2018 Groupbuild calendar

After the excitement of the Groupbuild poll (and it was very exciting indeed in the last few days), we now come to the negotiation part.

I had originally intended to have nine slots through the year.  However, I changed my mind when I saw the cutthroat battle going on between the Brits Abroad, Maritime Patrol and MTO GBs. It became clear that the losing GB would only lose by sheer bad luck at the cutoff time.  I didn't think that was fair as they all seemed to be equally popular.   After those three there was a big gap before the next highest GB, which I didn't think could actually cross the line.

I therefore took the decision to have ten groupbuilds in 2018.

These are:

Carriers Ahoy!    

Hawker (Siddeley)   
Airfix: the Golden Years    
60s NATO vs Warsaw Pact in Europe    

Grumman   
The Pacific at War   
Britmodeller 10th Anniversary    

Brits Abroad    

Maritime Patrol including Coastal Command

Mediterranean Theatre of Operations II

The available slots are as follows:

20 Jan to 13 May

10 Feb to 3 Jun

24 Mar to 15 Jul

5 May to 26 Aug

2 Jun to 22 Sep

16 Jun to 7 Oct

28 Jul to 18 Nov

8 Sep to 30 Dec

20 Oct to 10 Feb 19

1 Dec to 24 Mar 19

Can the hosts of the successful GBs please contact me by PM over the next couple of days with their bids for these slots.  It will be mostly first come, first served, but I do reserve the right to make the final decisions should similar GBs and STGBs clash.

So...   over to the BM massive.  Let the pushing and shoving commence.  :D

• Like 6

The Big Announcement

"Oh...   but you've forgotten the big announcement!" I hear you say.

We've had a very democratic poll to choose the groupbuilds for 2018.  However, you must realise that the groupbuild area on BM is not a democracy. It is a benevolent dictatorship.  When Mike gave me this job he said that, just like He-Man, I have The Power!!!

2018 is a very auspicious year. There were two major (and sort of interconnected events) that still affect us today, a century later.   There were proposals for groupbuilds commemorating both events, but one didn't make the poll and the other didn't make the grade.

Personally, I think these two events were far too important for BM not to celebrate them in 2018.

As I have The Power, I have decided to ignore the poll and add these two GBs into the mix for 2018.  May I announce:

The Royal Air Force Centenary GB                  1 April 2018 to 22 July

Eleventh Hour: The Great War Commemorative GB                21 July to 11 November 2018

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

Being ex-RAF I'm very pleased there's a GB for the junior service who are not hidebound by all those stuffy traditions that the hoi-polloi and yachty toffs have!

Also very pleased to see a Great War GB, now I have to find out who makes a model of a short bottomed, ginger haired, big moustached, bandy legged Tommy in tropical gear so I can make a model of my great-grandfather who died of wounds sustained at Gallipoli.  RIP Henry.

Thanks to Enzo for displaying the wisdom of Solomon or is it Semolina? :hmmm:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is a great addition ... I was just thinking earlier what the 'announcement' would be, but was not expecting this pleasant surprise. 

Since they are century themes, maybe consider the RAF and WW1 GB's open year long, and allow crossovers from the other group builds - or would that be making them too special?

regards,

Jack

16 minutes ago, JackG said:

Since they are century themes, maybe consider the RAF and WW1 GB's open year long, and allow crossovers from the other group builds - or would that be making them too special?

I'm not too keen on the idea of year long GBs.  I think they will lose steam quickly after four or five months.  Experience has shown that the current four month length is ideal for GBs.  Besides, the two GBs in question have significant start/end dates.

• Like 4

Top job Enzo :thumbsup: My only question is who are you going to volunteer as hosts for the RAF special GB?

Edited by Col.

7 minutes ago, Col. said:

My only question is who are you going to volunteer as hosts for the RAF special GB?

That's all in hand.  I'm in negotiations with someone who has an excellent idea regarding the scope of the GB.

• Like 2

Well done Enzo :clap2: I didn't plan to participate in any GBs next year as I still have over 20 builds to complete :(

But I love GBs covering special events and as the RAF centenary and Eleventh Hour GBs have very little overlap, I give it another go and try to actually finish a model in a GB :)

Cheers, Peter

Here we go with the GB calendar for next year.  I will post a full calendar with GBs and STGBs in a seperate thread.

Britmodeller 10th Anniversary                                                         20 Jan to 13 May   @Black Knight

Hawker (Siddeley)                                                                             10 Feb to 3 Jun    @Col.

Carriers Ahoy!                                                                                     24 Mar to 15 Jul   @trickyrich

RAF Centenary                                                                                    1 Apr to 22 Jul    @Robert Stuart

Mediterranean Theatre of Operations II                                         5 May to 26 Aug  @vppelt68

Airfix: The Golden Years                                                                     2 Jun to 22 Sep   @Lawzer @Ventora3300

Brits Abroad                                                                                        16 Jun to 7 Oct   @Giorgio N

Eleventh Hour: commemorating the end of the Great War           21 Jul to 11 Nov  Robert Stuart

60s NATO v Warpac                                                                           28 Jul to 18 Nov  Col.

Pacific At War                                                                                      8 Sep to 30 Dec         trickyrich

Grumman                                                                                            20 Oct to 10 Feb 19   @TEMPESTMK5

Maritime Patrol and Coastal Command                                           1 Dec to 24 Mar 19   @Romeo Alpha Yankee  Robert Stuart

Phew!   Now I'm going to go and lie down in a darkened room... :D 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11