so that means i've got to build a 1/72 version of the NY skyline

(or a ford mustang)

Edited by SA80A2AR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stickers...

33109923938_b6b0f7c074_c.jpgStickers by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

46071644365_a624dc7dac_c.jpgStickers by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Although the Avalon decals performed well again, there are some errors, most notably the name which they have as "Smiling Jack" whereas the reality was "Smilin Jack". Easily sorted,  but the red crosses on the fuselage don't quite match my references (although they are very close), and that on the port side, which is, inevitably, over the hinges, has deformed slightly while I tried to stretch it down over the hinges. In hindsight I should have cut holes and then painted over.

• Like 8

And so we inch towards the finish line. Undercarriage, de-icer boots and wing lights needed to finish off. Tonight I've fitted the exhausts and given it a dirt/dust wash to tone everything down, and done the minor paint touch ups that were necessary.

33134565378_4ddf687432_c.jpgProgress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

33134565278_aaba387076_c.jpgProgress by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 9

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley...

33145108038_42a589ae6a_c.jpgNearly nearly... by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I thought I might get finished tonight, but when I dry fitted the wing light covers, one of the little blighters popped inside the wing. And there's no way of getting it back. So a scratchbuild awaits. So I stopped, mindful that I had probably just fallen victim to more haste less speed. Nearly, nearly indeed.

• Like 6

Looking good!

A little square of clear sellotape works wonders for leading edge light covers. You can touch up the edges with  paint to look like the frame round the outside.

Regards,

Adrian

edit - was it one of those solid ones where you paint the back silver, in which case sellotape probably isn’t the answer :(

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Bad luck matey. You might be able to shake it out but otherwise tape/UV glue it is :) 

Vigorous shaking and choice Anglo Saxon were both applied immediately but to no avail. It's not a disaster, I'll be able to fudge something, but when I'm less tired, more relaxed I think.

As a break from C-47s, and inspired to defend Blighty from the 'orrible 'un, in the form of my good friend and spare undercarriage dealer @azureglo's weird and frankly "hit with the ugly stick" Arado E581.4 I acquired some suitably late '40s VBT (very British tech) and set to work:

46117313885_45ef0f8fe8_c.jpgVampire by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

46117314205_bf5ce6a698_c.jpgVampire by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Now in best Anil style, this will be in flight. Unlike Anil, however, I have no objections to playing with dolls, so my Vampire has acquired a driver. 

47030994851_ac60e360d2_c.jpgVampire by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Although his current goth-like appearance is probably oddly appropriate for a vampire, more paint will be applied tomorrow. He was, frankly, hard work, as the cockpit is cramped and little plastic figures don't squish in the same way as humans! In the end his Frankenstein creation includes Airfix mustang pilot legs and butt, with modified Revell RAF torso, head and arms.I

I'm going to experiment with the magnet fixing idea, so some suitable magnets have been installed, along with the representative ends of the goblin.

40066272243_74565fae10_c.jpgVampire by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

That's all for tonight, and unfortunately the work bench has had to revert to homework desk for tomorrow, but hopefully I can crack on over the weekend.

• Like 5