The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Right-oh. What shape and where I wonder? As you know by now I have a bit of a blind spot with gunsights. I know the Sabre (at least the E & F models) had some sort of secret squirrel radar guided gunsight, but my research so far hasn’t noticed what the screen was like.

maxresdefault.jpg

it goes in the rectangular box on the coaming with a slot .

12 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Or I can wait for Anil's kind gift. But I'm a masochist  modeller, so let's see what I can do.

Will be run off and posted tomorrow AM along with mask sand undercarriage and sprue glop material monkey men:rofl:All has stopped at Chateau Kumar after an afternoon of Alclad madness, its Lamb Curry time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pilots and sight looking good Jon…

I wonder when some kit manufacturers are going to realise that some of us like to model aircraft actually flying??!! :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Pilots and sight looking good Jon…

I wonder when some kit manufacturers are going to realise that some of us like to model aircraft actually flying??!! :) 

Don't worry, I send them Angry of Basingstoke signed emails every day...soon all kits will come with gear up options, magnet mounting points and transparent thread to hand them from ceilings ( in case of the B-36 being re-issued,, some roof strengthening timbers as well). A flying victory shall be ours!

• Like 4

There's a thread somewhere in the vast reaches of Britmodeller dedicated to Sabre drop tanks. From this I learned that on many kits the tank pylons are too far outboard. So it proved on this kit, the pylons being 38mm from the centreline rather than the correct 35mm. So out with pencil, steel rule and drills. I filled the kit mounting holes with stubs trimmed from the pylons, smoothed them off and then fitted the tanks in their revised inboard location.

32171625937_bece825353_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

46199732115_bc8c2fbbff_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Apart from the nose wheel door, construction is complete, so I couldn't resist a quick flight test.

46199731455_7c8550c618_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

46199731645_c12b7980d6_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 8

That kind Mr Azureglo sent me a template for the front gear doors. Unfortunately somewhere between Donut City and Scotland, my image software resized them and the templates were a bit small. Undeterred, I set to with steel rule and scalpel, and hacked this together:

32172774787_38c374cff1_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

It's just dry fitted in the photo, but is now snugly glued in place. A skim of filler will ensure the subtle curvature of the fuselage is replicated.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Alarming amount of Proper Modelling going on in this thread, Jonners.

Kind of you, but its all bodging, honest. These Hobbyboss quickies are great fun, and if it all goes pete tong, cost peanuts so there's no great fear of messing them up.s

While the filler dries, a little progress on the Airfix. This will be wheels down, but might have to be closed hood as I fitted the cockpit during my first construction burst, years ago, and so had to use decals (Microscale) for the IP and consoles. It really is crying out for at least a little relief, which brass might have given. The Pavla seat doesn't fit the Airfix tub either, and had to be slimmed down considerably.

47063219132_b5facc99a3_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

47063219222_6809653da5_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

That kind Mr Azureglo sent me a template for the front gear doors. Unfortunately somewhere between Donut City and Scotland, my image software resized them and the templates were a bit small. Undeterred, I set to with steel rule and scalpel, and hacked this together:

32172774787_38c374cff1_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

It's just dry fitted in the photo, but is now snugly glued in place. A skim of filler will ensure the subtle curvature of the fuselage is replicated.

Close enough...and in the (almost) words of the late great Kenneth Williams " Flying Tonight!"

32173810687_3de5dd7646_b.jpg

Yay, its the HokeyBoss display team.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

32174305857_eaa4e3deb4_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

And construction is finished. My only reservation is the fit of the canopy, there's a bit of a step round the edge, but I'll wait until I see it under primer to decide if it requires attention, or some Nelsonian ignoring.

There's a big'ol step and gap there, I hit it with lots of Mr Surface, sanded for a wee while and then got bored and went with it as best I could. The AMS is reserved for the upcoming Spook...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Thank the gods for superglue

33241410918_15c6043f31_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

And thank the Airfix instructions for showing the correct way!

On a more serious note,I leave tailplanes etc off when  till final assembly, unless you need to to. That way no blowback when spraying with dreaded grainy bits and easier decalling, the tailplanes on these are push fit in any case PS I note you still have the witches broom pitot, I hacked it off after the NMF as I hated it so much...I see much fiddling with Albion tubing this weekend..

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, azureglo said:

...the tailplanes on these are push fit in any case...

Only if you put them on the right way up!

I'm surprised the witches broom hasn't broken off, it's a bit chunky but I decided it was better than I could scratchbuild, so it's staying put unless I break it.

• Like 1