The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

Thanks Ced, and thanks for the likes folks. I'm pretty pleased with this so far, bearing in mind its brush painted. The kit decals have snuggled down nicely with some microsol

45490345885_aab457aa6b_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the "stars & bars" in the kit had no blue outline. I couldn’t find any reference material to support this so have replaced them with spares some of which (the wings) were exceedingly old Airfix but them seem to have behaved reasonably well.

• Like 4

2018's mission to be the year in which I complete... nothing, continues.

Between last night and this evening, an undercarriage leg has gone missing. Which for a kit designed only for wheels down display is pretty disastrous.

Between last night and this evening, our cleaner has been.

She knows not to touch the modelling desk or its contents. However she has obviously suffered an excess of festive zeal, everything had been moved, and I can only assume the leg has vanished up the hoover. An extensive search has turned up nothing. I'll have another look after dinner but to say I am disheartened is an understatement.

I cannot complain, she is a kindly and diligent soul, and in a house where we both work full time and long hours is a godsend.

• Sad 3

17 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Between last night and this evening, an undercarriage leg has gone missing. Which for a kit designed only for wheels down display is pretty disastrous.

Hey Jon if you recall I build only inflight these days so have the complete spare undercarriage from my Airfix Tomahawk, 

31477585127_16a1a96fd8_b.jpg

If you want it, it'll be in a jiffy bag to you asap if you PM me your address ( may even get to you next week). I'm pretty sure they'll work with Hokeyboss and from what I can see even the hubs look about the same.

Cheers

Anil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 12:42 PM, 06/24 said:

@azuregloyou diamond! PM inbound. Thank you!

And this outbound as of 15 minutes ago, next post collection is 9:00 Monday. BTW BM is a green forum, the jiffy bag and inner cardboard protector are the ones @bootneck sent some decals to me in, we've saved a tree /dolphin/polarbearcub/P40N build!

45695412844_f36df5dd1a_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

We already knew Anil was a gentleman and a scholar (what is the origin of that phrase I wonder?) And here is solid proof if any were needed.

Serendipitously, I have read that some of the 80th fighter group -Ns were fitted with the wheels from earlier aircraft (I think the logic being the earlier ones were larger and this better suited to the rough strips being used) so thanks to @azureglo's generosity the finished item will be even better!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

We already knew Anil was a gentleman and a scholar (what is the origin of that phrase I wonder?) And here is solid proof if any were needed.

Serendipitously, I have read that some of the 80th fighter group -Ns were fitted with the wheels from earlier aircraft (I think the logic being the earlier ones were larger and this better suited to the rough strips being used) so thanks to @azureglo's generosity the finished item will be even better!

Is true, I once gave up my seat to a lady (after she headbutted me) and two years ago I bought a book, The Great Pumpkin Returns and other Peanuts tales which I have almost finished...

Anil the Civilized & Edumacated

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Agreed. And also a very nice man.

Re-using jiffy bags - an eco-warrior if ever I saw one and a man after my own heart. Nice to know someone else has a pile of jiffy bags and (presumably) cardboard boxes of varying sizes, just in case 'they come in' :clap2:

• Like 1

As we're talking of manners:

Tragically (if very kindly), a young lad gave up his seat to me a crowded tube train the other week.  I'm only 55!

However the mirth engendered from this event by my colleagues (one was present) and family has almost made it worthwhile ...and I did get to sit down for two stops.

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Anil the Gentleman, the 'hawk has main wheels:

31619400427_325c21216b_c.jpgWheels by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Unfortunately thanks to 06/24 the disorganised and stupid and clumsy it no longer has a tail wheel. I don't care lalala...

I've got a bit bogged down with too many things in the bench, so am tidying up and will aim to start 2019 tomorrow with something fresh. Happy New Year all!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

31619400427_325c21216b_c.jpgWheels by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Unfortunately thanks to 06/24 the disorganised and stupid and clumsy it no longer has a tail wheel. I don't care lalala...

I've got a bit bogged down with too many things in the bench, so am tidying up and will aim to start 2019 tomorrow with something fresh. Happy New Year all!

Woohoo, so thats wot those roundy things do...

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2019 at 8:43 PM, 06/24 said:

Wheels by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

So you want this one then? Can be in the post first thing AM if required/

32702186418_5f3c8dc3d7_b.jpg

Anil the Undercarriage Repository

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

You are a diamond. I am a cretin.

Which is a messy way of saying “yes please, if you’re sure you don’t mind”.

Thank you, humbled of Uphall

It'll be in the post first thing , BTW can I recommend this  as a repository for wee bits during a build, like a tackle box but great for all the bits including decals, never lost anything yet not even a pitot and when you close 'em up, they're cleaner proof!

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/clear-storage-caddy/578084-1000

PS I knew my OCD would be a positive thing one day...

Anil

PS you are not a cretin, you're only

• Thanks 1

From the Unofficial Airfix Spares & Remainders Department:

"We are pleased to confirm dispatch of your requested part by Royal, Mail !st Class ( equivalent to Zimbabwe 3rd class tortoise mail)."

Yours,

M. Orethanmyjobsworth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While we wait for the tortoise to plod its weary way northwards, I bashed together another Hobbyboss quickie. I have the infinitely more refined Eduard offering in the stash, but this was, if anything, even easier than the P40. 

45675452815_d5983007f3_c.jpgHellcat (Hobbyboss 1/72) by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Again I intend to brush paint.

• Like 5