Over the wire (and into the darkness) UPDATED!

Hi all,

This is my stab at the 1/35 Masterbox 'WW1 British Infantry before the attack' diorama set, fun to build, I hope i've done the kit and the men who went over the top justice.

Ive now revised the trench with a simplified muddier terrain, seen new pics below.

Cheers

Simon

overthewire2.jpg

overthewire1.jpg

overthewire3.jpg

overthewire4.jpg

overthewire5.jpg

PS: the title comes from a song by New Model Army :-)

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Cheers Corsair!

I see what you mean about the terrain - I actually intended this to be somewhere in the Somme but struggled to get the right look, the Somme area is actually very chalky but the lighter stuff I put down didn't really work.

But you've given me an idea, the kit comes with 2 identical trench sides and I have some 1/35 ANZACS so may use this section for them with some mods and have another go at the other one for these guys!!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

when I see scenes like this, it really reminds me just how lucky we are and that those who fought and fell before us, did so in order to bring us the better world we live in today

absolutely brilliant work there - an emotional reminder of the bravery of others.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, SimonR said:

Thanks again guys, my second attempt at creating a muddier terrain is under way so I'll keep you posted!!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Great idea to use this trench for the Anzacs and make another for the Brits!

Are you going for wet mud with puddles in the bottom of the trench, or relatively dry mud? Please, if you go for wet mud, DON'T make it glossy! Wet mud is at the most, a bit satin, but rarely ever glossy.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Cheers for feedback chaps.

Well here goes, take 2 with added mud - as you can see Badders I open for dryish mud :-)

Any better?

overthewire6.jpg

overthewire7.jpg

overthewire8.jpg

overthewire9.jpg

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 12

That's good looking mud Simon! Realistic texture and colour. I am glad to see you didn't 'gloss' it because it looks so unnatural when people do. Water is glossy, mud isn't!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Cheers Badder, its good old Norfolk garden mud mixed with PVA - bit grainy but I'll work on this for my next project!!

Thanks for the comments, I've only recently got into dioramas again, just got a bit bored of building aircraft and fancied a change!

Simon

Indeed. One of my favourite songs by one of my favourite bands. Been a fan since about 91, first saw them on their small venues tour in a grotty little club in Greenock in ‘92. 👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goggsy said:

Indeed. One of my favourite songs by one of my favourite bands. Been a fan since about 91, first saw them on their small venues tour in a grotty little club in Greenock in ‘92. 👌

Brilliant - my first gig was Exeter on the No Rest tour in 85 - I took my eldest son to see Justin on the solo tour in November and he was blown away!

Our paths may have crossed at some point!

Cheers

Si

• Like 1

Brilliant - my first gig was Exeter on the No Rest tour in 85 - I took my eldest son to see Justin on the solo tour in November and he was blown away!

Our paths may have crossed at some point!

Cheers

Si

Superb, some of the old Militia must have still been on the go back then? Were they as radge as they were made out to be? Good one for getting your son into it, you really have to see them live to get how good they are.

I followed them for a few tours in the 90s, doing it old school hitching everywhere and sleeping rough. I was never “following” in the tribal sense as I kept myself to myself mostly but it was good fun. I also met Ed Alleyne Johnson busking in York a couple of years ago - lovely bloke.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2017 at 7:40 PM, goggsy said:

Superb, some of the old Militia must have still been on the go back then? Were they as radge as they were made out to be? Good one for getting your son into it, you really have to see them live to get how good they are.

I followed them for a few tours in the 90s, doing it old school hitching everywhere and sleeping rough. I was never “following” in the tribal sense as I kept myself to myself mostly but it was good fun. I also met Ed Alleyne Johnson busking in York a couple of years ago - lovely bloke.

I think its fair to say some of the early gigs were a bit lively ;)

I hit my peak in the late 80's early 90's doing the sleeping rough bit, but still managed to get to 3 gigs on the last tour!! Been to York quite a few times but never been that lucky!!

• Like 1

I think its fair to say some of the early gigs were a bit lively ;)

I hit my peak in the late 80's early 90's doing the sleeping rough bit, but still managed to get to 3 gigs on the last tour!! Been to York quite a few times but never been that lucky!!

He’s there quite often I understand, Chester as well. I think he divides his time between the two. I went back to the office all excited and one of my colleagues said “Oh him. He’s there all the time”. Bloody Luddite, she’s probably into Will Young or something.

Anyway, back on topic - great little dio, I like what you’ve done with the mud as well. It’s quite a hard thing to model.

• Like 1

Great model.  As others have said it brings it home to us how much they went through.  And that includes my Great-Uncle, 13th Durham Light Infantry, lost on the Somme August 1916. :poppy:

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

Great model.  As others have said it brings it home to us how much they went through.  And that includes my Great-Uncle, 13th Durham Light Infantry, lost on the Somme August 1916. :poppy:

Thanks and respects to your Gt uncle Mike.

I think Masterbox (or is it ICM) have done a great job with the figures on this set.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Excellent job on the diorama and the figures, I like the different shades of khaki in the uniforms.  These sets from Masterbox do form the basis for some good ideas; they could have done with making the trench a bit deeper, though, as the second picture in your second set shows, the heads of the standing figures are actually above the parapet, not conducive to a long life on the Western Front!  I have several sets of these, and the 'Hand to Hand Fight' set that I fully intend to use one day.  I have also been accumulating sets of Tamiya sand bags to beef up the parapet a bit.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2017 at 8:11 PM, 593jones said:

Excellent job on the diorama and the figures, I like the different shades of khaki in the uniforms.  These sets from Masterbox do form the basis for some good ideas; they could have done with making the trench a bit deeper, though, as the second picture in your second set shows, the heads of the standing figures are actually above the parapet, not conducive to a long life on the Western Front!  I have several sets of these, and the 'Hand to Hand Fight' set that I fully intend to use one day.  I have also been accumulating sets of Tamiya sand bags to beef up the parapet a bit.

Thanks for the kind words - never gave the height of the trench a thought until you mentioned it so a good shout to stock up on sandbags!

Cheers Simon