PK 61 HMS Ariadne

Bangor Lad

Although I've already got one entry into this Group Build, with Peter Hall releasing the etched set for HMS Ariadne I couldn't resist entering my second ship.

Ariadne is in an original but very battered Matchbox PK 61 box. I only bought Ariadne quite recently as my interest in the class had been piqued after reading an article on the class.

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3101_1.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg

Ariadne will benefit from Peter Hall’s Atlantic Models new etched set.

D1_F62_A6_B-_E668-41_AA-9_DE1-5_F38_B05_

I have Warship Profile no. 38 as primary reference plus whatever references I have in my library or has already been gleaned from the web. 

IMG_3104.jpg

Improvements will generally follow what is in the etched set although she may need some additional work depending on when exactly I’m going to depict her. A colour schemes has yet to be decided.

Other details to be added could include 3d printed light AA if needed plus crew figures, these might etched or 3d printed also. By all rights she should be belting along as the class were renowned for the high top speed. I might add some extra hull below the waterline to depict her heel as she turns. I will also need to add some flags. These might be hand painted or use Mike McCabe’s excellent Starling Models flags.

• Like 7

As an avid aircraft modeller (but Matchbox lover), this looks like yet another build to keep an eye on. 

I can only assume that the etch fret is quite small and the thought of reproducing 1/700 figures is just mind blowing! 

My knowledge of sea vessels in very primitive, so I'm sure I'll learn a little more about this class of ship as you progress. 

Cheers.. Dave 

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

As an avid aircraft modeller (but Matchbox lover), this looks like yet another build to keep an eye on. 

I can only assume that the etch fret is quite small and the thought of reproducing 1/700 figures is just mind blowing! 

My knowledge of sea vessels in very primitive, so I'm sure I'll learn a little more about this class of ship as you progress. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I added a few figures to some of my builds and now it's got to the stage where I don't think they look right without them. I've used etched figures by Gold Medal Models and Flyhawk, what I'm looking to try next are some 3d printed figures. Just hope the eyesight lasts to the end!

Cheers

I just remembered, the Airfix HMS Campbeltown box top by Charles Oats made heavy use of pink and purple, to quite stunning effect.

IMG_1904.jpg

I saw the original at the Hendon Airfix exhibition a year or two back. I thought it looked magnificent!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I just remembered, the Airfix HMS Campbeltown box top by Charles Oats made heavy use of pink and purple, to quite stunning effect.

IMG_1904.jpg

I saw the original at the Hendon Airfix exhibition a year or two back. I thought it looked magnificent!

Thank you for posting that, Tony. Lord, I'd forgotten how good that box top looked. I wonder if I could get away with a seascape in those colours!

Good choice,......this was a very special class of ship and was especially famous for their lone forays into the Med supplying both Malta and Tobruk,..... I look forward to following this one,

Cheers

Tony

Edit,....you could always do it as HMS Welshman in its French sloop disguise for one of its Malta runs, with painted on lower deck level and tips to funnels

Image result for hms welshman malta disguise

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tonyot said:

Good choice,......this was a very special class of ship and was especially famous for their lone forays into the Med supplying both Malta and Tobruk,..... I look forward to following this one,

Cheers

Tony

Edit,....you could always do it as HMS Welshman in its French sloop disguise for one of its Malta runs, with painted on lower deck level and tips to funnels

Now there's an idea!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not had a single chance to get to the workbench to make a start on this one or even the Kelly I had hoped to enter. When I do get a chance to start I'll put up a WIP on the maritime forum.

Cheers

• Like 1