Future? Klear?

Uncle Pete

I've been looking into improving my decaling and reading about using Klear or Future floor wax to prep to model.  Seems one can't find it any more.  There's a dead thread from 2012 about it but I thought I'd solicit new info if anybody has any.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  Any reason I shouldn't just give it a spray of clear varnish?  And how does one matt it down again after?  Matt varnish?  (That seems too obvious to be real!)  And, if so, does it stick to the floor wax okay or is there another step I don't know about?

Others more knowledgeable about this will correct me if I've got it wrong, but Johnson's Klear, or to give it it's US name, Future, has changed it's formula. It used to be the go to stuff for gloss varnish, but now I'm not so sure. I use it occasionally, but mine is one of the original ones, pre formula change. Mostly, I use Tamiya's Clear for gloss varnishing. And yes, it is as simple as covering with matt vanish to matt the surface down afterwards. It will adhere to the gloss. There are many different brands of varnish on the market, both glass and matt as well as being both acrylic base and solvent. Art shops do some very good ones.

HTH's.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lakeland Quickshine is a very good substitute. A clear self levelling water based acylic clear gloss. Strips with ammonia if necessary. Brush or spray. If you airbrush, Windsor and Newton Galeria Matt Varnish, thinned with water. Alternatively Games Workshop Purity Seal rattle can. In all instances, thin, light coats or it may go milky. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Others more knowledgeable about this will correct me if I've got it wrong, but Johnson's Klear, or to give it it's US name, Future, has changed it's formula. It used to be the go to stuff for gloss varnish, but now I'm not so sure. I use it occasionally, but mine is one of the original ones, pre formula change. Mostly, I use Tamiya's Clear for gloss varnishing. And yes, it is as simple as covering with matt vanish to matt the surface down afterwards. It will adhere to the gloss. There are many different brands of varnish on the market, both glass and matt as well as being both acrylic base and solvent. Art shops do some very good ones.

HTH's.

John.

This is the new klear future https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pledge-Future-Surface-Protect-Restore/dp/B000ARPH4C and works very well.

You could also use Alclad gloss or x22 thinned with acetone free nail varnish remover.

• Thanks 1

I started using Klear in 2005 a few years after getting back into the hobby and used it non stop up until we shifted to Norway a couple of years back. It's great stuff, I used it for canopies and as a gloss coat both prior to and after decalling, and I never had any probs with it even though I use enamel paints.

Anyway fast forward to here and I didn't bring my old bottle of Klear over with me here. I have been forced to use the Pledge Extra Protection Wax which is/was called Pledge Multi Surface in the UK and is the milky coloured replacement to the original Klear. I was a bit worried to start with but happily I have found that it behaves exactly as the old Klear - it brushes on beautifully, self levels, dries completely clear and any clear parts dipped in it come out super clear and transparent just like the old stuff. Apart from being perfumed and having a milky colour in the bottle I've found it behaves just like the old Klear so I'd suggest if you're in the UK and can find Pledge Multi Surface go for it, or if you're on the Continent or Scandinavia and can find Pledge Extra Protection Wax go for it.

• Like 1

As far as i know, the white bottle of the wax is only available at sainsburys but last time i checked they had stopped selling it. This version is a lot thinner than the one listed below.

I tweeted to pledge and there's no plan for pledgeuk to sell https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pledge-Future-Surface-Protect-Restore/dp/B000ARPH4C in the uk. Instead we need to use amazon.co.uk and get it imported.