1/72 Academy SB2C-4 Helldiver

I'm in the midst of selling my house and deciding where to go next, but still felt the need to build something. It's a little frustrating having your stash, reference materials and most of your tools in storage, so I chose a relatively simple kit: the 1/72 Academy Helldiver. It was a really nice build except for the landing gear attachment. Of course, if building one is fun, building lots is better, and this has become the first completion in an ongoing late-war Pacific build including USN and BPF aircraft, and chronicled in a Work in Progress thread that can be found here.

It's also my first non-Spitfire completion of the year - I wasn't sure other aircraft existed. But no need to worry, a Sword Seafire is on the way.

It's a Helldiver based on the USS Randolph during Operation Iceberg, the 1945 invasion of Okinawa.

100_0866

It's painted in Colourcoats WWII Glossy Sea blue (ANA 623), that's slightly different from later FS 15042 Glossy Sea blue used after the war.

I rarely apply many maintenance stencils, but I think they're necessary to break up the single colour scheme, and so I dove in and applied them all. I also 'wrinkled' the skin on the wings by filing some grooves in order to break up the ocean of Sea blue even more.

100_0876

Couldn't resist a tiny bit of leading edge chipping.

100_0868

Trying to replicate the box art.

100_0867

100_0878

100_0874

100_0871

The anti-glare patch in front of the windshield was painted Non-Specular Sea blue, and lightly weathered with chalk pastels, along with the walkways on the wings.

100_0864

• Like 48

Hi Cookie,

your take on the Beast is rather impressive. Was this paint scheme part of the Academy offering?

Great show!

Are you planning to stay in NM?

Cheers

JR 

• Thanks 1

Cookie,

Very nice clean build of the Academy kit! Great job on the  decaling and stenciling, too. Might I make one suggestion that would make this very good model even better? I don't have the Academy kit, but the prop doesn't look quite right for an SB2C-4. I have attached a link to a photo of a dash-4 Helldiver that shows the prop fitted to them; it is known as the Curtiss Electric asymmetric paddle blade prop. IIRC, it was also fitted to the P-47M and P-47N, so you could possibly snag one off of a Tamiya P-47D or a Revell P-47M kit. On some late production Helldivers, the spinner was not fitted, so you would just see the tapered prop hub dome as in the photo. I might have a spare prop in my parts bins, if you can't find one.

Mike

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5328/7078679781_43cbc74672_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Cookie,

I don't have the Academy kit, but the prop doesn't look quite right for an SB2C-4. I have attached a link to a photo of a dash-4 Helldiver that shows the prop fitted to them; it is known as the Curtiss Electric asymmetric paddle blade prop. 

Mike

Mike, I'm not sure if the Curtiss  assymetrical was as universal as you say or more appropriate for post war aircraft as I take that rescue aircraft to be. Here is a photo of a VB-84 SB2C-4 with what appears to me to be a good match for the prop in the kit.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

That's a beauty and a very attractive scheme.  Good luck with the move.

P.S.  You can't have enough Spitfires in my humble opinion.

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments and well wishes everyone!

20 hours ago, jean said:

Was this paint scheme part of the Academy offering?

Yes, it's one from the box. The white stripes come as decals, but I ended up masking and painting them. Academy has thoughtfully included a 'standalone' black '15' as well as one organic to the the white decals for the tail.

20 hours ago, jean said:

Are you planning to stay in NM?

No, my desire for clear breathing means I have to move away.

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice clean build of the Academy kit! Great job on the  decaling and stenciling, too. Might I make one suggestion that would make this very good model even better? I don't have the Academy kit, but the prop doesn't look quite right for an SB2C-4. I have attached a link to a photo of a dash-4 Helldiver that shows the prop fitted to them; it is known as the Curtiss Electric asymmetric paddle blade prop. IIRC, it was also fitted to the P-47M and P-47N, so you could possibly snag one off of a Tamiya P-47D or a Revell P-47M kit. On some late production Helldivers, the spinner was not fitted, so you would just see the tapered prop hub dome as in the photo. I might have a spare prop in my parts bins, if you can't find one.

Mike

Thanks for the comment, kind offer, and further information about the Helldiver prop Mike! The Academy prop does indeed look a little funny. Here is pic of the Helldiver I was going for. It definitely had the spinner, but the prop shape is frustratingly difficult to determine - it's cuffed for sure. I can't tell if it's a paddle blade or not. Would any four bladed Helldivers use the same 'straight' blade as the early P-47's? If so, I have a spare straight bladed prop from the Tamiya kit I built last year. Otherwise, I may have to take you up on your kind offer!

