The Royal Air Force Centenary GB Chat

22 hours ago, Paul_B said:

I would be very interested in joining this GB, contributing a Boulton Paul Defiant to the mix.

OH! Yes :) You are very welcome Paul.

The old Airfix Defiant was the first kit I ever built - the plastic was black, but by the time I finished gluing it together, I'm convinced the kit was white ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

OH! Yes :) You are very welcome Paul.

The old Airfix Defiant was the first kit I ever built - the plastic was black, but by the time I finished gluing it together, I'm convinced the kit was white ...

In the mists of time i actually entered one of these into the Model Engineers Exhibition competitions. Fortunately, in hindsight, the package didn't withstand the rigours of Royal Mail so the viewing public were saved from scrutinising a badly constructed kit, badly painted. 

My entry to the GB will be 1:48, i have both Classic Airframes and Airfix kits. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul_B said:

My entry to the GB will be 1:48, i have both Classic Airframes and Airfix kits. 

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Either would be good to see built (I do have a soft spot for the Defiant ;) )

Both would be better as Enzo is known to say :D 

• Haha 3

As an ex crab I’ll join in with this GB if you’ll have me. Not sure about aircraft type yet but it’ll be 1/48 or 1/32. Looks like a good excuse to buy more plastic! 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 5:16 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

"The Colonial Contribution"

"The Kiwis"

485 Sqd - Spitfire

Dave, I've signed up for this build but only just discovered your "Colonial Contribution" idea and just wanted to say that being a Kiwi - albeit a very long way from home - I'll be contributing with a Spitfire IIa flown by 485(NZ) Sqn ;)

Cheers and a great idea for the Commonwealth members,

Tim

• Like 5

On 18/01/2018 at 10:33 PM, Smithy said:

Dave, I've signed up for this build but only just discovered your "Colonial Contribution" idea and just wanted to say that being a Kiwi - albeit a very long way from home - I'll be contributing with a Spitfire IIa flown by 485(NZ) Sqn ;)

Tim

Wow, a Kiwi building a British plane living in Norway, that's the globe covered then !

Good luck Tim

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 19/01/2018 at 8:33 AM, Smithy said:

Tim

Apologies for the late reply Tim, that’s great news and it’s only fitting to model a Kiwi aircraft as part of this GB. 

Welcome aboard... I’ll now delve into the ‘Chilly Bin’ and raise a toast to that! 

Cheers from the other side of the globe.. Dave 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ll now delve into the ‘Chilly Bin’ and raise a toast to that! 

Surely you mean chully bun Dave :D

Really looking forward to this, I'll be using the new tool Airfix 1/72 Spit I kit with the 3D-Kits conversion set.

Hopefully there's a few more Commonwealth types who will sign up.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

There should be.... we’ll round them up like sheep a little closer to the starting date. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

They'll be very welcome, as would a few more Brits - not forgetting the help we received from Europe and the Eagle squadrons ...

Good to see you have your subject @Smithy :)

• Like 1

Very true Robert. As well as the Commonwealth types we need the Norwegians, Americans, Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, French, Belgians, Greeks, Dutch, and those from the former Yugoslavia! Plus there was the odd Irish boy flying with the RAF as well.

• Like 2

On 21/01/2018 at 6:43 PM, Smithy said:

Very true Robert. As well as the Commonwealth types we need the Norwegians, Americans, Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, French, Belgians, Greeks, Dutch, and those from the former Yugoslavia! Plus there was the odd Irish boy flying with the RAF as well.

Don’t forget the Rhodesians (North and South), Newfoundlander, Jamaican and Barbadian.

• Like 3

If possible I'd like to sign up for this? I've never done a group build before but this seems like a great one to get started in. I'm thinking about maybe doing the Eurofighter Typhoon but perhaps from the 2015 markings for J Nicolson. That might change though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pollitt said:

If possible I'd like to sign up for this? I've never done a group build before but this seems like a great one to get started in. I'm thinking about maybe doing the Eurofighter Typhoon but perhaps from the 2015 markings for J Nicolson. That might change though.

You are very welcome Pollitt, yes you are in :) There's no need to sign up for this one - or any future (or current) group builds here - you can jump in.

It's great to see a jet offered, we need a few more modern types, 

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

@wimbledon99 I'd love to see you build something for this GB, and you'd be very welcome.

As to the 'Egg' Spitfire, can find a photo of one in service?

If not, then, I'm sorry, but no

Hi Robert, The 'Egg' is more a bit of fun so I'll look for something else :smile:

• Like 1