The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

5 hours ago, 06/24 said:

On initial consideration their response was... discouraging.

"On assessing your request, we unfortunately are unable to proceed and kindly request if you can supply some further information:"

What else does Airfix need in order to send you a new fuselage half? You´ve already sent photos of the defective piece. Revell Germany would have solved this issue without asking more questions.

You still can glue plasticard above the damaged area and then fill and rescribe it though, that´s the bright side of this.

• Like 1

Dragon Care direct rules!

Even MENG via the circuitous route of my eLHS through local AU distro representation were more responsive and co-operative than this.  Took less than 24 hours post notification for the decal set missing in the 1/48 MENG Me-410 kit (checked upon receipt) to be parted from distro stock dispatched properly packed. How to retain customers. Love my eLHS. They're great to deal with.

Admittedly, Airfix's 1/72 Bf 109 in this case is a just a Series One cheapie, but then you'd think that would actually make warranty replacement a non-issue, wouldn't you? Feel for you in your frustration. 

• Like 1

I'm much less bothered by the 109, which as you say is a cheapie, and for the price I don't mind a bit of fettling. Also flash, while annoying, is easy enough to deal with. 

The Marauder, on the other hand, is not cheap, at about £18.99 rrp for a forty plus year old mould. Again, due to its age I expected to do a bit of fettling but this is verging on scratchbuilding. Now my experience, such as it is, means I could resolve the issues but fundamentally I shouldn't need to.

However let's not condemn Airfix customer service yet. So far I suspect they have stuck to a script which says you must do a, b & c for them to process. Well I've done that, so now's the time to step up and use the opportunity to turn a mildly disgruntled customer into a satisfied one.

• Like 2

a bolt from the blue...

or, a distraction from my distraction...

or, a lovely jug...

Now never let it be said that only Airfix have production issues. The Revell P-47M tool is nearly twenty years old now I believe, and blimey it shows. More flash than Harry...I

44360400762_6039ee00a4_c.jpgJug! by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

42601087470_143ee5a1bc_c.jpgJug! by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

42601087360_80074db1ef_c.jpgJug! by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Cleaned up and lovely Sovereign dull dark green applied (lovely paint, 'orrible colour!):

42601087300_db0843c5ee_c.jpgJug! by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

44360400842_3c23289bd2_c.jpgJug! by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

If I could find the decals to do this scheme, I would.

44377130002_e45f865d66_c.jpgResearch... by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Eduard have obviously have done it in 1/32, but I haven't found a 1/72 scale set yet.

Eduard's box art and gift art print was drawn by Romain Hugault, a French artist of some talent:

44377130152_ce6fd23b02_c.jpgResearch... by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Perhaps a Warhawk next?

Research is one of the best bits of this hobby. 

30558487508_e582de0ac8_c.jpgResearch... by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

For some reason I have just become aware of this thread.  Amazing work and so much information.  I have yet to go through it all.

What caught my eye were the Harrier and Hawk builds of the new Airfix tools, both of which I have.  I'll be looking into those with more depth when I have time.

Thanks!

• Like 1

The 'pit was very dark, so I added a gentle dry brush to hopefully make the details "pop" a bit. The map case should probably be olive drab but I figured a bakelite appearance wouldn't look too far off, if it was even visible.

29492116477_a31ce4009b_c.jpg‘Pit by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

29492116487_3ee8244b70_c.jpg‘Pit by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

43521427815_ae2ccf0f4f_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

44380612032_0cdbe777de_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

44431090741_db7c2aa2c3_c.jpgJug by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

What caught my eye were the Harrier and Hawk builds of the new Airfix tools, both of which I have.  I'll be looking into those with more depth when I have time.

Both were straightforward - the Harrier being marginally easier I recall. Both are sitting on the shelf of shame in primer, waiting for paint enthusiasm to appear.

I was just having a look at my 1970-odd edition of the Marauder (bought off EBay cheap with no decals) and it’s as crisp as anything. There does seem to be something amiss with modern Airfix moulding because I see short shots (not as bad as yours mind) in most of their modern product, and other manufacturers just seem to produce sharper mouldings.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Plus ca change...

My run of bad luck/unrealistic expectations/annoying perfectionism continues.

Having filled, sanded and refilled the fuselage seams to a point i was happy with them, I turned to the (not-so) pointy end. The cowl and cooling fins are, well, atrocious.

This is they, after much cleaning, what you cannot see from the picture is that the surface finish represents rhinoceros hide.

30583923668_b51a18ce0f_c.jpgRubbish cowl by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Just some of the flash, lumps and general detritus so far removed can be seen scattered around. I suspect it is irredeemable. Nor does the aftermarket appear to offer a late D/M replacement.

I should've saved my pocket money and bought a Tamiya instead. I am not going to waste much more of my precious modelling time (of which I have little enough) faffing around with something this poor. The B-26 is pretty much the only game in town, so is worth persevering with. This, on the other hand, is not. Life as a paint mule beckons...

• Sad 3