The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

Bit more progress before heading to the gym this morning

47034545231_1ef64f78b9_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

40069735333_7e81d1992c_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The IP decal was useless, and looked pants, so the nicely textured plastic part will suffice, given that it will be all but invisible.

Squadron Leader Haddock.in with

33159386218_fbb803a9b9_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

33159386228_9abb9721ea_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Having recently completed an F.3 myself WiP and RFI, it will be interesting to see if you encounter that same wing issues as I did.

Looking good so far.

Stuart

Ooh had been looking for past experiences to learn from. Off to read. Fit of parts (wings, nacelle, tail booms) so far has been, I think the polite word is, challenging. I seem to be in for a lot of filling fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 06/24 said:

I'm going to experiment with the magnet fixing idea, so some suitable magnets have been installed, along with the representative ends of the goblin.

40066272243_74565fae10_c.jpgVampire by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

That's all for tonight, and unfortunately the work bench has had to revert to homework desk for tomorrow, but hopefully I can crack on over the weekend.

• Haha 2

@Courageous's build thread has given me useful warning on the wings, although mine have gone on without too much drama. The tail was a very tight fit and I had to trim the mounting tabs either side. The booms look ok now I've cleaned up the filler. 

46984970372_769e05e9c4_c.jpgVampire by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

It's not perfect by any means, but it does look vampiric.

Slowly sorting the closed gear doors, but pausing now for rugby.

47036992731_37eec5123f_c.jpgVampire by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

I thought I had some 5mm acrylic rod to use for an in flight stand, but all I can find in the cupboard is square section. It'll be ok, but I think round would look better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-ACRYLIC-ROD-2MM-50MM-LENGTHS-ROUND-PERSPEX-SOLID-BAR-100MM-500MM-LONG/360760507225?hash=item53ff007b59:m:mpk1TAG3756EYzDRmn_pe9w&var=630168888617

6 mm is best for small 1/72 and anything bigger/heavier 8mm. They usually deliver in 72 hours. PS have you test this? on curved fuselages you can get some wobble and  need something like a flat sheet underneath,   like this:

rotte&key=3c5ce30333ef76eee46ebd513f7f52

If you don't have any 2mm sheet I can knock off a few pieces on Monday  and mail them to you seeing as you don't need any wheels this time, I may even have "some" spare 6mm rod....BTW cutting/drilling acrylic is much harder that people think and it too a few attempts and my pillar drill to get it right, I'm guessing you're going down the glue route?

• Like 1

Thanks but no need. I'll test with the square for for now. I wondered about the curved belly but as it happens theres just a neat spot that the magnet sits in - I'm using 5mm disc magnets and the inside one is actually doubled , as I rescued a pair I had stuck together as model railway uncouplers this has the added bonus (I think, my physics is a bit hazy, school prize was more than thirty years ago!) of increasing the attraction.

Yes a frustrating game. So good to see Scotland trying to play positive rugby though. I went and started making the venison stew for dinner once I realised it was out of Scotland’s reach.  

• Like 1

Absolutely; the frustration is because you know they can execute so well, rather than because they just cannot compete, and because they do so much good work before letting it go. Talking of dinner, I must go and start tonight's curry (Keralan chicken, for those with culinary curiosity).

• Like 1

Thoughts turn to how to paint it. The kit schemes are pretty enough, but if this is a 1946+ what if, and Anil's Arado was really still fighting, I suspect the RAF would have retained the late war camo colours? But I'm happy to entertain other suggestions?

12 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Thoughts turn to how to paint it. The kit schemes are pretty enough, but if this is a 1946+ what if, and Anil's Arado was really still fighting, I suspect the RAF would have retained the late war camo colours? But I'm happy to entertain other suggestions?

Or, they could have gone with a polished natural metal airframe to give the Vampire more chances of getting the Arado 581.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Or, they could have gone with a polished natural metal airframe to give the Vampire more chances of getting the Arado 581.

Yes you may well be right, Nmf still gives me the fear, but perhaps that the way to go.

Just now, 06/24 said:

Yes you may well be right, Nmf still gives me the fear, but perhaps that the way to go.

Just coat the entire plane in white and then brush the desired metallic paint. I think you also brushed painted. 

If you don't wish to try the NMF, go for a desert scheme, I did that with my Ar 555 and Ho 229.

• Thanks 1

I had been considering "crud and custard" desert colours so that is a possibility. I may try a couple of thin coats of aluminium and see how it goes, can always try something else if it looks naff.

• Thanks 1

Thanks PC. I'm no Vampy expert, but there's something visible in this shot?

4680006726_a18c0093e0_z.jpgDe Haviland Vampire by Anemone Nemorosa, on Flickr

I freely admit that:

1. The plane in the photo isn't an F3. (I think it's an FB.50, which was derived from the FB.5?)

2. If the fore and aft line is the one, on the kit it's greatly exaggerated.

3. I've used so much filler that a little more wouldn't hurt!

4. As a whiffer, am I over thinking this?

5. Laziness may win out.

• Like 2