The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

Reading through this thread, peeked my interest in these Commandoa Comics. So I got on Amazon. I've got the Battle of Britan Scramble on its way to my door for a total of $10.14.

Anywho, the build is looking fantastic!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 06/24 said:

@Procopiusis struggling manfully on with the Blenheim/Bisley duo while I sit marooned in the doldrums.

I wouldn't go that far, there's been a lot of whining.

• Haha 3

It's supposed.to be an out of the box quickie so I've used the rather simplified kit seats, the crew are Airfix, but one from the earlier tooling of the Hawk, one from a Lightning, with an arm from the kit crew so the trainee is holding the stick. The kit crew appeared to be dwarves or teenagers!

Interior painting is Humbrol acrylics, and will need a wash and perhaps a flat coat before fitting. I've sliced the front seat pilot off at the ankles, and boxed in so I can add weight forward of the instrument panel.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Thread drift alert! :D I'm guessing this is an ex RAF Sea King now operated by Heliops under contract to someone, UK Coastguard? :unsure: 

Steve.

Ex RN Cabs (two of them) training German pilots/crews I believe, operating out of Portland. 

• Thanks 1

@CedB did yours have the forward wing fences ready fitted? I seem to have boxings both with and without fitted wing fences, and fitting them was a pain! I thought I was being clever by filing a slot in the leading edge, but I did it too far outboard to start with, so had to bodge, I'm waiting for the foxes to set solid before I try and clean them up.

• Like 1

Probably only news to me, but the Airfix 151 Squadron airframe featured in the new boxing, had an eventful time in July 1983. On 22 July it was flying at the IAT at Greenham Common, one week later, it was written off following a mid air collision https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55494. Thankfully all four crew involved in the collision were able to eject successfully.

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

@CedB did yours have the forward wing fences ready fitted?

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

I'm waiting for the foxes to set solid before I try and clean them up.

Erm... wing fences? Are those to keep the foxes out? :shrug:

• Haha 1

Nice bunch of planes you're building! Looking good so far! :)

Håkan

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Erm... wing fences? Are those to keep the foxes out? :shrug:

Fixes, blasted auto-incorrect. Fences may not be the correct term, I mean these blighters:

27031893167_2432f53965_c.jpgHawk wing by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Now set and cleaned up as best I can.

8 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice bunch of planes you're building! Looking good so far! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan, they might look ok if I ever get them finished!

• Like 1

Note also the early style ejector seat headboxes - unfortunately I think my kit seats are too firmly fixed to replace, but I might try adding some extension pieces to fool the eye.

On 05/05/2018 at 08:16, 06/24 said:

Fixes, blasted auto-incorrect. Fences may not be the correct term, I mean these blighters

Ah, sorry mate, yep, I think they were already on the wings...

38812545570_d120106586_z.jpg

Easy (for me!) :)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hmm, I see to have acquired a new target...

29097674967_3c8c4f1bcb_c.jpgAirfix 1/72 Bf 109E-4 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

44035119861_d61216b796_c.jpgAirfix 1/72 Bf 109E-4 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Splendid box art, bargain price. Kit scheme is apparently for January 1940, but googling suggests the same scheme was around later in the year. The unfortunate pilot seems to have been killed during the Battle of Britain, according to the record here.

• Like 4

Now did I mention the bargain price? Hmm, well you get what you pay for, and in this case that's a kit moulded in India with minimal quality control. Flash, warped parts and massive sprue attachments make for an interesting build.

44035119631_ee34ab0dbe_c.jpgAirfix 1/72 Bf 109E-4 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

44035119291_19e8a3e2cd_c.jpgAirfix 1/72 Bf 109E-4 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The photo doesn't do the banana 'pit justice. As a result I've adopted an unconventional build sequence which I suspect may yet come back to haunt me.

• Like 1

In order to straighten the cockpit floor, I fitted it to the side before paint or detailing. Indeed I went the whole hog and closed up, and will attempt to brush paint the pit leaning in from the outside as it were.

A shame really because the office is quite busily and neatly detailed. No idea if any of the detail is right, mind you.

44035400301_bbbddf0667_c.jpgNurse, the clamps! by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

43986407692_61c0dbef8d_c.jpgAirfix 1/72 Bf 109E-4 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

44035119651_9ba31bdb79_c.jpgAirfix 1/72 Bf 109E-4 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 5