The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

Mrs 06/24 remains hospitalised with what they are now reasonably certain is a c. Diff infection. My world has therefore consisted mainly of washing machines, bleach and commuting to and from the hospital. However, with diagnosis comes treatment, so fingers crossed she will be on the mend and home soon.

However I did manage to make a start on the next victim of the 06/24/half built/never finished school of modelling:

29844594827_e7862e3ffe_c.jpgIn the footsteps of Procopius by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Now if only there had been an entertaining Spitfire build thread to warn me of the seat shaped perils ahead...

43037058410_b251729a16_c.jpgIX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

30976052368_05f33ac4ea_c.jpgIX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I seem to have made a right dogs breakfast of that. The IP went rather better:

43037058510_b1452637ca_c.jpgIX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The photo doesn't do it justice.

Still, no one will notice the bodgery once it's all closed up, right?

30976052408_7cd7fc8154_c.jpgIX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Glad to hear that there's some progress, Jon. And nice start on the Spit! Is this the one with beer barrels?

Yes indeed, two airframes in the box, so one Beer Bomber, and one as a crash landed example in Normandy, perhaps, like this:

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs THE BRITISH ARMY IN THE NORMANDY CAMPAIGN 1944. © IWM (B 5660) IWM Non Commercial License

Unfortunately the kit doesn't come with that set of markings, so I may try to source some, but it does include MK892 which did make an emergency landing in Normandy on 10 June.

• Like 2

Glad to see you didn't bother with the fold-up PE compass.  I did on my first Eduard and it is now impossible to see even with the door and canopy open!  Lesson learned.

Eduard should do a new Edition version called the "Ĺong Weekend Edition" - this would consist of the plastic, PE belts and IP only, the masks and some decals.  The rest of the profipack bits are fairly superfluous, certainly at 1/72.

Cheers

Will

• Like 4

Pleased to hear that Mrs 06/24 has a diagnosis now and I hope the treatment leads to a speedy recovery :) 

Good start on the Spits too - I have one of those in the stash for later so watching with interest!

• Like 1

I couldn't figure out a way to clean the mould lines and attachment point off the tiny strut behind the pilots armour, so replaced it with some 0.33mm brass rod, a bit smaller in diameter than the kit part, but it should look ok with some paint.

• Like 2

Despite repeated dry fitting, fiddling about and being as careful as my slipshod methods allow, the cowl still ended up with a lip, so there was nothing for it but to smear on some filler even though it will mean the lovely surface details will disappear. 

The wings were reluctant to fit, so it's clamped up and being left overnight to harden.

Still, it already looks Spitty -like

29932931147_fdb41b85aa_c.jpgIX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 5

Mrs 06/24 is home from hospital!

Mr 06/24 is equal parts relieved and happy. 06/24 minor is ecstatic, especially as he didn't know she was coming home, and so it was a nice surprise when he got back from school.

Family drama concluded, I made a little progress. If I'm honest much as I love the fidelity of the Eduard kit, I'm beginning to find the multi-part approach to everything tedious.  

However, I have persisted.

44934867611_463c752427_c.jpgIX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The chin scoop remains separate as, with the ridiculously small etch bits installed, I ended up with a bit of a depressed seam, so filling and sanding is necessary before it can be fitted.

44934868011_d92ea8a3b6_c.jpgIX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Underneath, we have the radiator covers (4 parts each where one would be fine!) and the slipper tank. Inside each radiator cover there are two etched rad grills. The starboard one should have a miniscule etched vane at the front, but I could find no way to make it stay in place, so have adopted a Nelsonian approach and am ignoring it.

Worst fitting part in the whole model so far was the closed cockpit door, which still betrays its rough treatment to make it fit. Inside is another piece of etch lunacy, the door catch/handle. I can't get it to show in a photo, but I know it's there...

• Like 9

4 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Underneath, we have the radiator covers (4 parts each where one would be fine!) and the slipper tank. Inside each radiator cover there are two etched rad grills. The starboard one should have a miniscule etched vane at the front, but I could find no way to make it stay in place, so have adopted a Nelsonian approach and am ignoring it.

Sensible choice. It's a small pipe in any case, so should be represented by lead wire or some such thing.

Glad Mrs 06/24 is back!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Mrs 06/24 is home from hospital!

Mr 06/24 is equal parts relieved and happy. 06/24 minor is ecstatic, especially as he didn't know she was coming home, and so it was a nice surprise when he got back from school.

Family drama concluded, I made a little progress. If I'm honest much as I love the fidelity of the Eduard kit, I'm beginning to find the multi-part approach to everything tedious.  

However, I have persisted.

44934867611_463c752427_c.jpgIX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The chin scoop remains separate as, with the ridiculously small etch bits installed, I ended up with a bit of a depressed seam, so filling and sanding is necessary before it can be fitted.

44934868011_d92ea8a3b6_c.jpgIX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Worst fitting part in the whole model so far was the closed cockpit door, which still betrays its rough treatment to make it fit. Inside is another piece of etch lunacy, the door catch/handle. I can't get it to show in a photo, but I know it's there...

On the mk ix I put together I found similar issues, if you want the door closed the armour panel needs narrowing a least 1mm before the side door will shut and apart from the IP and seat bets the rest of the etch is superfluous

Edited by neil5208
Superfluous
  • Like 3

I tend to agree with @neil5208most of the etch seems superfluous- the radiator grills for example are glue to a flat panel, so add nothing that couldn’t have been done in plastic.

Thanks @John D.C. MastersIt’s a nice kit, fiddly bits not withstanding.

Finally, dear @Procopiuswhat are you doing to me. Had I known it was a pipe/tube I would have drilled a hole and popped in some lead wire. Now I know but can’t do anything about it 😂

Good news about Mrs 06/24 and I hope she's fully recovered, if not now then soon :) 

Those tiny PE bits eh? A pain in the radiators and they'll probably never be seen again.

Onwards!

• Like 1

Apologies, dear reader, if you're tuning in to see progress on a Spitfire mk IX, but I have had an exhausting week and progress has been sporadic.

30036294757_8ce01c365c_c.jpgBeer IX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The chin is fitted, and a few sticky-out bits, so last night I turned my attention to the beer barrels:

30036294467_a0ab20114f_c.jpgBeer IX by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Unfortunately I broke one of the ends in half when attempting to clean off the pour stub, fortunately I was able to repair it and I think, once painted, the damage will be more of less invisible.

Anyway, for light relief I've been building something else:

44925500612_d605759ea6_c.jpgM4 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

However that doesn't belong in this winged (imagine me saying it "wing-ed") company, so I shall say no more here. Spitfiring will resume shortly.

• Like 5