Airfix Canberra B(I).6

Lord Riot

It's a notorious tailsitter the Canberra, I think some even tipped up in real life if the fuel tanks were filled in the wrong order! 

So plenty of weight needed ...

27xfewz.jpg

As I'll be building her with the bomb doors closed, I've also used the interior bomb bay to create some structure in the nosewheel bay, otherwise it's just a void! 

More nose filing to follow ...

• Like 3

Fuselage halves together. Ready to set overnight before the nose job. There were holes under the tailplane roots for some reason, needed some filler.

jztf0w.jpg

Inside the front nosewheel bay. Much better with structure inside. Looks like that bomb bay door will need some filler too. It's a very old kit though to be fair. 

6zrces.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Fuselage halves together. Ready to set overnight before the nose job. There were holes under the tailplane roots for some reason, needed some filler.

No they did not

Canberra has a variable incidennce tailplane which often shows big gaps round the tailplane

This picture is of the Canberra in RAF Museum Hendon, you can see some of the 'not quite a closed up joint' on it

P1120505.jpg

This taken from underneath the record breaking aircraft, my picture so no problem if you reuse it

(of course as it is such a wonderful shot I wouldn't mind a few grand if you 'make a million from it overnight' ©)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

I think once painted a bit further forward, to the tape rather than the clear part, it might help with the overall look too. 

I couldn't really afford to buy a full conversion kit as well, so the sanding will have to do I think. It's hard to know when to stop though! 

I've got two replacement noses in my stash - resin one from Heritage and a Vac Form one from Aeroclub.  I really must give it a go some day.

Canberras had tail props so if all else fails, you can fabricate one to keep the nose on the ground.

• Like 2

I was thinking about cockpit detail, but it's basically just a black pit isn't it! ...

zjulox.jpg

t81z83.jpg

I took these in the Canberra nose at the Avro Heritage Museum at Woodford. Well worth a visit if you haven't been already.

• Like 3

It looks to me that you have greatly improved the shape of the nose which is encouraging given that the old Aeroclub nose is no longer available.

Martian

• Like 1

Back to the Canberra, and I'm really impressed with how well the parts fit together on this old kit, the wings especially. Almost seamless.

I did cut out the plug in each jet pipe though as it was far too noticeable, almost like a FOD guard!

cibh1.jpg

• Like 3

Given that you have removed the lip around the canopy, it might be worth testing it for fit. The question in my mind here is has the removal of the lip left the canopy overhanging the fuselage sides? If so, better to find out now when it will be easier to do something about it, if not then so much the better. You may of course, already done this.

Martian

• Like 2

Also given (sorry Martian) that you have found the kit to be excellent fit-wise are you sure you needed to remove the lip of the canopy?

I think it was simply Airfix's way of adding the thickened solid part of the canopy  without making a very thick clear part

You may find you need to build up the base of the clear part to rest the canopy on

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS-qYsr_AKAk5pAkoQz8S

This might help

• Like 1