The Royal Air Force Centenary GB Chat

For those of you who did finish your models - well done.

Sorry that some of our models didn't make the cut.  There are some very interesting, exciting and (often) ambitious projects that missed out, .

This has been my first group build as moderator, and it is not over yet ...

Everybody, thank-you for taking part - both the builders, those who contributed comments and to those who had time just to watch - and those behind the scenes who did stuff I don't know about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Highly enjoyable GB thank you for marking and bringing us all together in celebrating the important event! I have learned a lot historically and modelling wise from tips to techniques and RAF types! 

• Like 1

Thanks for running, sadly time caught me out, hopefully though I’ll have a few more harriers finished by the end of the month! As to the completed builds it’s a great gallery to browse through!

Thanks again

Graham

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Highly enjoyable GB thank you for marking and bringing us all together in celebrating the important event! I have learned a lot historically and modelling wise from tips to techniques and RAF types! 

I concur and add my thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The poll hass now closed, the top 10 results are summarised below.

Pos : Description (Votes votes)
1 : Roden's 1/72nd scale Bristol F2b, Italian Front, Villaveria, summer 1918 (9 votes) John D.C. Masters
2 : Canberra PR.9, XH134, 39 PRU based at RAF Marham, 2006 'End of an Era' Retirement Scheme Airfix 1/72 (8 votes) nimrod54
3 : Airfix 1/48th scale Hawker Fury. RAF Training command (7 votes) Colin W
3 : No. 452 (RAAF) Squadron Spitfires Airfix Mk.IIa - P7973 and Tamiya Mk.Vb - W3821 'Pemba III' (7 votes) Rabbit Leader
3 : Wingnut Wings Sopwith F.1 Camel "BR.1" B7270, A R Brown, 209 Sqn RAF, April 1918 (7 votes) DaveyGair

6 : Jaguar gr1, gulf war 1991, sadman. (5 votes)
7 : Gloster Meteor F(TT) Mk.8 WE876 1574 Flight, RAF Tengah, Singapore, late 1950s Airfix 1/48 (4 votes)
8 : Amodel 1/144 Lancaster (3 votes)
8 : Hawker Hurricane IIb Trop Fly Models 1/32nd (3 votes)
8 : Sea King HAR.3 XZ599/S, RAF Sea King Training Unit (RAFSKTU), based at RNAS Culdrose, Revell (3 votes) 

With three models tied for third place, we'll have a think about what happens next.

There were 38 models in the poll, 24 members voted.

Well done everybody who participated.  There were many excellent models, not all of which recieved votes.

A full list of results can be seen in the poll thread:

• Like 2

Thanks for running a great GB Robert and congratulations to all of you (us) who managed to complete their kits to help celebrate 100 great years of British aviation. 

Cheers... Dave 

Thanks for proposing and running a great Group Build Robert, it was a lot of fun. There are a lot of great aircraft that made it into the gallery, but also some notable types that either didn't make it or were no shows, most of the V-Bombers for a start. I had hoped to try and add a 1/200 Vulcan but time caught up with me and I didn't manage it in the end. 

Congratulations to @John D.C. Masters on his Brisfit, that's a great model bud and a well deserved winner. I only wish that the second and third choices were as easy to make.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hello Dave, @Rabbit Leader

The answer has been delayed due to holidays - I hope things will start moving next week and we can sort things our soon.

Regards

Robert

Wow! just discovered my Camel tied for 3rd place!  Perhaps let Haynes pick the 'winner' out of the three?

Davey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I didn't know we get prizes!

You might like to read this John. The S.E.5 book might be right up your ally! 

Cheers and congratulations.. Dave 

• Like 1

Well, how embarrassing - not only do I not finish in time, I also missed the vote :blush:. It wouldn't have changed any results anyhow as one of them would have gone to the Bristol F2b which was very nicely done indeed. Congratulations John. SE5 build coming up next? Thank you also to you Robert for moderating so well.

I will get the Defiant finished at some point, before I join another GB. She's at the decaling stage now, so probably will be done by Christmas :giggle:.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had an email from Haynes Publishing today apologising for the delay in delivering the prizes for this group build.

Haynes Publishing are looking to send the prizes for the Royal Air Force Centenary Groupbuild to the team at Britmodeller this week.  Nick Garton will be signing a copy of the Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5a Manual, and that will be sent to us separately.

When we have the books, we will ask the winners to let us know their addresses.

There is a possibility that we will still need to resolve the tie in third place (I hope not).  If so, I'll ask Enzo and Nick to adjudicate. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Can the second and third placed modelers please check your private messages.

We (I) now have manuals from Haynes, and I'd like to send them to you.

I believe John DC Master's prize is already on its way.

PM sent Robert. Thanks again for proposing this GB and for gently nudging us along the way. A big thank you to Haynes Manuals for sponsoring the GB and donating the prizes.

I’ve replied as well Robert. Hats off to you and Haynes Publishing for putting on a fitting show to mark a truly momentous occasion. We all enjoyed celebrating it. 

Cheers and many thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

Many thanks Robert for organising and moderating the GB.

My mom informed me that the book has arrived with her and it will be wending it's way to Thailand over the next few months. 

Thanks to Haynes for sponsorship, it made a nice surprise at the end of the project. 

Colin 

• Like 1