The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

1 minute ago, 06/24 said:

I think @azureglo is trying to tell me something 😂

32728751258_92da8b7e76_c.jpgU

Meanwhile this may not look like progress, but the keen eyed among you may observe that rather more is blue than this time yesterday:

If we co-ordinate our builds, I'll always have U/C spares for you...BTW this is a nice scheme for your Hellcat, blue, shmooo

39637769643_5f80f65ab4_b.jpg

Anil

• Like 4

Just discovered this thread and now following -  read through all 20 pages.   Amazing work and so much information.  Unless I've missed it though I've yet to come across a completed build......but getting closer. I guess you are an inspiration to all of us 'modellers'....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Sadly you are correct. It's been a long time since I finished anything. The last finished build was this ugly thing.

Oh you're gonna finish one Jon boy, even if it means I have to hack out every undercarriage from every kit I have, you'll finish one...

• Haha 5

That is very helpful and pleasingly says I can paint the wheel wells blue too! 

Thnaks for the kind words everyone, the Hellcat does betray its basic ancestry in places - I could have made a better job of hiding the horizontal seam where the lower fuselage meets the upper, and the canopy doesn’t really fit well (it was worse before I removed the massive locating tabs) as it’s a tad tall and narrow, but I’m frightened to apply to much pressure when fixing it (as although that might spread and lower it, it might also break it!)

• Like 1

46616406171_d32baf6f7a_c.jpg1/72 Hobbyboss Grumman Hellcat by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

46564441142_2bd57a2ffe_c.jpg1/72 Hobbyboss Grumman Hellcat by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

45702124495_1453a2f79c_c.jpg1/72 Hobbyboss Grumman Hellcat by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

45892387244_e0cd282fc5_c.jpg1/72 Hobbyboss Grumman Hellcat by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Just a few final bits to paint (prop blade tips, guns) and then it's just about done.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Just a few final bits to paint (prop blade tips, guns) and then it's just about done.

Just as well, I don't have any Hellcat undercarriage parts of any description...😉

(Note to self, buy Hellcat kit to bung sexy gold decals onto...)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Just as well, I don't have any Hellcat undercarriage parts of any description...😉

(Note to self, buy Hellcat kit to bung sexy gold decals onto...)

The Eduard is the way to go, not expensive and reportedly a decent build. The sexy stripes need a decent body, after all.

Just now, 06/24 said:

The Eduard is the way to go, not expensive and reportedly a decent build. The sexy stripes need a decent body, after all.

You do know, I'm just tip tapping away to avoid ruining my seriously bonkers Spit PRXiX which is drying after a gloss coat...Re the Eduard, they seem seem to complicate  everything beyond sanity and normal eyesight capability, occasionally I'd like it if they ...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e6821e98-3038-4538-9da3-2263754208e2

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I may have visited the model shop, and I may have bought a cheap Tomcat. I'm aware that there are better twin tailed cats available, but this was the only 1\72 A- model cat in the shop. (I briefly considered the larger Tamiya versions but the prices are eye watering). Blame the sy-fy channel for showing the Final Countdown the other day...

46566194672_7067b5b7d5_c.jpgTwin tailed cat by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

With thanks to Anil's Parts & Supply Inc., the Warhawk nears completion:

45718826775_518c369f6c_c.jpgP-40N Warhawk by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The Hellcat is complete, although would benefit from a flat coat, but the cold damp weather isn't conducive to spraying varnish, so I suspect it will stay as it is until the spring.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job on that Jon. Doesn't really need a flat coat, the colour is Glossy Sea Blue :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Agreed, but seal ye the HokeyBoss decals or ye shall have more flakes than Kelloggs...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job on that Jon. Doesn't really need a flat coat, the colour is Glossy Sea Blue :) 

Cheers,

Stew

True, but photos suggest to me the dual action magic of Pacific sun and salt spray flattened the gloss paint pretty quickly. However 

20 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Agreed, but seal ye the HokeyBoss decals or ye shall have more flakes than Kelloggs...

You are so right. Port fuselage stars and bars were in bits even before application. All have been sealed with Clear.

35 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

True, but photos suggest to me the dual action magic of Pacific sun and salt spray flattened the gloss paint pretty quickly...

I don't know, look under the tailplane and to the right of the erk standing by the cockpit, it still looks pretty shiny B) 

59 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Ah, apologies, I am not familiar with HobbyBoss kits but can easily believe it :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1