The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

Nice work Jon - those internals look great :) 

Wings not fitting eh? Clean off all the paint, check for slight lumps on the moulding of the joins, clean it off and then wiggle the hell out of them until they fit. 

Maybe.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Jon - those internals look great :) 

Wings not fitting eh? Clean off all the paint, check for slight lumps on the moulding of the joins, clean it off and then wiggle the hell out of them until they fit. 

Maybe.

Thanks Ced - they fit fine (although the separate wing root fillets will take some wriggling), the dry fit was more a photo opportunity than a necessity.

2 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Looks lovely, Jon. Just catching up after a couple of modelling & Britmodeller free months, and I love that Warhawk, too.

Thanks Chris.

• Like 1

The dry fit showed the upper wings fit pretty well, although the starboard wing root had a minor gap, which I shimmed with a strip of 0.25mm plastic strip:

45811717155_595a3df66b_c.jpgC-47 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Then it was "nurse, the clamps..." with a few shiny new ones bought earlier today, together with a old stager or two:

45811717975_f0f04fab7a_c.jpgC-47 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

45811718095_3320bb7a84_c.jpgC-47 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 5

I knew from reading reviews that the wing spar would need to be reduced in depth for the underside of the wings to fit, and to be honest that wasn't a problem. What I wasn't prepared for was the lousy fit of the wing trailing edge. The new clamps got a real workout:

39764853223_dca5111f92_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Yep, I've enjoyed it so much I have bought another!

Not such dramatic progress tonight - with the main structure complete it's time for the fiddly bits. Engines first:

46744718991_f46ebc45eb_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

46744719141_1959c67809_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The air scoops above the engines are in two parts. Unfortunately the forward part of one is missing, presumed never packed, as it wasn't present on the sprue. I'll have to rob one off the new kit, and order the (one piece) Quickboost replacements to use on the second plane.

• Like 3

Among the goodies I've ordered from Hannants is the Avalon decal sheet C-47 Skytrain over CBI and PTO  and I'd like to build the "ChardiE" and "Assam Air Lines" options. However the latter needs the smaller C-47A air intakes with a tropical filter on the front, the Airfix kit has the small intakes (so I needn't have ordered replacements after all!) But not the forward filter extensions, and so far my Google-fu has failed to turn up any aftermarket parts, or dimensional drawings for me to scratchbuild some. Looking at online images I "think" the original Italeri boxing may have included them, but my guess is they would be pretty crude.

I need to decide which aircraft this first build is to be, and which I'm going to do for the group build. I'd like to do a plain jane olive drab version too, but again have failed to turn up suitable decals for a CBI theatre plane.

• Like 3

Bingo!

46714285172_32ae9fe8a0_c.jpgBingo! by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The Italeri Kwicherbichen boxing has the right intakes. (Curiously the Italeri instructions ignore fitting the intakes altogether!)

I got hold of a copy of the Osprey book on C-47s in PTO and CBI and it has a co!our profile of the Assam Airlines bird, as well as one of another yellow 1352nd rescue plane. Fianlly, it confirms that the Smilin Jack markings on the Avalon set is for an 803rd Evac Squadron plane also in India, so I can do those three and they could, theoretically at least, have been seen together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Finally, finally, I found a recent build on here of these planes in 1/144 which is well worth a read: 

- if mine turn out even half as well as @dnl42's I shall be very pleased!

Apologies for the lack of feedback, I struggle with transports and Civvy airliners, hoping this will get my twin engine Jones going...I have a Roden 144 Dak with Pan Am decals which I got at Telford so maybe this will inspire me to get transporting...

• Like 1

No worries, weirdly I've always had a fascination with C-47s but this is the first time I've built one. I'm waiting for the Hannants deliveries to arrive before pressing on, and trying to decide if I want to wait for the upcoming GB to start the next two! On the other hand, my GB completion record (indeed my completion record full stop) is dreadful so perhaps I should carry on while I have gathered some momentum.I

• Like 2