The Gentlemanly Pursuit

06/24

I think it’s a shame, given the general improvement in Airfix and other kits OOB, that they don’t make more of an effort with the seats. They are such a key part of the interior.

Rather than leave them plain, I’ve added some vague imitations of belts, I don’t really know what should be there but hopefully, with closed canopies on top, these Tamiya tape fakes will mislead the eye enough to think “something’s there” and move swiftly on.

37950744595_ccf6d232f8_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38806777042_5af28516ed_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

In other news, next week my employer moves to a new office, in the splendidly named Blenheim Place. May be all the excuse I need to start a new WW2 build. Oh, and there’s another land bound thing in the offing, but you honourable gentlemen won’t want to know about that!

• Like 4

I have this one in my stash and was going for a Belize based aircraft but have just found a decal sheet for a gr3 with lgb's so I might go for that. After seeing yours come together I think a resin cockpit set is also  in order. Will keep watching your progress 

• Like 1

Just caught up Jon - great progress!

I'm with you on the stash limitation - I too have decided to (try) not to buy any more before I've cleared some of the ones that have gathered dust... including a Gnat and Hawk for the 'arras.

Great stuff mate :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stash limitation is struggling on the IDF Puma, it seems to need so much after market. Still at least its not new kits.

Going to try for a 2:1 ratio next year, buy one (or less) for every two I build.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, as they say, now for something completely different...

My effort to get to binary ten as per @Procopius' Striking Back thread, and inspired by reading of the defenders of Wake Atoll in 1941

First, a bandit:

39153852602_69ce599b22_c.jpgA6M2 Zero by jongwinnett, on Flickr

And then something to shoot them down with:

38304977135_d8f961a66b_c.jpgA6M2 Zero by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

Unusually for me, I've elected to paint these with enamels, to avoid the need to prime which is (almost) impossible outdoors in a Scottish winter, and not family friendly indoors.

38473794974_1071801985_c.jpgA6M2 Zero by jongwinnett, on Flickr

It looks better in the flesh, honest...

i drilled led out the seat (shown mid-way) 

24320851217_aaa8ef9d99_c.jpgA6M2 Zero by jongwinnett, on Flickr

38304976855_813933904d_c.jpgA6M2 Zero by jongwinnett, on Flickr

24320848887_688fcb0a51_c.jpgA6M2 Zero by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Unusually for me, I've elected to paint these with enamels, to avoid the need to prime which is (almost) impossible outdoors in a Scottish winter, and not family friendly indoors.

Luckily for me, I have both a basement and a casual disregard for human life, two important arrows in the quiver of priming indoors.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Next the nose and wings. Don't do as I did and follow the instructions. You will find the top cowl and representation of the guns does not fit in after the fuselage has been closed up, necessitating the application of swearing and the removal of the useful shelf that is supposed to align it. Also don't pay any attention to the colour of the nose, I know it should be blue-black not plain black, it will be attended to when I can get to a shop!

38528131634_d15f0e1cca_c.jpgZero by jongwinnett, on Flickr

You can just make out a thin smear of filler in the wing root - I fitted the one piece lower wing first, then added the upper wings. The front of the wings did not align particularly well and I foresee a flexi sander in my and their near future.

• Like 3

I like your attitude towards stash reduction, my stash reduction measure foundered during the seasonal Aldi Airfix sale when a dozen “paint mules” fell in to the trolley!  Fortunately, SWMBO was at work so I was able to get them home and stashed before return of said lovely lady! :whistle:

• Haha 3

Jon, in isolation it's unlikely you'd notice any difference between black and the blue-black used on the cowling and rear cockpit deck - if you have a little dark blue to add to the black that would do very well, if not I'm sure you would get away with using 'neat' black :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Surely paint counts as a tool and is exempted from such pettifogging rules!

You are of course correct, but you misunderstand my intentions. Paint was purely an excuse, for in the new year, you and I have a date with 

A scarlet caterpillar, upon which all eyes were at once fixed, began to crawl steadfastly day by day across the map of Europe, dragging the whole war with it. – W S Churchill

And our friends in Kent have obliged by releasing this

38531617784_5524db3875_c.jpgA scarlet caterpillar by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Such extravagance was tolerated as it followed immediately after consuming this as my wife's birthday treat 

38531346184_0aaf626c39_c.jpgZero by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6

True that; paint counts as tools, not stash.

By the way, if it's Humbrol Midnight Blue, don't do it, that's a metallic blue as I recall, try 104 Oxford Blue if you can get it and mix with plenty of black :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Edit: Ninja'd by Jon, and now I am jealous, twice

• Like 2

Meanwhile the Zero is essentially complete apart from the sticky outy breaky offy bits, although I put my Colourcoats order in too late for the Christmas post, so it may have to get a coat of Humbrol if it is to be finished for Hogmanay.

The blue black of shopping excuse fame has turned out a little blue, but a glaze of pure black will solve that. It's currently in the low bake oven (hot water tank cupboard) curing. 

38531345694_31e2346f60_c.jpgZero by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 6