1:48 Display Stands - What do you use?

nheather

I'm normally an AFV modeller but for a change I have just bought myself an aircraft - a 1:48 Airfix Hurricane off a member here.

I used to make loads of aircraft when I was a child - that was over 40 years ago and models back then each came with a display stand.

I note that is not the case any more though I see that Airfix do sell the stands (exactly like a remember) in sets of about 5 asssorted sizes.

But being a skinflint, I only want one stand, so I don't want to buy a set costing more than the model, I thought I'd ask first on here to see what you guys use.

Also I note that the Airfix stands are primarily for 1:72 but says that may be suitable for some 1:48, I guess it means smaller models and the Hurricane would qualify.

Cheers,

Nigel

For 1/48, some of the larger clear plastic stands will do, but honestly, the home made ones using a wooden base and clear acrylic rods look very pro. 

You could possibly find a wood base at a trophy shop, but if you really want to skimp, just a plain plank varnished up will do - doesn't have to be ornately carved.   

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

Hi Nigel,

Are you going 'wheels up' then or 'in flight' as others might say.  The 'fashion' seems to be for 'wheels down' or 'static'.  I'm a 'wheels up' man myself - well currently and another notable 'in flight' member is @CedB

I generally use a wooden base and put some kind of 'graphic' on it and I support my aircraft on 3mm clear acrylic rod.  So as not to damage the little beauties I drill out a 0.5mm hole in the rod and model and use a domestic sewing pin in as the joining point.

This is what the pins look like...

photo_-_Copy.jpg

...and here is a sample hole - right in the middle - by the amber under light - it's so small that a single drop of paint would mean 'it had never even been there'...

IMG_3010.jpg

I'm never going to win a competition as you can see - but I do like a nice display...

02_right_down.jpg

I hope that gives you a couple of ideas - Steve;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

..whoops just realised I used a black stand on a black background - not a bright idea :doh:

this shows it better - 9mm MDF bevelled and painted black and the 'brass' plaque on top is just an inkjet print...

IMG_2626.jpg

6x9.jpg

...amazing what you can do with a computer and a printer :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@BIG X, very nicely done.

I would say I'm a static/ wheels-down man but I think that is mainly due to the total lack of pilots...their was always a shortage of pilots.

And sa much as I would like a nice display, it doesn't seem to happen, it's something I must improve on.

• Like 1

Its an opportunity to be creative with displaying the model. You can source good pilot figures from PJ Productions and PE prop-blurs from Propblur.com, landscape overview from Google Maps...

DSC_1310.JPG

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Courageous said:

@BIG X, very nicely done.

I would say I'm a static/ wheels-down man but I think that is mainly due to the total lack of pilots...their was always a shortage of pilots.

And sa much as I would like a nice display, it doesn't seem to happen, it's something I must improve on.

If your looking for 'volunteer pilots' you can always put an appeal out on here.  I bought a load of 1/48 ICM stuff and was mortified to find that they don't come with any crew.  But a quick begging letter on here brought me a motley squadron of pilots from a few members on here who go 'wheels down' and just don't use them.

• Like 1

For this I used some mdf  cut to shape , vehicle wrap vinyl , googled 'English countryside , blurred the image in Corel  , printed and laminated .

Stainless steel tig rod into mounts in the models:
basechecks0001_zpspxyyzcwo.jpg

basechecks0006_zpstgvlme1g.jpg

Fairly rare Teknics gesturing pilot:

IMG_4404.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1