Seasonal Vulcan Diorama Idea for Someone?

Army_Air_Force

Wonderful plane!

When I was young I was visiting England, in the '80, with the IACE (International Air Cadet Exchange). We wisited a "church yard", and saw a wonderful Vulcan that had taken part i the Falkland conflict. It gave me special feelings to se the light blue flag on the side. The plane is just wonderful with its clean lines and enormous wings!

8-)

When there was a danger of snow on the wings this was the only time we in the RAF got a Rum ration (in the middle of the night sweeping snow off the wings of about 15 Vulcans). 1960's RAF Cottesmore. You wore a harness and a safety line suspended from a "Giraffe" because you could go down those wings like the Cresta Run.

John

• Like 9

No RAF Cottesmore, so I guess it must have been the winter of 1967 which was particularly bad IIRC. It would take a lot to tip a fueled Vulcan but the weight might be a problem and after all the a/c had to be ready at short notice.

John

The second photo looks like a diorama theme that might interest @tiking I've not seen him do a plane yet, but he does like his cranes, diggers and dozers etc etc and anyway there's always a first time for everything.

BTW as a kid I had a plastic model 'dart' that you fired using a catapult. It was a single moulded piece of polyurethane, its shape based on the Vulcan (it may have been advertised as such) with a wingspan of approximately 12inches and weighing about 1lb, it flew fast, long and true, but REALLY hurt if you fired it at your brother's head.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, John Aero said:

25 minutes ago, John Aero said:

No RAF Cottesmore, so I guess it must have been the winter of 1967 which was particularly bad IIRC. It would take a lot to tip a fueled Vulcan but the weight might be a problem and after all the a/c had to be ready at short notice.

John

Its XL361 at Goose Bay.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Yes, it was what was the North East Aircraft Museum, now the North East Land Sea and Air Museum, next to the Nissan Car Factory which was built on what was RAF Usworth. It was January 2010, a particularly bad winter, and the museum staff couldn't safely keep up with the snow fall.

Here's a more recent picture of XL319, part way through a repaint.

vulcan79.jpg

• Like 3

On 2017-12-02 at 7:04 PM, Badder said:

The second photo looks like a diorama theme that might interest @tiking I've not seen him do a plane yet, but he does like his cranes, diggers and dozers etc etc and anyway there's always a first time for everything...

Rearguards,

Badder

Hehe! No planes...yet! But I have had an idea to incorporate a plane to my advantage. The idea has been lurking in the background since 2005. I have just have not come around to starting on it yet.  But don't be surprise if you log into the forum and suddenly see a build from me.

• Like 1

Yes she look's a lot better now she's having a repaint,I love this small but interesting museum managed a visit to the cockpit a few years ago

of this and the F-100 Sabre.

DSCN0999%20640x480_zpsikym5mwg.jpg

DSCN0990%20640x480_zps4yd6dhhv.jpg

DSCN0991%20640x480_zpsftlyyoue.jpg

DSCN0993%20640x480_zpswzj2nyk5.jpg

• Like 3