The Royal Air Force Centenary GB Chat

5 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi Chaps,

Just clearing the decks with my Sea Hurricane in the Hawker GB and getting ready for this at the start of April. There was some discussion about a bit of structure to the GB, Squadrons, types etc but I'm not sure where this ended.

I have a choice of Westland Whirlwind (fighter), Defiant or Spitfire Mk1 from BoB. Markings for Kiwi pilots of course. A full set of Jet fighters, trainers and a few inter war jobbies. Not many bombers though. I considered to do a Kiwi Mosquito but there seem to be a few Mossies planned so maybe don't need another. If no one else is doing a BoB Spitfire Mk1 I'll do this as 'their finest hour'.

Colin

Hello Colin, The discussions got out of hand - we've simplified the ideas here, if it, or was, RAF then it's in.

You can't have too many Mosquitos - OK, I work in High Wycombe, where a lot of the wooden components were build - I believe that the former factory I'm in was a sub-contractor, but, then again, so were half the factories in HWycombe.

Whirlwind, Defiant or Spitfire? All good options, don't worry about flooding the BoB, that, as you say, was their 'finest hour'.

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Right,Meteor a definite as it's already in the stash and having never built a Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire (I know) gone and got a Vb as I picked up

some decal's for Jan Zumbach's aircraft which I've loved since airfix boxed it way back when I was a kid nice tribute to the Poles who fought

with the RAF too.

Your Meteor sounds good Steve.  And it will be good to see some of the European contingents represented too.  :)

• Like 1

Put the Airfix 1/72 Spit Ia kit on the table along with the 3-D Kits Mk II conversion set and pulled out the relevant paint tins for the build. I've gone through the 485(NZ) Sqn ORB and my 485 Sqn books and have decided on an airframe. The SE5a I've been working on over the last few weeks will get a little work over the next few days before being put in a box to be resumed after the GB.

So in other words I'm raring to go. Really looking forward to this and it will be my first GB here at BM.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

Put the Airfix 1/72 Spit Ia kit on the table along with the 3-D Kits Mk II conversion set and pulled out the relevant paint tins for the build. I've gone through the 485(NZ) Sqn ORB and my 485 Sqn books and have decided on an airframe. The SE5a I've been working on over the last few weeks will get a little work over the next few days before being put in a box to be resumed after the GB.

So in other words I'm raring to go. Really looking forward to this and it will be my first GB here at BM.

Sounds good Smithy, we can't have too many Spits

Don't let the SE5a go cold on you though - some guys can do it, but I find it hard resume working on a model again after a break.

• Like 1

I've just stumbled across this thread. Having recently realised that all but one of my kit builds so far this year would fit into an RAF100 theme, I only needed to fill a few gaps.

This group build would be a perfect way of doing that at the perfect time, so here goes.

I'll build:

Matchbox Siskin

Airfix Spit 1a

Matchbox HS Buccaneer

Hasegawa Lightning F.6

An ambitious target? Well yes in some ways, but most of those kits are fairly simple and I build models in batches anyway, so all I need to do extra is take some pics as I go and update the build threads. In theory...

• Like 2

Change of plan, I'm going for this 

IMG_3817

Formaplane Vacform, what's not to like !

The vacformed canopy is an amorphous blob anyone know where I can get a better one ?

Also any info photos on this would be greatly appreciated 

cheers Pat

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Change of plan, I'm going for this 

Formaplane Vacform, what's not to like !

The vacformed canopy is an amorphous blob anyone know where I can get a better one ?

Also any info photos on this would be greatly appreciated 

cheers Pat

Ok, that will be different Pat.  

Umm could you pinch a Hurricane canopy?  Otherwise, you might have to form one yourself  

26 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Ok, that will be different Pat.  

Umm could you pinch a Hurricane canopy?  Otherwise, you might have to form one yourself  

Hurricane is unfortunately nothing like it. It's a long canopy, not sure anyone else made a Henley.

I haven't got a clue how to form one.... off to look on YouTube !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

This was covered in an old Airfix magazine. In that the canopy shape was carved from balsa wood which was used to 'crash' or 'push' mould a clear canopy over. These days I use FIMO or Sculpey to shape the canopy, bake that hard then use it to push mould or vac form the clear canopy

• Thanks 1

My primary build will be a 414 Squadron Mustang I from the Academy kit, converted with Special Hobby parts and maybe a few aftermarket bits. Secondary possibilities include a 418 Squadron Mosquito FB.VI, a 404 Squadron Beaufighter X and maybe a Spitfire IX...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Is there any detail inside the supplied canopy?

Even if there is not, as long as its the proper shape - fill it with Milliiput. [use olive oil as a release agent] and push-mould or vac mould over the Milliput canopy shape

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

My primary build will be a 414 Squadron Mustang I from the Academy kit, converted with Special Hobby parts and maybe a few aftermarket bits. Secondary possibilities include a 418 Squadron Mosquito FB.VI, a 404 Squadron Beaufighter X and maybe a Spitfire IX...

Sounds good Sabre_days

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Not sure if I am on the list for this one but would like to join please? Still undecided what to build! 

I'm not sure anybody  is "on the list" for this one, but you are very welcome - and there are lots of options to choose from :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IanHx said:

I believe a certain bunch of aircraft enthusiasts used to fly red Folland Gnats so might pitch in with one of those :)

Umm... OK,  .... OH! any links to the guys flying red Hawks? (I can be slow on the uptake)

On 23/03/2018 at 8:12 AM, Sabre_days said:

May I ask, are those RCAF squadrons? If they are, I might consider other kits in the stash.

4 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

May I ask, are those RCAF squadrons? If they are, I might consider other kits in the stash.

RCAF under RAF command.

If you dig back through this thread, there was some discussion about the 'Colonial Contribution'.

3 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

@Robert Stuart

Hi Robert,

I thought that I had signed up for this, but having checked back through this thread it seems that I haven't. I'd like to come and play with a Canberra PR.9 if that's OK.

You are welcome @nimrod54

You may have signed up to an earlier version of this build, the main difference here is that the rules are simpler.

• Like 2

I can't pass up on this, my original thought was to enter an early mk 1 spit but I have promised myself no more kits till at least flying legends or when the 1/48 Blenhiem is released at the end of this year. So that leaves me with 3 candidates in the stash. All in 1/48 I have a Hasegawa Kittyhawk mk 1 probably the least likely of the 3 as I just finished a P-40 at Christmas. So really it's between the Airfix Mk V Spitfire and my Tamiya Mk X Beaufighter.