The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

I think the rugby ball is, technically, the "Radio Compass Loop", but whatever, it's fitted. I was brave/stupid, and fitted the forward aerial stay, which is the one kit part fitted in line with the instructions, it's very fragile and a brass replacement may become necessary. The rugby ball was fitted further aft, in accordance with the drawings, and the pole mast just to the starboard rear of the rugby ball was added from wire. (Airfix do include a pole for use here, but it's on the centreline, which didn't match the drawing, and the wire replacement is more robust.)

46751576322_0ae8549c53_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

Perhaps inevitably, paint has highlighted a few blemishes which I had previously overlooked, so some rubbing back and respraying will probably be needed. Overall, however, I’m reasonably pleased. It’s not mirror smooth, but it’s “not bad”.

• Like 2

I'm trying to be patient and let the paint harden before I do any more work on it.

The very slight residual blemishes are only visible from certain angles, so I'm considering whether trying to improve might be a retrograde step. The perfect is the enemy of the good, as they say. Well "good enough" in this case. 

45900474695_fc6a0ae7c1_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

45900474875_f9375eb035_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 8

That is looking good to me Jon, I'm too impatient for perfection & looking at all those aerial things sticking out, I'd say there is a bit of "be careful what you wish for" lurking around it just now.  Not sure if you intend to clear coat it, maybe a satin finish will be more forgiving & help to even out some of those blemishes you're seeing (hanged if I can. :) )

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks folks. I've ordered some silver chrome buffing powder to trial, and see if it helps smooth out the surface (I'll test it somewhere inconspicuous.) However if it doesn't I think the surface will be ok for decals with a light buff and some gloss coat. Undecided if I go for satin or flat finish after that, this is meant to represent a working aircraft after all.

Tonight I have had various chores and haven't made any progress on either this or the Italeri 'plane, but I'm making up for it by learning more about the bravery of the men who flew these planes over the hump.

46830583161_b733093af6_c.jpgThe Hump by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

I've gloss coated the C-47 in preparation for adding the coloured panels.on the nose, and then the decals. However shiny gloss coat on shiny silver is a boring picture. So instead here's some first steps in the driver of the second plane:

39877291703_de661b15fe_c.jpgPilot by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

46790157382_eafc7ded08_c.jpgPilot by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

39877291723_1eb920fd54_c.jpgPilot by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Hopefully managed to disguise his Germanic origins! Needs a dark wash and maybe a light dry brush. And then will be hidden anyway!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Would you be so kind to tell me if this kit comes with the short carburator intakes? 

Hi, yes it does. However, depending on your prototype the ones from the Italeri kit might be a better bet, as they have the "ears" that stick out towards the front. However, the Airfix seems like a much nicer kit all round, just "sharper", so if I were you I might mix and match. In my case, I used the Airfix short intakes, with the forward part of the Italeri tropical filters. I'd send you the short ones from my Italeri box, but I'm afraid I need them for the Evac plane, sorry.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Hi, yes it does. However, depending on your prototype the ones from the Italeri kit might be a better bet, as they have the "ears" that stick out towards the front. However, the Airfix seems like a much nicer kit all round, just "sharper", so if I were you I might mix and match. In my case, I used the Airfix short intakes, with the forward part of the Italeri tropical filters. I'd send you the short ones from my Italeri box, but I'm afraid I need them for the Evac plane, sorry.

Not really accustomed to such amount of kidness, thanks!

I wanted to know because Argentina used the short intaked C-47, and wanted to buy the Airfix kit and use an Xtradecal sheet on it. Which part number do the short intakes have on your kit?

Edit: Ah, you're building the C-47 boxing, the one available right now from Hannants are the Dakota III and IV, don't know if those boxings keep the same pieces of the C-47.

Edited by Sturmovik

Hi @Sturmovik yes they do have the same parts (except the skis). These are the short intakes in the Dakota IV Airfix box:

31912980847_5fe245739a_c.jpgIntakes by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

39889334523_c7fe2ace94_c.jpgIntakes by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Whereas these are the Italeri versions:

31912980817_8e2e89a71f_c.jpgIntakes by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

39889334313_7d1a58cd5a_c.jpgIntakes by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Excellent, thank you very much for the photos. I'll get the Airfix kit, because you can add the windows after painting.

You can, but bear in mind the clear plastic part includes the frames, so will still need painted at some point.

52 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

You can, but bear in mind the clear plastic part includes the frames, so will still need painted at some point.

Better than risking myself to mask them only for them to fall inside the fuselage.

Another question, does the kit come with a blanking plate for the clear cupola?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Better than risking myself to mask them only for them to fall inside the fuselage.

Another question, does the kit come with a blanking plate for the clear cupola?

No, at least not that I've noticed.

• Like 1