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Here is a photo of a VB-84 SB2C-4 with what appears to me to be a good match for the prop in the kit.

Hmmm, more food for thought on straight vs paddle, thanks Steve.

10 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Lovely job! It reminds me why it was one of my favourite aeroplanes as a kid. I built three of them back then, two Airfix and one Matchbox.

It's exceptionally rare to meet a Helldiver fan - even the beast needs a little love.

• Like 3

CB,

Yes, from the photo you posted, it looks like your Beast had the standard bladed CE prop; there was one other variation,  which was the latest of the types, a paddle blade prop with asymmetrical blades. I have attached links to photos of the two types. There are very good examples of the standard prop you need in the Hasegawa P-47D razorback or bubbletop, the Tamiya P-47D razorback, the Monogram snap tite B-26 (long OOP but the very best standard blade props!) The Airfix Helldiver and the Tamiya and Revell P-47s' also have very good asymmetrical blade props, which have the correct blade length and cuffs for the one you want to do- you can easily reshape the trailing edge of the blades to make the standard chord prop. The Hasegawa Thunderbolt props are a hair short in  length, but it's not very noticeable. I have spare Hasegawa P-47 and Airfix Helldiver props- if you can't locate any, PM me and I can send you one or both. The Airfix prop would give you the option of going with the standard or paddle blade prop option. The Academy prop tapers too much and the tips are pointed much too sharply. I hope I have been helpful.

Mike

http://www.flightjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/doc03442020170412093340_001.jpg

http://aircraft-in-focus.com/wp-content/gallery/sb2c-83479/img_4851-800x.jpg

http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/3/4/2/4232243.jpg?v=v4b659228861

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 72modeler said:

CB,

Yes, from the photo you posted, it looks like your Beast had the standard bladed CE prop; there was one other variation,  which was the latest of the types, a paddle blade prop with asymmetrical blades. I have attached links to photos of the two types. There are very good examples of the standard prop you need in the Hasegawa P-47D razorback or bubbletop, the Tamiya P-47D razorback, the Monogram snap tite B-26 (long OOP but the very best standard blade props!) The Airfix Helldiver and the Tamiya and Revell P-47s' also have very good asymmetrical blade props, which have the correct blade length and cuffs for the one you want to do- you can easily reshape the trailing edge of the blades to make the standard chord prop. The Hasegawa Thunderbolt props are a hair short in  length, but it's not very noticeable. I have spare Hasegawa P-47 and Airfix Helldiver props- if you can't locate any, PM me and I can send you one or both. The Airfix prop would give you the option of going with the standard or paddle blade prop option. The Academy prop tapers too much and the tips are pointed much too sharply. I hope I have been helpful.

Mike

http://www.flightjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/doc03442020170412093340_001.jpg

http://aircraft-in-focus.com/wp-content/gallery/sb2c-83479/img_4851-800x.jpg

http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/3/4/2/4232243.jpg?v=v4b659228861

Very helpful Mike, thanks for the info - yes the Academy prop seems a little too 'triangular' if that makes sense. I have a spare 'toothpick' prop from the Tamiya Razorback P-47, and I'll switch it out for that as soon as I have access to it. I think you're right in saying it will improve the overall look of the build. Thanks again!

Hey Cookie,

A fantastic-looking "beast". I was wondering exactly how it would look all painted up, as i've considered the paint scheme myself.

Mike, thanks for the Heads-Up about the propeller. I have a Tamiya Razorback Thunderbolt in my stash doing nothing and i could certainly requisition the prop for my needs.

Finally, i like the shade of Blue. I didn't know that Colourcoats made the WWII vintage Gloss Sea Blue. With the possible exception of the old AeroMaster enamels, this nuance in colour is one of those things most paint manufacturers whiffed at.

-d-

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cookie,

I was looking for a photo of an MTO B-25 for another poster and I found this great color shot of a Helldiver on Jeff Ethell's photo collection website. If you can get past the comely lass sitting on the cowling, this is the best photo I have found that shows the blade profile of the Curtiss Electric Helldiver prop, as well as the FS34151 applied to the wheel bays and gear struts. The thin yellow stripe below the prop tip yellow band, IIRC, indicates propeller blades made by A.O. Smith- P-47's and sometimes B-26's and P-61's also can be seen with the same stripes, and some blades had double stripes beneath the yellow band at the tip, which denoted another blade variant. I thought of your build when I saw this. Merry Christmas, BTW!

Mike

http://www.ww2color.com/search/webapps/slides/slides.php?action=update&primary_key=00137

Edited by 72modeler
  • Thanks 1