disassembled state, then I could potentially enter it into the GB?

Best wishes,

Sam

Reflecting JARTS yes :)

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2018 at 8:15 PM, andyf117 said:

The old Heller kit decals would give you exactly what you'd need - unfortunately, I've no idea where mine is, or I could send them to you (nearly seven months since we moved, and now discovered that's something else I haven't located yet!)....

Thanks all the same - I'm still unpacking my things after a move more than one year ago myself... :)

A question to the host @Robert Stuart

I have two builds in the shelf of doom which I'd like to enter in this GB but, first, I'd like to confirm they are eligible.

The first one is a Battle of Britain Bolton Paul Defiant (Airfix 1/72). I've done work on the cockpit and transparent parts but the fuselage is still to be closed. Here is the WIP thread:

The second build is a RAF Flight Training School Tiger Moth (Airfix 1/72). I've only done work on the cockpit but even the cockpit is still to be finished. Here's the WIP thread:

Thanks in advance.

Jaime

Hello @jrlx

Those are beautiful builds and (IMO) it would be a pity for either of them to reside on the Shelf of Doom.

Can we open this up to the group, and see what the general view on each build is by Tuesday (00:01 am)?

PM sent

7 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hello @jrlx

Those are beautiful builds and (IMO) it would be a pity for either of them to reside on the Shelf of Doom.

Can we open this up to the group, and see what the general view on each build is by Tuesday (00:01 am)?

PM sent

Thanks, Robert. We certainly can open this up to the group. I'll wait for the decision 😊

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Just now, jrlx said:

We certainly can open this up to the group.

I personally vote for both of them to be allowed- for me, I would say that the fuselage-closed stage is the point at which a model starts to "come together"/ be over 25% completed

Best wishes,

Sam

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Just wondering if I could join this Group Build?

I have an Airfix Wellington Mk III that would be great to enter as a 75 (NZ) Squadron

aircraft (75 Sqn flew both Mk Ic and Mk III).

3ecffe5f-8ff3-46c3-ba58-31a274b6f06a.jpg

Thanks

Alan

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi All,

Just wondering if I could join this Group Build?

I have an Airfix Wellington Mk III that would be great to enter as a 75 (NZ) Squadron

aircraft (75 Sqn flew both Mk Ic and Mk III).

Thanks

Alan

Hello Alan,

You are very welcome.

Regarding 75 Sqn,  ... They can be part of the build, but only while they still part of the RAF (i.e. before October 1946).