The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

Just now, 06/24 said:

Weirdly appealling, although if I feel lazy the kit includes an overall bronzegrun example.

Nope, boring, now get out that Tamiya tape, a fresh scalpel  and of course you'll be airbrushing this for maximum stress relief🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well the rocket is finished. That was quick!

V2

On to the stand /launch tower/trailer thingy. And here we hit our first slight pothole, in that part 18 should have 8 identical little legs (like a plastic spider!) but three were short shot. I’m not sure my metal replacements really pass muster but once surrounded by other bits hopefully they’ll do:

V2

• Like 3

It turns out the correct name for the thingy is apparently ABSCHUSSPLATTFORM, which I think roughly translates as "firing table" so that's what we'll call it. Sounds better than thingy anyway.

The firing table was a little beggar to get square. Not helped by my initially having the base plate at right angles to the correct orientation. It's still not perfect but I think will do.

46357811655_ca2deb1673_c.jpgV2 Abschussplattform by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 4

Turns out I could have omitted the eight legged  platform, as it was removed before firing (it seems it was intended for technicians to stand on when preparing for launch). However it is now firmly glued in place.

1 minute ago, amblypygid said:

Seconded. Looks like there's some really nice detail on this kit, though it's not my cup of tea.

Not a subject I ever gave much thought to before, but when I saw it I thought it fitted in with the late/post war theme of my recent interests (I'm currently reading Eric Brown's biography). Plus, as Anil has pointed out, the camouflage schemes are pretty funky looking. I've never had much interest in Axis models and yet this weekend I've bought three.

• Like 1

Would they be very weathered? Presumably they didn’t have a very long shelf life and were somewhat cosseted by their technicians prior to use. I’m torn however between the splinter camo and the hi-vis black and white scheme used in the British “Backfire” tests in late 1945. I might have to build two!

• Like 1

So progress has been fairly rapid:

46558213854_b1517c798b_c.jpg1/72 scale A4/V2 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Added rods across the attachment points for the trailer hooks:

46558213754_79bbf826c0_c.jpg1/72 scale A4/V2 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

And a back to the valve cabinet:

32339450427_9c26f1fe83_c.jpg1/72 scale A4/V2 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

That's all I had to add, although there might be plenty more one could do if so minded, the tall rod/hose attachment might yet get added.

This tiny fitting almost vanished to the floor, but was finally retrieved.

40317198643_ab1f7e7bd3_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The trailer suffered from misaligned moulds, and the front leg had no foot, so another short shot.

46558723144_e75b110f20_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

46558723084_a6a47ff806_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The wheels are only dry fitted until after paint.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

The ABSCHUSSPLATTFORM is finished, just paint to do.

40317588663_4a3a23874e_c.jpgA4/V2 Rocket by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

33406526848_bcb601930c_c.jpgA4/V2 Rocket by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

40317588313_652b13b0ba_c.jpgA4/V2 Rocket by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

33406526898_0e24817a12_c.jpgA4/V2 Rocket by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Now that looks great plus its great reminder of how much of technology we have accepted for granted came at a  price; Models have a way of sometimes bringing that history we should not forget back to view..A teenager who saw my V2 and was curious,was stunned to hear that it and the Saturn rocket that put Neil Armstrong ( about whom she had seen a movie lest she ever read a book instead) were designed by the same man, who also managed to land a few on various parts of England and Holland that had already been discovered. and we're taking their own steps and leaps thank you very much.

BTW if you want a simpler scheme, do a B&W prototype, the checker board is really easy to mask and looks impressive

https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/A4-V2-Prototypes.html

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, azureglo said:

BTW if you want a simpler scheme, do a B&W prototype, the checker board is really easy to mask and looks impressive

V-2_lift-off.jpg

From Wikipedia, one of the British fired Operation Backfire launches. So I've ordered a second kit so I can do both the test scheme and the splinter camo.

• Like 4

On a more somber note, the V-2 killed about 2500 people in Britain and 1500 elsewhere. To achieve this for Germany, 20,000 slave laborers died either in the Mittelwerk assembly facility or were murdered after they were of no further use to the Germans. Two hundred of them were hanged for sabotage, and we shall probably never know their names, but I think of them often; they must have known they were almost certainly numbered among the walking dead, for the Germans made no attempt to hide what would be their ultimate fate, and yet through their fear and despair they must have summoned up their last reserves of courage and strength to fight back in the only way they could.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

I mean no disrespect in building a model.

Oh no, I didn't think you did! I hope you didn't feel that was my implication.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Somber indeed. I mean no disrespect in building a model.

Actually from what I've seen, it's the exact opposite, folk start asking what is that and then , for a change they have something to think about beyond the latest Youtube fashion channel and this seasons must have trainers. Build on with pride, Jon as George Santayana, told us "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Anil

• Like 7

Ditto what Anil says. It is out of respect or remembrance. His example is a very good one as to how we can help inform folk beyond the usual tosh and nonsense which too frequently passes for entertainment or education these days. Build on with pride Jon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

... no need to get too hung up on the history, after all they certainly didn't when offering anybody and everybody associated with it new lives and careers postwar.....

...and not a swastika in sight.

Looks like a neat kit and a neat piece of work Jon, perhaps a little 'odd' sitting on that tiny platform. Perhaps a figure or vehicle for scale....anyone know if Revell will be boxing the Special Armour accessories (Meillerwagon transporter, Hanomag..?)